Notices
993 Forum 1995-1998
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Remember the car which wouldn't start when buying vanilla ice cream?

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-2004, 04:16 AM
Miraculix
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Remember the car which wouldn't start when buying vanilla ice cream?

Did you ever hear about this guy who drove his car to the supermarket to buy ice cream?

When he stopped to get chocolate, everything was fine..

But, everytime he got vanilla, the car wouldn't start?

The mechanics worked and worked on the car but couldn't get the issue solved. Finally the owner told one of the mechanics to come with him and get some vanilla ice cream. He did and the car wouldn't start.

Turns out the chocolate ice cream was placed just by the entrence of the supermarket, and the vanilla was placed on the totally opposite side of the store so it took him a couple of minutes more to get the vanilla and therefore the car behaved like this.

This is EXACTLY the same issues I have with my car and I can't remember how this mans car-issues got solved. Mine haven't been solved for about 6 months now and it's killing me.
Old 04-26-2004, 04:21 AM
Miraculix
Pro

Originally posted by nile13
My favorite related story is this (read somewhere a couple of years ago):
An owner of a Volvo complains of the most bizzare problem. When he goes to the store for an ice cream, the car doesn't restart. That's not the weird part. It only happens when he gets vanilla ice cream. When he gets cookie dough ice cream, the car restarts just fine. Volvo restrains itself from calling the local loonie bin just long enough to notice that the guy is complaining for a looong time now. They finally send a mechanic with him on his ice cream runs. Whaddaya know, the guy is right. Vanilla ice cream indeed makes the problem obvious and repeatable.
I could make a quiz out of this, but I wouln't. The issue is simple - vanilla ice cream is right in the front of the supermarket, he grabs it, pays, gets right back to the car. The car doesn't restart when hot. The other ice cream is waaay back in the frozen isle (those of us who are interested in marketing and merchandizing know why). The car has a bit of a chance to cool down while he schleps through the store, and starts fine.
Sounds a bit like an urban legend, but plausible and funny enough.
Old 04-26-2004, 05:14 AM
SLVR
Pro

Hi Thomas,

I know you have posted details of the efforts up to now but it would help if you posted the work done and part swapped up to this point so that people can refocus on this.

Rgds,
Louis
Old 04-26-2004, 10:22 AM
John H
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 67 Likes on 47 Posts

This penguin was having car problems so he drove it to a shop for repairs. When he got to the shop the mechanic said he would look at it and it would take an hour or so. The penguin stood around for a little bit and noticed an ice cream shop across the street. Everyone knows how much penguins like ice cream. He goes across the street and buys an ice cream cone. Because penguins don't have hands he had a hard time holding on to it while he ate. Anyway, after he is finished he goes back across the street to find the mechanic was finished looking at his car. The mechanic says, "It looks like you blew a seal". The penguin responds, "No, really, it's just ice cream".

Sorry, could not resist.
Old 04-26-2004, 10:41 AM
Ray Calvo
Passed On
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Angry

Hey, Miraculix, you numnut! if you want help, giver us facts, not dopey stories.

What do you mean car won't start? Does it crank or not? How long did you drive the car before stopping it and run into your problems? Does the ignition light dim as you turn the key to "start"?

Reason is I had a possible similar problem on old '84 Carrera. After driving the car for some time (i.e., engine/oil etc. is up to temperature), if I parked it for more than a few minutes, car absolutely refused to crank. No noise; no "click" of the starter solenoid. If I left the car parked for about half an hour, then it would start. I tried a new starter solenoid; no help. I then bought a complete used starter from a local Porsche aftermarket repair house. Put it in; problem solved. Apparently, the starter had a heat-related wiring fault. After driving the car for awhile, shutting off the engine drew heat to the starter housing and opened the wiring circuit.

On my car when I turned the key to start, go no change in the dash lights; brightness was unchanged. If yours dim severely, that is a good indication your starter is bad (wouldn't expect it to be the battery if it starts OK later).
Old 04-26-2004, 10:55 AM
DJF1
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 63 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally posted by Ray Calvo
Hey, Miraculix, you numnut! if you want help, giver us facts, not dopey stories.

Classic !!!!!!!!!!

Thanks for the morning laugh ,

BTW I do agree with you ,Miraculix you need to state the full history of what has been done to the car and the symptoms to expect some meaningfull answers. There might also be a possibility that your mechanic is not that experienced with 993's??? Have you tried someone else to try and deal with it?
Old 04-26-2004, 11:05 AM
graham_mitchell
Banned

Received 442 Likes on 241 Posts

It's all in an earlier thread:

https://rennlist.com/forums/showthre...threadid=89027
Old 04-26-2004, 11:14 AM
Miraculix
Pro

https://rennlist.com/forums/showthre...threadid=96171

https://rennlist.com/forums/showthre...hreadid=112402

https://rennlist.com/forums/showthre...hreadid=120290

https://rennlist.com/forums/showthre...hreadid=125239 (Newest thread)
Old 04-26-2004, 11:15 AM
Rick
Addict
Rennlist Lifetime Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'm not sure which is funnier...John's joke or Ray's response!!

ROTFLMAO

Old 04-26-2004, 11:17 AM
Miraculix
Pro

All I wanted was to know how the Volvo guy solved his problem and that's why I asked.

I've posted so many threads about this issue I didn't want another one, just wanted to know about the Volvo.

BTW, for the record.. The car has been with 3 different Porsche mechanics.
2 Porsche dealers and 1 independent Porsche mechanic.
The car is now at Porsche Center, Stockholm..
Old 04-26-2004, 11:20 AM
Miraculix
Pro

John, Ray, Rick:

I'm not laughing.. (at all)
Old 04-26-2004, 11:27 AM
John H
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 67 Likes on 47 Posts

Sorry, just trying to lighten the mood abit. Here's what I am dealing with:

I feel your pain.
Old 04-26-2004, 11:34 AM
willisit
Racer

Miraculix.. I heard the same story about your Volvo man except the car was a TransAm.. I guess the marque changes from time to time.

The problem in that case was heatsoak. I'm not aware of the details because it was a story (albeit a true one) and the "fix" wasn't listed but heatsoak was the problem.... sorry I cannot be more help!
Old 04-26-2004, 11:45 AM
Nemick42
Instructor

If in fact it is heat related, and sounds like it might be, it could be vapor lock. I know some of the oplder cars have an accumulator next to the fuel filter, which is supposed to keep the fuel system pressurised to help prevent this.

I understand that these can sometimes be less than reliable and allow just the kind of behaviour you are describing. I don't know if the 993 even has this item, but it might be worth researching.

How long does the car have to sit before it will start again?
Old 04-27-2004, 06:27 AM
SLVR
Pro

Hi Thomas,
Sorry to see this problem is still around. Did you get the crank position sensor changed as per Steve Weiner's recommendation??

PS. Don't worry too much, I am into the fifth month trying to import and register my car. In the interim, no driving. Everytime I think I have all the paperwork ready something else pops-up.

Quick Reply: Remember the car which wouldn't start when buying vanilla ice cream?