Notices
997 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Cleaning scuff marks on clear plastic wheel well guards?

Old 06-13-2005, 12:33 PM
sactogreg
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Cleaning scuff marks on clear plastic wheel well guards?

Just noticed a scuff mark of some kind on the driver's side wheel well. looks like something hit it and left a pretty good sized mark. It looks almost like a cone mark but not orange.

Has anyone had any experience buffing out marks on these? I guess the worst case scenario is to remove it and replace with another piece of plastic, but I would prefer to buff it out if possible. Thoughts?
Old 06-13-2005, 12:39 PM
MMD
Banned

In marine supply stores (and elsewhere I guess) they have plastic cleaner and polish. This stuff is ostensibly used for polishing scratches out of the the thin clear VINYL plastic windows on dodgers (canvas) on boats. It's my best bet to eliminate small scratches in the vinyl wheel well guards.

Then again, unless the scuff is really big and ugly, who cares? It's a car dammit!! Doodoo happens.
Old 06-13-2005, 01:02 PM
sactogreg
Intermediate

"Then again, unless the scuff is really big and ugly, who cares? It's a car dammit!! Doodoo happens."

Yeah, agreed. My first thought was "oh, looks like the plastic is doing its job"
Old 06-13-2005, 01:06 PM
OCBen
Banned

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

If it left a permanent deformation on the plastic, not much you can do about that except to replace it if it bothers you. But if it's just a scuff mark you can easily buff it out using ordinary cleaner/wax. I use Meguiar's Cleaner/Wax for general purposes like this. You don't need a specialized plastic cleaner/polish for the plastic inside the wheel well. These are best saved for delicate plastic pieces which don't require an aggressive (read abrasive) cleaner. It may take you forever to remove the scuff with these products. You might also try a polishing compound (one step finer than rubbing compound) if the cleaner/wax is not working for you. If so, you might want to "blend" the adjacent area so that you're not left with one very shiny spot!
Old 06-13-2005, 01:15 PM
MMD
Banned

Originally Posted by sactogreg
"Then again, unless the scuff is really big and ugly, who cares? It's a car dammit!! Doodoo happens."

Yeah, agreed. My first thought was "oh, looks like the plastic is doing its job"
It's funny, let's admit it. When my M3 was new even insect jerky on the front bumper was almost intolerable. Now, a year or so later, the thing has a few scratches and tiny dents which would have blown a gasket in my brain if they happened in the first months of ownership. The car still looks great and only I see the little imperfections when I look for them.
Old 06-13-2005, 04:35 PM
SrfCity
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by OCBen
If it left a permanent deformation on the plastic, not much you can do about that except to replace it if it bothers you. But if it's just a scuff mark you can easily buff it out using ordinary cleaner/wax. I use Meguiar's Cleaner/Wax for general purposes like this. You don't need a specialized plastic cleaner/polish for the plastic inside the wheel well. These are best saved for delicate plastic pieces which don't require an aggressive (read abrasive) cleaner. It may take you forever to remove the scuff with these products. You might also try a polishing compound (one step finer than rubbing compound) if the cleaner/wax is not working for you. If so, you might want to "blend" the adjacent area so that you're not left with one very shiny spot!
This is the stuff I'd recommend.
Old 06-13-2005, 05:50 PM
texas911
Race Car

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

WD40.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Cleaning scuff marks on clear plastic wheel well guards?