Sponsored by:

Field Find 356 - Need advice

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-2009, 02:34 PM
Vancouver83LTD
Nordschleife Master

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Not an easy call.
It almost looks too nice to part out - but it all depends.
Maybe try selling it as is as an outlaw candidate? Worst case?
Old 02-11-2009, 03:01 PM
Kahdmus
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

There's always a financial argument for not doing something like this. If the car is being purchased in its current state to save on $$ or as an investment, then I agree, its probably a bad idea.

That said, there are some who would value the 'journey' as much as the car itself and personally view the cars finished value to include the blood, sweat and tears that it consumed during its restoration. That type of sentimentality cannot be purchased outright, and is not intrinsic obviously, but is something with value only to them. Personally I think this is worth far more and if I had the money I would want to go this route and purchase the satisfaction and sentimentality as well as the car.

If this was my car, I would relish people coming over to admire it once it was back to its former glory. When they did I would reach into the glove box and pull out the pictures (that I would keep there) showing them what it looked like when I found it lying in a field years before.
Old 02-11-2009, 04:59 PM
Paul523
Pro

Vinnie, I am no expert but that 356 doesn't look that bad...
and so elegant in the white and off-whites those 356'.
Any idea if the engine turns over or what your next move is going to be mechanically?

-If it makes you feel any better, here's a true 'rust belt' specimen much further gone than yours:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...m=260360701226
Old 02-11-2009, 07:23 PM
Kahdmus
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Paul523
Vinnie, I am no expert but that 356 doesn't look that bad...
and so elegant in the white and off-whites those 356'.
Any idea if the engine turns over or what your next move is going to be mechanically?

-If it makes you feel any better, here's a true 'rust belt' specimen much further gone than yours:
To think that the current owner allowed this poor car to deteriorate to this level...he should be tortured then killed.
Old 02-12-2009, 09:47 AM
jdistefa
Rennlist Member

Received 447 Likes on 243 Posts

Originally Posted by centerpunch
My wife says the same thing!

For more of my tact-less, direct comments, there was a very long and very amusing thread about a guy that bought a 993 track car sight unseen with a PPI, waited several months to pick up the car, and THEN complained that he paid too much. As with this time, I just couldn't help myself..........
https://rennlist.com/forums/993-foru...y-scr-wed.html
Hey Paul,

Thx for your ongoing callous judgement about a situation you know nothing about. I didn't appreciate your comments then, and I don't welcome them now.

FWIW (if you care) it wasn't the price that bothered me, it was the gross misrepresentation of the vehicle by both the owner and the shop that did the PPI. That's life, and I've moved on, but apparently you haven't. Maybe you should bite your tongue more often?
Old 02-12-2009, 11:23 AM
Kahdmus
Addict
Rennlist Member

Paul - read my post above and look at ked's links. Consensus here is that large amounts of time and money will have to be involved but there are worse candidates for resto that are progressing well. I don't think anyone is holding any punches here and your thoughts on the subject are nothing if not well documented.

Matt - I read some of your post that is referenced on the previous page. FWIW, I thought you extremely patient and that you described your position in an articulate and composed manner that many in your position would have been hard pressed to do.

This is a truly interesting thread and it would be a shame to have the aforementioned debate from the 993 board spill over into it. If necessary can you guys PM over your differences? (Matt -- In all honesty don't see why you need to defend your position anyway and I feel for your situation)
Old 02-12-2009, 06:24 PM
centerpunch
Rennlist Member

Received 270 Likes on 123 Posts

Originally Posted by jdistefa
Hey Paul,

Thx for your ongoing callous judgement about a situation you know nothing about. I didn't appreciate your comments then, and I don't welcome them now.

FWIW (if you care) it wasn't the price that bothered me, it was the gross misrepresentation of the vehicle by both the owner and the shop that did the PPI. That's life, and I've moved on, but apparently you haven't. Maybe you should bite your tongue more often?
You are absolutely right about my bringing this up again for no reason, and I apologise.
Old 02-12-2009, 09:06 PM
jdistefa
Rennlist Member

Received 447 Likes on 243 Posts

Paul - thx, PM to be sent later tonight.

Kahdmus - thx .

OP - apologies, carry on, GL with the project!
Old 02-13-2009, 11:36 AM
VinnyC
Racer

UPDATE:
I had to remove the grill in order to open the trunk lid. No matter what I did from underneath - I could not get it to open. FINALLY!! The engine lid is open and I can see what is inside.

The Serial Number is as follows: P 89844
The Vin# for the car is #116651

From the 356 Registry site, it appears that this could very well be the original matching engine!
I am thrilled about that!

I have some photos to update - and will asap.
Old 02-13-2009, 11:41 AM
AOW162435
Seared
Rennlist Member

Received 407 Likes on 229 Posts

Originally Posted by VinnyC
UPDATE:
I had to remove the grill in order to open the trunk lid. No matter what I did from underneath - I could not get it to open. FINALLY!! The engine lid is open and I can see what is inside.

From the 356 Registry site, it appears that this could very well be the original matching engine!

Vinny,
This is so cool - I look forward to more pics.If you lose interest in the car, let's talk.

Andreas
Old 02-13-2009, 11:51 AM
Kahdmus
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by VinnyC
UPDATE:

Congrats on getting it open and especially if you have a matching engine...great news!

Really looking forward to the updated pics!
Old 02-13-2009, 04:56 PM
onboost
Burning Brakes

Received 41 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by Paul523

Wish I had seen that one.. for under $500 it was well worth it !
Old 02-13-2009, 06:27 PM
Kahdmus
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by onboost
Wish I had seen that one.. for under $500 it was well worth it !
It didn't sell...$400 didn't meet the reserve. Email the seller and see what he wants for it.
Old 02-14-2009, 01:50 PM
VinnyC
Racer

OK - Here are some updated photos.
Let me know what you think!
Attached Images        
Old 02-14-2009, 02:10 PM
Kahdmus
Addict
Rennlist Member

She certainly looks much different with half of Farmer Browns Field washed off! Someone has been busy.

How repairable is rust at this stage? Have you dug into it to get a better idea how bad it is?

Thanks for the update Vinny, I'm looking forward to hearing the knowledgeable members of the board chime-in...

Quick Reply: Field Find 356 - Need advice