Notices
993 Forum 1995-1998

Cleaning - tips to clean spilled oil in luggage boot

Old 01-13-2007, 09:08 PM
Oxford_Hippo
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Cleaning - tips to clean spilled oil in luggage boot

Previous owner had a can of oil in the luggae compartment - which fell over and leaked - almost everywhere.

any suggestions on how to get thsi up??

can get rid of quite alot with papertowels and rag,

anything else that we can try?

Thanks,
T
Old 01-13-2007, 10:14 PM
Howdy993
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Oxford -

If you have Dawn dishwashing liquid in the UK it is a good soap that breaks down oil fairly well. I'd remove the trunk carpeting and mix up a bucket of water and dishsoap and clean with a soft brush. remove the water / soap with a wet dry vacuum. Repeat as necessary.

Might be easier faster just to replace the trunk carpeting. Guys who now have dedicated track cars might have a set of trunk carpeting laying around.

Good Luck
Old 01-14-2007, 12:28 AM
IamSMC
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

On the trunk floor, there are a couple rubber plugs that can be removed to let water drain out as you rinse. The best thing to use is a fine mist. After the rinse, wipe and vacuum dry the excess water and immediately use a blow drier.
Old 01-14-2007, 06:55 AM
Aussie Alan 993
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Remove the battery before you start.
If you use water and detergent as previously suggested. Keep it away from wiring and anything electrical.
Dry well to avoid any possiblity of RUST in the future.
Old 01-14-2007, 07:11 AM
Monique
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

My view... stay away from water.

Buy a degreaser agent and lightly spray then brush in the area. Wipe dry. Follow up with "washing agent" then dry again.

Replace carpets as suggested above...

Good luck.
Old 01-14-2007, 10:03 AM
amfp
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

I would use Wurth degreaser and bolt up the oil. Apply a small amount of solvent a white cloth. Dab repeatedly, then press the cloth on the spot for a few seconds. Rinse by blotting with a white cloth soaked in lukewarm water. Wait one hour or so, until the carpet completely dries. If the stain is getting lighter, repeat until the stain is removed.

If oil is not dry and still wet, maybe try something like kitty litter to dry the oil, and vacuum up as much as oil as possible. I would also stay away from soaking with water if possible as it may spread.
Old 01-14-2007, 11:40 AM
Mark in Baltimore
Rennlist Member

Received 496 Likes on 320 Posts

If I were in your shoes, I'd just pull the carpet out and use a liberal amount of Dawn or some other water-based detergent, as Howard suggested, and rinse well.

For the inside, I'd use a degreaser as Monique and mo recommend, for you can easily wipe down the affected areas with some cloth and get the sheetmetal very clean.

Good luck! If things go horribly wrong with the carpet, many of us have the carpet just lying around in our garages.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Cleaning - tips to clean spilled oil in luggage boot