Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Cup or Stock Rotors for the track?

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-2008, 02:03 PM
DupaHead
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Cup or Stock Rotors for the track?

After much debate, and help from everyone here... GT3 seats/harnesses/teq. bar are on the way... Already have 997 steel rotors on the rear, but still have the PCCBs up front.

The question...

Do I go with the stock GT3 steels, or spring for GT3 CUP rotors up front? If I recall correctly, aren't the CUP rotors thinner, or am I mistaken?
Old 07-12-2008, 03:04 PM
Carnerd
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

PM Rick DeMan and see if these will work

https://rennlist.com/forums/996-gt2-gt3-forum/438746-gt3-rotor-alternative.html
Old 07-12-2008, 03:22 PM
NJ-GT
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by DupaHead
After much debate, and help from everyone here... GT3 seats/harnesses/teq. bar are on the way... Already have 997 steel rotors on the rear, but still have the PCCBs up front.

The question...

Do I go with the stock GT3 steels, or spring for GT3 CUP rotors up front? If I recall correctly, aren't the CUP rotors thinner, or am I mistaken?
Neither, contact DeMan Motorsports. Twice the life, cheaper, and tested.
Old 07-12-2008, 04:03 PM
DupaHead
Instructor

Originally Posted by NJ-GT
Neither, contact DeMan Motorsports. Twice the life, cheaper, and tested.
Thanks. I'll be giving them a call on monday.
Old 07-12-2008, 05:43 PM
MM-Racing
Racer

cup front rotors are exactly the same as stock but twice cheaper because of TUV. Most of lads use them for 996 GT3 and 996 GT2.
Old 07-12-2008, 06:22 PM
LVDell
Nordschleife Master

Received 28 Likes on 23 Posts

The Cups are thinner than the stocks but you will NEVER get the end of their life in surface used before they crack all to hell. Cheaper and a tad lighter is the reason to go with the cups over stocks. For teh street you could get past the thickness tolerance BEFORE you get cracks so the stocks make more sense for the street.

But at the end of the day most of us (for the track) want the best of both worlds......weight AND longevity. I found that with the PFC direct-drive 2-piece setup. They last 4x as long as the cup rotors and so the cost over the PFC's is actually LOWER over the long haul.
Old 07-12-2008, 07:43 PM
Rob in VA
Three Wheelin'

Received 25 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by LVDell
The Cups are thinner than the stocks but you will NEVER get the end of their life in surface used before they crack all to hell. Cheaper and a tad lighter is the reason to go with the cups over stocks. For teh street you could get past the thickness tolerance BEFORE you get cracks so the stocks make more sense for the street.

But at the end of the day most of us (for the track) want the best of both worlds......weight AND longevity. I found that with the PFC direct-drive 2-piece setup. They last 4x as long as the cup rotors and so the cost over the PFC's is actually LOWER over the long haul.
I'm running the PFC two-piece rotors as well. Dell, after four days on my rotors I'm seeing small hair-line cracks near the dimples. Are you seeing the same thing? I thought this was a little premature, but since they're dimples and not holes it's not a big deal?
Old 07-12-2008, 07:59 PM
LVDell
Nordschleife Master

Rob, everything is fine. It's once they start to become cracked in such a way that you can feel a "rise" in the cracks and they are almost "opened" where you can drop a finger nail in them. But the hairline or vein looking cracks are ok. The best way to alleviate that is good cooling to the brakes.

I have prolonged my rotor life by two two things:
1. Adding the cup ducts
2. Using my cool down lap to cool the brakes by still going pretty quick but not using brakes and using tires to scrub speed so they stay somewhat at temp. Helps also to get a more accurate tire temp reading.
Old 07-12-2008, 08:28 PM
Rob in VA
Three Wheelin'

Received 25 Likes on 22 Posts

Rob, everything is fine. It's once they start to become cracked in such a way that you can feel a "rise" in the cracks and they are almost "opened" where you can drop a finger nail in them. But the hairline or vein looking cracks are ok. The best way to alleviate that is good cooling to the brakes.

I have prolonged my rotor life by two two things:
1. Adding the cup ducts
2. Using my cool down lap to cool the brakes by still going pretty quick but not using brakes and using tires to scrub speed so they stay somewhat at temp. Helps also to get a more accurate tire temp reading.
Makes sense. I have the cup ducts as well. Thanks Dell.
Old 07-12-2008, 08:41 PM
LVDell
Nordschleife Master

Very welcome! And by the way, great to finally meet up at the track
Old 07-14-2008, 06:01 PM
MM-Racing
Racer

yes

1 .cup ducts
2. one cooling lap after 5 fast laps and always one or two cooling laps before the end of the sesion !!!
Old 07-14-2008, 06:54 PM
BrokeAss
Driver Carries No Cash
Rennlist Member

I found that with the PFC direct-drive 2-piece setup. They last 4x as long as the cup rotors and so the cost over the PFC's is actually LOWER over the long haul.
I'm new to the GT3 world - just got an '04 race car last month.
Can you share the part number or link to the PFC 2 piece system? My car still has the motorsport rotors on it and I need to buy a full set of rotors to keep on the trailer.
Old 07-14-2008, 07:04 PM
Leigh2
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 2 Posts

Here's a blurb I got from a Porsche dealer some time ago on regards to evaluating the cracks in cast rotors.
Old 07-14-2008, 07:39 PM
KOAN
Rennlist Member

Received 159 Likes on 110 Posts

Unfortunately, this refers to cast one piece drilled rotors rather than two piece dimpled ones. The stress risers should be much less in a dimple than in a full depth hole. My cracks are also extending, and I am begining to wonder what the endpoint will be for the PFC rings. When the hairline cracks connect the dimples, or extend to either the inner or the outer margin of the ring, I'm going to repace them; the same criteria as the drilled ones, just to be o the safe side.
Old 07-14-2008, 09:18 PM
LVDell
Nordschleife Master

Terry, here is what you are looking for.

PFC 2-piece non-motorsport (ones with the dimples)
Rotors "Starter" set which includes the entire setup (hat, hardware, rotor)
350.068.87 for the Left (cost ~$500)
350.068.88 for the Right (cost ~$500)

Then after that you just replace the rotor itself (comes with all hardware needed)
350.34.0060.87 (cost ~$300)
350.34.0060.88 (cost ~$300)

PFC 2-piece motorsport (ones with the gas slotting)
350.34.0060.07 left (cost ~$400)
350.34.0060.08 right (cost ~$400)
206.157.269.12 hat (same as non-motorsport hats and you need two) (cost ~$325/ea)
912.113.775.05 (bobbin kit....hardware) (cost ~$125/ea side)

re: the motorsport setup.....the main difference between (other than cost ) the rotors is that they are machined for the gas slots and named motorsport. They all start life as the same rotor it is just how they are finished. The hardware is different. They are AN fastners, which is an aerospace spec and are capable of much higher loads. The heads of the bolts are hex instead of allen-head but the nuts are the same. The bobbins are gapped differently to allow the rotor to float on the motorsport as well. While the non-motorsport ones are still 2-piece gems they do NOT float.

FYI......I have both. Here are pics of what they look like.
Attached Images   

Quick Reply: Cup or Stock Rotors for the track?