Notices
356 Forum 1948-1965
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Looking for idea's on Porsche specific vanity plates...

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-2010, 01:42 PM
mile2424
Rennlist Member

Received 159 Likes on 56 Posts
Default Looking for idea's on Porsche specific vanity plates...

Most likely going onto a boxster, but I would rather have it be Porsche, or Porsche History Specific. My father restores 356's for a living, and I came home from the hospital when I was born in the backseat of one

I was thinking of a few off the top of my head.....

356BORN
917GOAT
Old 01-06-2010, 12:18 PM
ked
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

well, for a Boxster, one might go w/ NEO550 or RSKY.
Old 01-07-2010, 09:29 PM
gasman1
AutoX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

ked:

Love the 356 coupe. More
details? My wife wants one
sometime soon.
Old 01-08-2010, 03:53 PM
ked
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Gary, thanks. To sidetrack the thread...
It is a '65 SC. I got it about 5 yrs ago. {my 1st 356 ride was in my bro's '62B, back in '68. got my 1st 356 in '84, a D} A long story, but the upshot is I found it via eBay out of the NW, eventually bought it sight-unseen based upon dialog w/ the owner's mechanic, @ what I considered a "decent deal", picked it up in SLC & drove it back to N AL in 2 stints... the last being 1300+mi nonstop... 27mpg @ 70-80mph.

My intent was & is to enjoy it "as is" w/o restoration, as a driver. In the course of maintainence, I've addressed many issues that naturally exist w/ a 40+ yr old machine that has been subject to the slings & arrows of everyday use, making changes whenever it is advisable or appealing.

My pov has been to develop it as an "outlaw"... which to me means doing whatever suits my taste. It is also a useful response to those who believe that every 356 ought to be restored to or kept original ("survivor"). So, I improved performance by removing weight (bumpers, spare, pass seat, rear seats, swapping steel wheels for Fuchs, swapping driver seat for GTS lightweight) - I found this much more cost-effective than modding the motor. I use the car mostly for blasts through the countryside & as a weekend runabout. It has been so reliable that it serves backup duty when I manage to disable my newer cars. I might further develop it for DEs & historic rallying.

I have noted that a number of die-hard 356 enthusiasts, when after decades have determined to include a new Porsche in their stable, chosen the Cayman. They tell me it reminds them of the 356 when new, back in those days. Perhaps you will do the reverse... one could do worse.

I like the 356 for many reasons, but the biggest delight is the palpable driving dynamics... it all comes together like a pleasing work of art - the light touch of the steering, the communications of the susp & tires, the responsive drivetrain, its driving comfort & stability in all conditions (having owned & enjoyed many Alfas, BMWs & Benzs, I think I have a basis for critique). It is also a striking design, a unique integration of one man's vision (Ferry) that worked then & still does - it is an icon. A 356 will be fun & functional as long as people use roads to travel & tracks to compete.

Anyway, if you (or more importantly, your wife) are serious about a 356, I would pour over the 356 Registry website (then join... http://www.356registry.com/ ), meet some members at a chapter near you, invest in a few books that tell the 356 story (Schrager's "Buying, Driving & Enjoying the Porsche 356" is one of many) & very importantly, drive a few - your wife may change her (your) mind.
Attached Images  
Old 01-09-2010, 02:33 PM
onboost
Burning Brakes

Received 41 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by ked
My pov has been to develop it as an "outlaw"... which to me means doing whatever suits my taste. It is also a useful response to those who believe that every 356 ought to be restored to or kept original ("survivor"). So, I improved performance by removing weight (bumpers, spare, pass seat, rear seats, swapping steel wheels for Fuchs, swapping driver seat for GTS lightweight) - I found this much more cost-effective than modding the motor. I use the car mostly for blasts through the countryside & as a weekend runabout. It has been so reliable that it serves backup duty when I manage to disable my newer cars. I might further develop it for DEs & historic rallying.

I like the 356 for many reasons, but the biggest delight is the palpable driving dynamics... it all comes together like a pleasing work of art - the light touch of the steering, the communications of the susp & tires, the responsive drivetrain, its driving comfort & stability in all conditions (having owned & enjoyed many Alfas, BMWs & Benzs, I think I have a basis for critique). It is also a striking design, a unique integration of one man's vision (Ferry) that worked then & still does - it is an icon. A 356 will be fun & functional as long as people use roads to travel & tracks to compete.
Ked, very well said.
As you, I have enjoyed a number of other european sportscars, and and many have come and gone. As both a previous and current 356 owner, I have to echo those sentiments! I can't wait until I have mine ready to turn a wheel again!

Regards,
Old 01-12-2010, 12:15 AM
FastJohnson
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've owned my 356 since 1975. Soon to be a Cayman S owner - I have a Feb. build date.
Cheers,
Johnson

Quick Reply: Looking for idea's on Porsche specific vanity plates...