Notices
968 Forum 1992-1995

Will the Firewall Brace by Only944 work on a 968?

Old 02-02-2014, 05:44 PM
MGW-Fla
Race Car

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Will the Firewall Brace by Only944 work on a 968?

Will this new Firewall Brace that is made by Only944 & just made available two weeks ago, fit on a 968? On the web site they list: "Application: 924 (?), 944 (83-91), 951 (86-91)". Since its a 944 web site, I didn't want to assume that it wouldn't work on a 968.

http://only944.com/partscatalog/only/firewallbrace.html

I asked on a firewall brace thread in the 924/931/944/951/968 Forum forum here on RL about a month ago if anyone was familiar with this brace, but no one answered me. https://rennlist.com/forums/924-931-...light=firewall

I sent an email to the Only944 owner, Kyle Yost, and sent a request on their web site, a week ago. I did receive a return receipt from his wife Lisha within 24 hours, so I know they received at least my email, but no other response.

I just received my replacement clutch master cylinder, slave cylinder, & hose from Pelican on Friday. So I want to know if this brace is a viable option since I'll be right there. The brace looks very substantial & worth the $94 & an additional shim at $15. I'd buy this brace if I knew it would work on a 968. But I'm not wanting to go thru the time & hassle to be a guinea pig on it either.
Attached Images  
Old 02-02-2014, 06:22 PM
monteolsen1
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by MGW-Fla
Will this new Firewall Brace that is made by Only944 & just made available two weeks ago, fit on a 968? On the web site they list: "Application: 924 (?), 944 (83-91), 951 (86-91)". Since its a 944 web site, I didn't want to assume that it wouldn't work on a 968. http://only944.com/partscatalog/only/firewallbrace.html I asked on a firewall brace thread in the 924/931/944/951/968 Forum forum here on RL about a month ago if anyone was familiar with this brace, but no one answered me. https://rennlist.com/forums/924-931-...light=firewall I sent an email to the Only944 owner, Kyle Yost, and sent a request on their web site, a week ago. I did receive a return receipt from his wife Lisha within 24 hours, so I know they received at least my email, but no other response. I just received my replacement clutch master cylinder, slave cylinder, & hose from Pelican on Friday. So I want to know if this brace is a viable option since I'll be right there. The brace looks very substantial & worth the $94 & an additional shim at $15. I'd buy this brace if I knew it would work on a 968. But I'm not wanting to go thru the time & hassle to be a guinea pig on it either.
I'm only guessing, but it seems to me if it works all the way up to the 91s, it should fit the 968.

Monte
Old 02-02-2014, 07:07 PM
John Etnier
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm not wanting to go thru the time & hassle to be a guinea pig on it.
And apparently a person doing business as "Only 944" has the same inclination.
Old 02-03-2014, 07:09 PM
MGW-Fla
Race Car

Originally Posted by John Etnier
And apparently a person doing business as "Only 944" has the same inclination.
Well you'd think it'd be cost effective as a manufacturer to do a little R&D to expand & maximize your potential customer base. Sure seems like there are many 968ers having the need for a firewall brace of this type. All it'd take is hooking up with a 968er who is changing out their clutch master cylinder & see how the brace would fit. Hey, maybe if he hasn't done so yet, I can volunteer to be the guinea pig & trade out product fitment feedback for a potential free brace!
Old 02-04-2014, 01:48 AM
alxdgr8
Rennlist Member

Received 52 Likes on 34 Posts

Might want to check out this thread:
https://rennlist.com/forums/944-turb...forcement.html

Seems like these type of reinforcements if done incorrectly will kill your master cylinder quickly due to improper angle.
Old 02-04-2014, 07:39 AM
Paul Waterloo
Rennlist Member

Received 215 Likes on 139 Posts

Originally Posted by alxdgr8

Seems like these type of reinforcements if done incorrectly will kill your master cylinder quickly due to improper angle.
I forgot....but I bought one of those....he hasn't made them just yet or they are in production, but for $100, I figure I could at least give it to the next owner if I don't install it!

;-)
Old 02-04-2014, 09:18 AM
MGW-Fla
Race Car

Originally Posted by alxdgr8

I believe he has addressed this with the shim to keep the angle correct so the master cylinder doesn't become damaged from the rod not being able to work properly.

From his web site: "The firewall brace shim is needed to correctly angle the clutch master cylinder after a brace is installed. Firewall braces from other companies might not have came with this shim, so we are offering it. If a shim was not installed while installing a firewall brace then most likely the clutch master cylinder push rod is binding on the master cylinder. This is obviously not good. Our shim will correctly position the master cylinder back to the factory angle, fixing any binding."
Old 02-04-2014, 01:55 PM
alxdgr8
Rennlist Member

Received 52 Likes on 34 Posts

I believe he has addressed this with the shim to keep the angle correct so the master cylinder doesn't become damaged from the rod not being able to work properly.

From his web site: "The firewall brace shim is needed to correctly angle the clutch master cylinder after a brace is installed. Firewall braces from other companies might not have came with this shim, so we are offering it. If a shim was not installed while installing a firewall brace then most likely the clutch master cylinder push rod is binding on the master cylinder. This is obviously not good. Our shim will correctly position the master cylinder back to the factory angle, fixing any binding."
Ah, I didn't actually click the link. Good to see they did it correctly.
Old 02-05-2014, 10:56 AM
MGW-Fla
Race Car

Originally Posted by Paul Waterloo
I forgot....but I bought one of those....he hasn't made them just yet or they are in production, but for $100, I figure I could at least give it to the next owner if I don't install it!;-)
So you pre-ordered the brace but haven't received it yet. Their web site went from Pre-Order a month ago, to now showing In Stock - Yes. Have you received any info from him as to when to expect it? I'm wondering why they would send me a return receipt from my attempts to contact them over a week ago, but yet have not answered my email or contact on his web site.
Old 02-07-2014, 10:34 AM
Paul Waterloo
Rennlist Member

Received 215 Likes on 139 Posts

Send him a PM. I don't know if he had them completed yet, just PayPal'd him about a week ago, I'm going to say they were not made at that point.
Old 02-07-2014, 11:22 AM
MGW-Fla
Race Car

I don't know the name he goes by here on RL to send him a pm. I did send him a question through both his web site "contact" page, and the same question to his actual email address provided on the web site. I received a return receipt from his wife Lisha on Jan 27th, so I know they received my question. But I have not gotten any actual reply from them yet regarding my question, & that's going on two weeks ago now.
Old 02-08-2014, 08:40 PM
J1NX3D
Three Wheelin'

Received 115 Likes on 79 Posts

He is 'GreenWater' on pelican and here but doesn't post on RL. (inactive since Nov 2011)

He's been great for the 944 cars, I'd say he hasn't had anyone serious enough approach him to test his products on 968's. his products he seems to develop from need for his own early 944. I'm using his hatch pin bushings, short shifter and shifter lever.
Old 02-09-2014, 12:51 AM
MGW-Fla
Race Car

Thanks, I sent him a PM over on Pelican, I hope he can shed some light on this.
Old 02-10-2014, 08:48 PM
MGW-Fla
Race Car

Ok, traded some pm's with Kyle over on Pelican. He had sent me an email reply, but it never made it, can happen. He was very helpful & responsive. Since he doesn't have access to a 968 to check the fitment, I ordered one to be the guinea pig. He was gracious enough to offer to pay shipping both ways if it doesn't fit & I need to return it. I don't think that will be necessary.

My 968 & 928 are in a car show the 1st weekend in March. I'd like to do the work myself & I have a friend willing to help me. But with time at a premium for me right now, I will likely take my 968 to my mechanic with the parts to change out my clutch master, slave & hose. I will see what he thinks is the best path with the firewall brace. If I understand correctly, to remove the brake booster, which is required to use Kyle's brace, the intake has to come off? I will see what he thinks is the best route and/or the most cost effective; Removal of the intake & booster, or cutting Kyle's firewall brace in half to avoid removing the booster(& intake), then adding in an angle brace on the other side, from the firewall brace to the inner fender. Kyle said he thought that route would result in it being sturdy enough. But he questioned whether there would be enough room to drill the holes needed to mount his brace if the booster is in place. We'll see how it ends up.
Old 05-18-2015, 02:21 PM
Chubs_McFunn
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I know this is an old thread, but I'm going to have to replace my clutch master cylinder soon, and wanted to know if this brace worked on the 968.

Thanks

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Will the Firewall Brace by Only944 work on a 968?