Optima Batteries can leak acid

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-2009, 05:49 PM
Ron
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Thumbs down Optima Batteries can leak acid

I bought two Optima blue top batteries at the same time for my boat. Now only three years later one of the batteries is leaking acid from the negative post terminal, negative screw on terminal and the vent on the same side of battery as the negative post. Both batteries were also charged with the same charger and were installed side by side in the boat.

I called Optima and they said since battery was out of warranty they will not do anything for me in spite of the fact that one of the batteries was defective.

The leaking battery does hold a good charge.

I wonder if there are any other, affordable, batteries that really will not leak.

I have run an Oddesey battery in the Porsche without problem.
Old 03-11-2009, 10:00 PM
Steve Weiner-Rennsport Systems
RL Technical Advisor

Received 64 Likes on 48 Posts

Hi Ron,

While I've had excellent luck with Optima's (red) for the past 12 years, I did spend some time to figure out the differences between these and regular lead-acid batteries. The most important thing is that most battery chargers will damage these AGM batteries during the charging cycle and that may damage the case from excess hydrogen pressure.

I use the Swedish-made CTEK charger (as does Porsche A.G.) with no issues.
Old 03-11-2009, 10:01 PM
RallyJon
Weathergirl
Rennlist Member

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

they will not do anything for me
Time to take pics, start a website and seed the search engines. For a company that pretty much built its business on referrals and web community reputation (and mailing lists before that), that's an amazingly tone deaf response. You know, I'd be willing to bet that tens of thousands of current and potential Optima customers had no idea they could leak. I wonder how that tidbit of knowledge would affect their purchase decision?
Old 03-11-2009, 10:41 PM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Go to WalMart and buy a Schumacher charger.
It has an AGM mode.
Good chargers, $30.
Old 03-12-2009, 07:59 PM
Ron
Addict
Rennlist Member

Time to take pics, start a website and seed the search engines.
Going that route would just exceed my aggravation factor.

On the plus side I bought the two Optima blue tops from Costco. Costco did not want to do anything for me since they were 3 years old and out of the 18 month warranty which was applicable at the time.

I then spoke with someone in management and asked them it they could help me in some way and to maybe look at what I’d spent at Costco on a yearly basis. Well they decided to take the battery back and refund half the cost of what I paid for it new. I was satisfied that Costo was willing to help me out. My experience with Costco is they will try very, very hard to satisfy their customers.

I do have an Odessy battery that I bought in Dec of 2004. I used it for a little while in my 993 but it did not fit as well as the Optima red top, which is used in the car now. I still have the Optima and use it in my shop wherever I need a 12 volt power source. It still holds a charge pretty good. I would also note that I was told that the Odessy is a totally sealed battery with no vents at all. If that's the case it is truely superior to any Optima.
Old 03-13-2009, 04:57 PM
Smiles
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Ron
Optima Batteries can leak acid.
It's interesting to note that there is something that Optima batteries can do.
Old 03-13-2009, 05:53 PM
Paul902
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Steve Weiner-Rennsport Systems
I use the Swedish-made CTEK charger (as does Porsche A.G.) with no issues.

Hi Steve,

are you referring to the Porsche wall mount cig-lighter units? Hope so, as that is what I have. Does this advice apply to the Oddessy batteries as well? I thought I'd like to try an Oddessy or Optima next time around.
Old 03-14-2009, 10:57 AM
Ron
Addict
Rennlist Member

The most important thing is that most battery chargers will damage these AGM batteries during the charging cycle and that may damage the case from excess hydrogen pressureI use the Swedish-made CTEK charger (as does Porsche A.G.) with no issues.

Steve,

I’ve been using a Guest 2620 charger for many years. It’s an automatic 3-Stage battery charger with 2 independent 10 amp, 12 Vdc outputs

It will charge the following battery Types: SLA, AGM, Gel

Float – Maintenance Stage
Float Voltage: 13.1 – 13.5V
Float Current: 0 – 3A
LED status: GREEN LED ON

3.3 Absorption -
Absorption Voltage: 13.6 – 14.3 V
Absorption Current: 2 – 7 A
LED status: GREEN LED AND RED LED ARE ON

3.4 Full Load – Bulk Stage
Full Load Voltage: 11.5 – 13.0 VDC
Full Load Current: 8A – 10A