Notices

Camber plate

Search this Thread

Old 09-25-2007, 05:26 PM
Mussl Kar
Rennlist Member

Received 411 Likes on 281 Posts
Default Camber plate

What are the effects of car classification when adding a camber plate? Would it knock me out of Strictly Stock? It's a Porsche Tekequipment part but it is not standard on the car. I'm refering to the GT3/GT3 RS cars.
Old 09-25-2007, 06:00 PM
Jim Michaels
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

For PCA Parade autocross, I think "stock" is restricted to options that were on the options list for your car. PCA stock classes are very restrictive. SCCA allows some very minor mods (e.g., cat-back and shocks), but I'm pretty sure even they don't allow camber plates on a car that didn't come with them in stock classes.
Old 09-25-2007, 06:50 PM
Mussl Kar
Rennlist Member

Thanks Jim. I just read the SCCA rules and if I read it right, no modifications my be done to change the camber spec beyond the oem spec. Modifications can be done only to bring the car to the max stock spec if for some reason the adjustments come up short, elongation of holes, shims, etc.
Old 09-25-2007, 08:49 PM
racer
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Check the rule book! It should move you out of stock almost everywhere (PCA, SCCA etc) but how far out of stock should be considered. Then the next trick is to figure out what else you can run once the camberplates are in.. ie, does it bump you to a class that allows Slicks? Large weight removal etc. You can't be a little modified just like you cant be a little bit pregnant.
Old 09-26-2007, 12:02 AM
Jim Michaels
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

racer's right. One little mod can put one down the slippery slope of thinking you have to do everything allowed in the next class up. I run SCCA and also only wanted a little more front camber than we could get with the original slots (-1 degree). Camber plates, or even elongating the shock tower slots a bit, would bump me to ASP where a lot of other mods are allowed, so I'm still running stock with -1 degree of front camber.

The 996 GT3 runs in SCCA SS class, but the 997 GT3 is not allowed in any stock class. Where do they place the new RS?
Old 09-26-2007, 05:24 AM
NJ-GT
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Mussl Kar
What are the effects of car classification when adding a camber plate? Would it knock me out of Strictly Stock? It's a Porsche Tekequipment part but it is not standard on the car. I'm refering to the GT3/GT3 RS cars.
You don't need camber plates for the RS. It already comes with monoball camber plates.

You can get any acceptable camber numbers at the front by adding shims to the lower control arms, or rotating the upper strut mounts (camber plates) by relocating the studs in the other three holes on the plate.

The car is legal in SCCA ASP, but not in Super Stock. For PCA , the car is legal in Showroom Stock, and the classes above.
Old 09-26-2007, 11:39 AM
Mussl Kar
Rennlist Member

I spoke with my mechanic this AM. He can get one side of my car to take the camber setting that I want, but not the other. He has tweaked another GT3 to the settings that I want so my car should also take the setting. Some sort of manufacturing tolerance issue. He will only be shimming one side and I guess that because another car could be adjusted that way then my car can still be considered as still Strictly Stock.
That's my story and I'm sticking to it.
Old 09-26-2007, 12:13 PM
NJ-GT
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

How much camber do you want? you should be able to get -2.5 just with 7mm shims and the struts fully inboard. Each chassis is different. My car gets caster readings that don't match the factory since it was new, same thing happens with other cars.

The SCCA published the rotation of the stock camber plates as not legal in SS, because of the wording used on the workshop manual. Basically, the workshop manual reads that rotating the camber plates is intended for racing circuits only, this excludes street use.

However, adding shims is described as a basic camber adjustment, and it has not been determined illegal. The workshop manual explains this adjustment as an intended feature to adjust camber without restrictions to racing use only. Moreover, it explains that the stock car comes with shims already.

This document explains how to adjust camber for the GT2/GT3.

Before you start playing with settings, get a very experienced driver to drive with you at the same event. If the difference is beyond 2 seconds (assuming a top level driver), then focus on improving the driver before the car.

Quick Reply: Camber plate