Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Installing MSD blaster2 + ballast resistor

Old 03-06-2009, 01:09 PM
jstand22
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Installing MSD blaster2 + ballast resistor

So I want to install my blaster 2 and the ballast resistor. I know there's a debate over whether or not you actually have to use the ballast resistor. Many people run without it and say it's fine, some run with it. Since my car is driven often, and for long periods of time I'd rather not fry the DME, so i got the ballast resistor. However I'm not really sure how to install the resistor, the coil is easy, but how do I wire in the resistor?
Old 03-06-2009, 01:11 PM
hacker-pschorr
Administrator - "Tyson"
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 2,063 Likes on 1,175 Posts

Why the MSD parts at all?
Old 03-06-2009, 05:02 PM
jstand22
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

no one?
Old 03-06-2009, 06:47 PM
JohnKoaWood
Nordschleife Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by jstand22
So I want to install my blaster 2 and the ballast resistor. I know there's a debate over whether or not you actually have to use the ballast resistor. Many people run without it and say it's fine, some run with it. Since my car is driven often, and for long periods of time I'd rather not fry the DME, so i got the ballast resistor. However I'm not really sure how to install the resistor, the coil is easy, but how do I wire in the resistor?
Ballast resistor goes in line on the + lead to the coil (the trigger). I have been running this setup for the last year (20K miles or so) on my N/A, LOVE it... much better than the old rotten coil I got rid of...

I mounted my ballast resistor to the outside of the frame rail below the passenger side headlight bucket... Planning on installing the Blaster 2 and 6L on my Turbo... The ballast isn't going to hurt the car, but will protect the DME...

Why run the MSD you ask? It is a much better spark than stock, with better spark release guaranteed by the 2x or more plug gap you can run... Plus if you run the 6L you get all the benefits of multi spark discharge on the low end and the hotter spark on the top end (with adjustable rev limiter)... and come on, who can disagree with a bolt on performance upgrade for $200?
Old 03-06-2009, 07:33 PM
hacker-pschorr
Administrator - "Tyson"
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by JohnKoaWood
Why run the MSD you ask? It is a much better spark than stock, with better spark release guaranteed by the 2x or more plug gap you can run... Plus if you run the 6L you get all the benefits of multi spark discharge on the low end and the hotter spark on the top end (with adjustable rev limiter)... and come on, who can disagree with a bolt on performance upgrade for $200?
What is the stock output of the stock coil? Just curious.
Old 03-06-2009, 11:08 PM
Mark944na86
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I've run the MSD coil+6A on both a 944 86 na and a 90 S2 with good results. I've never installed the ballast resistor, though -- I didn't think it was needed or even suitable for our cars.
Old 03-06-2009, 11:19 PM
JohnKoaWood
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by Hacker-Pschorr
What is the stock output of the stock coil? Just curious.
Not 100% sure of the stock rating, but Stock Primary resistance is .4-.6 secondary resistance of 5-7.2K

The MSD Coil Primary is .7 secondary of 4.7K

My N/A ran 100% better with better response, fuel mileage and peak power than prior to the upgrade...

Originally Posted by Mark944na86
I've run the MSD coil+6A on both a 944 86 na and a 90 S2 with good results. I've never installed the ballast resistor, though -- I didn't think it was needed or even suitable for our cars.
The ballast resistor is only used by those of us not wanting to burn our DME, and NOT running the MSD ignition controller(the DME contains the ignition trigger circuit), You used the 6A, thus no ballast resistor was needed, as the 6A only senses the trigger from the DME, when no 6A is used the trigger signal from DME goes directly to the primary windings of the coil (high current draw on the ignition trigger WILL burn out the DME ignition trigger circuit)....

Higher current draw is a side effect of the higher primary coil resistance in the MSD coil over stock... It is a precaution to use a ballast resistor....
Old 03-07-2009, 12:19 AM
Mark944na86
Rennlist Member

The ballast resistor is only used by those of us not wanting to burn our DME, and NOT running the MSD ignition controller(the DME contains the ignition trigger circuit), You used the 6A, thus no ballast resistor was needed, as the 6A only senses the trigger from the DME, when no 6A is used the trigger signal from DME goes directly to the primary windings of the coil (high current draw on the ignition trigger WILL burn out the DME ignition trigger circuit)....

Higher current draw is a side effect of the higher primary coil resistance in the MSD coil over stock... It is a precaution to use a ballast resistor....
OK -- thanks for explaining that.
Old 03-07-2009, 03:10 AM
Yummybud924
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

are you talking about switching to a MSD igntion coil? didn't know they actually make a performance difference. From what I had heard they don't do anything because the stock coil provides more than enough spark.

do coils wear out? Maybe your old coil wan't functioning properly. but i'm pretty sure coils either work or don't and not in between.
Old 03-07-2009, 10:02 AM
JohnKoaWood
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by Yummybud924
are you talking about switching to a MSD igntion coil? didn't know they actually make a performance difference. From what I had heard they don't do anything because the stock coil provides more than enough spark.

do coils wear out? Maybe your old coil wan't functioning properly. but i'm pretty sure coils either work or don't and not in between.
They can very much be in between, Not providing a strong spark, ozzing oil, multiple other failure modes....

Yes the MSD does make a difference, My plugs are gaped at .065, providing not only a hotter spark, but a much bigger one as well... I noticed a definite difference... Definite improvement...
Old 03-07-2009, 12:49 PM
hacker-pschorr
Administrator - "Tyson"
Lifetime Rennlist

My N/A ran 100% better with better response, fuel mileage and peak power than prior to the upgrade...
Originally Posted by Yummybud924
do coils wear out? Maybe your old coil wan't functioning properly.
+1 what Yummy said.

I was looking into an MSD upgrade for my 928 since I was having ignition issues with the supercharger. One of the 928 guys in Canada tested a stock 928 coil, output was the same as the MSD blaster. So a new 928 coil went on, problem solved.

I'm not trying to be a dick, just curious since the 944 coil could very well be a lower output than the MSD and 928 coil.

This just sounds like a friend of mine who clamined split fire spark plugs did all the same things to his truck as the MSD Blaster to your car. I asked him for the old plugs.....yup....any new spark plug was an improvement.

EDIT - same as the 32V 928 coil

http://www.paragon-products.com/prod...osch_00055.htm
Old 03-07-2009, 01:10 PM
JohnKoaWood
Nordschleife Master

+1 what Yummy said.

I was looking into an MSD upgrade for my 928 since I was having ignition issues with the supercharger. One of the 928 guys in Canada tested a stock 928 coil, output was the same as the MSD blaster. So a new 928 coil went on, problem solved.

I'm not trying to be a dick, just curious since the 944 coil could very well be a lower output than the MSD and 928 coil.

This just sounds like a friend of mine who clamined split fire spark plugs did all the same things to his truck as the MSD Blaster to your car. I asked him for the old plugs.....yup....any new spark plug was an improvement.
That is a possability, but the MSD @ $50 is cheaper than the OEM replacement coil most places I look had...

AND I would be interested to see how he tested the Coil output, A multi meter will not measure the output of the coil (900RPM idle is 1800 sparks per minute is 30 sparks per second) to see the duration and amplitude of the output would require an oscilloscope operating at a sampling rate of at least 3600Hz (twice the signal rate at a minimum), which while available would pail by comparison the cost of a new coil of any type (or even a stand alone engine management system for that matter), even with the 6A extending the spark duration for 20deg of cam angle, you are talking less than 100 milliseconds of duration for the spark. High end equipment would be necessitated for instrumentation of the output comparison of the coils... To a hand held multi meter all coils will look alike in output as they will display what they happen to capture at a given point in time.... Sorry just replying with my 2C, not trying to be a dick myself, nor trying to over think here (and I definitely could be wrong, I have been told I was wrong before, and I actually was wrong once or twice if I remember correctly)...

On a side note, I have never found a hand held multi meter that could measure 45Kv, at this potential most instruments FAIL miserably, the robustness of the instrumentation increases the cost of the instrumentation exponentially...
Old 03-07-2009, 01:21 PM
hacker-pschorr
Administrator - "Tyson"
Lifetime Rennlist

That is a possability, but the MSD @ $50 is cheaper than the OEM replacement coil most places I look had...
Good point - it is nice to know we have "normal" options for some parts on these cars.

AND I would be interested to see how he tested the Coil output <snip>High end equipment would be necessitated for instrumentation of the output comparison of the coils
I guess you will have to take my word for it that he has the necessary equipment

Not to mention the supercharged 928S4 in Green Bay making over 1,000 crank HP with these coils (two, one per bank). Not mine, belongs to a local engine guru / machinist.
Old 03-07-2009, 04:58 PM
DarylJ
Rennlist Member

Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts

That's the basic marketing concept behind pretty much every "performance upgrade" that you can find at an auto parts store - "high performance" plugs, wires, coils, filters, etc. They are usually cheap quality parts with some extra bling and a couple gaudy stickers for you to put on your window (and yes, I am talking about the low level MSD stuff you find in Pep Boys and Autozone, whatever ridiculous spark plugs they are marketing these days, the colored underdrive pulleys, etc.).
Old 03-07-2009, 08:50 PM
Mark944na86
Rennlist Member

I've not tried the MSD coil by itself, but with the 6A it it definitely is a noticable improvement over stock. Don't know about HP, but more torque in lower RPM range, and better fuel economy (possibly because the extra torque changes your driving pattern.)

I must admit I was quite sceptical the first time I installed one (86na), but I trusted and respected Skip Grehan's opinion enough to try out the "standard" set-up (MSD 6a + coil, and upgraded 8.5mm Magnecor leads). I liked it enough that when I got my S2, I tried the same installation in that, also with good results.

For an NA, I would recommend one of these over a "performance chip" anyday. A modest but genuine performance improvement, and good bang for buck (even if you just consider the improved fuel efficiency by itself.)

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Installing MSD blaster2 + ballast resistor