Notices
911 Forum 1964-1989
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

Anybody looking at getting new wheels should consider these...

Old 01-28-2009, 11:20 PM
Ed Hughes
Rennlist Member

Received 77 Likes on 51 Posts
Default Anybody looking at getting new wheels should consider these...

Jeff Alton has done a superb job in reproducing our beloved Fuchs wheels. These are forged centers, and are 3 piece wheels (meaning they're repairable)-but you can't tell that unless you really start looking. I comitted to a set of these a long time ago knowing that Jeff would do a superb job, and now they're almost complete. I'm getting a set of 7.5/9 X 17" which will fit nicely over my big brakes and allow me a better choice of tires. I'm going to run Advan A048R's in 255/225 widths, my wheels will be RSR finish.

At any rate, there have been some other offerings of Fuchs repros in cast alloy in the past year. They aren't "that much" less, and don't have the strength or quality of these, IMO. If you're shopping for new wheels, I highly encourage you to talk to Jeff. Buying used Fuchs is not cheap nowadays, you're capped at 16" diameters, and you take a chance on hidden problems. Besides the great job Jeff did on the design, he's one of the nicest P-car nuts on the planet.

New thread with pics:

http://forums.pelicanparts.com/showthread.php?t=453896

The original "official" purchase thread:

http://forums.pelicanparts.com/showthread.php?t=441069
Old 01-29-2009, 02:36 AM
earlyapex
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 62 Likes on 32 Posts

The wheels look great! Unfortunately, I need wide 16 inch wheels for my next build up.
Old 01-29-2009, 08:45 AM
f4 plt
Rennlist Member

Received 137 Likes on 71 Posts

Still looking for two 16 X 8 for the back of my '83 SC I will then have two 16 X 6 for sale.
Old 01-29-2009, 02:43 PM
rusnak
I haddah Google dat
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Thanks Ed,

I've been looking at these but I am holding off on the wheels for now. What I really want are those SICK RSR style brakes. I hope he doesn't charge too much for them when they become available.

It would be great to see yours when you get them.
Old 01-29-2009, 02:59 PM
TT Oversteer
Racer

Received 21 Likes on 12 Posts

Wow, those look very true to the original fuchs design. It sounds like there is the possibility of custom offsets as well. That could be an interesting option for running an 8in wheel and 225 tires under my skinny 77 rear flares! Ed, we can't wait to see them mounted on your car.
Old 01-29-2009, 07:33 PM
Ed Hughes
Rennlist Member

You can all rest assured, I'll have pics up here the very day I receive them.

Ultimately, once he gets rolling, I believe the offset possibilities will be endless, and he'll offer 18" versions too.
Old 05-25-2009, 01:29 PM
gsmith660
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The price has gone up nearly a grand since the initial offer I thought Jeff was going to offer these from pelican but he went with zuffenhaus which in my opinion has been way over priced on everything I have seen offered. These were my first choice but I thought they were going to stay competitive with the other billet wheels offered like CCW and Kodiak. Guess not.
Old 05-25-2009, 01:49 PM
Ed Hughes
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by gsmith660
The price has gone up nearly a grand since the initial offer I thought Jeff was going to offer these from pelican but he went with zuffenhaus which in my opinion has been way over priced on everything I have seen offered. These were my first choice but I thought they were going to stay competitive with the other billet wheels offered like CCW and Kodiak. Guess not.

This is why you can't believe what you read on the internet.

You need a new calculator. They DID NOT go up $1K.

They are at $2800 or 2900 for standard finish, which is about 500 more than those of us in the initial buy paid. As I posted in reply to your same comment on Pelican, these are worth every penny. There is nothing else that compares and that provides this look. And that is the simple fact, if you took the time to research these, you'll see that each center takes hours of machine time, and these are produced in relatively tiny quantities.

You apparently want cheap wheels: go buy the cast Rotas and call it a day.
Old 05-25-2009, 02:37 PM
Amber Gramps
Addict

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Ed, forgive me again....I thought your wheels were stunning and fit your car Perfectly. They look like they came on the car. I sure didn't see three pieces or even see the 17". They just looked like perfect wheels. It's funny in a way, 'cause if you were looking for something that would stand out you really missed the mark. If you were looking for "Nirvana on Wheels" you have found it my friend.

For that matter your entire car was perfect. Really Ed, you are far and away the owner of the perfect car.
Old 05-25-2009, 03:50 PM
Ed Hughes
Rennlist Member

Thanks Doug. They're exactly what the doctor ordered:

1. Stock looking
2. They fit over my big calipers
3. They are strong
4. They are VERY light
5. They are 17" diameter
6. They are 3 piece, offering repairability and some flexibility in size

It's the perfect car for our run yesterday morning...
Old 05-25-2009, 04:03 PM
gsmith660
Instructor

Ed, I probably took more time to research these than you did since I have been corrosponding with Jeff on these since day 1 and the price is 700 dollars higher and went up 120 dollars since yesterday my 1000 dollar comment was based on a post by Village idiot about the standard finish when he ment the rsr finish I am in communication with Jeff as we speak. Same process as CCW wheels and those wheels have not gone up 1 dollar in 2 year. Dont try to pick a scrap I acknowledge that I got wrong info on the grand but 700 is not much better. You have your wheels but some people have been waiting for 6 months and he (zuffenhaus) is braching out to the boxster market thats wrong.
Old 05-25-2009, 04:16 PM
Ed Hughes
Rennlist Member

You're still way off base, you may want to do the research before making statements like that. I sat with Jeff @ Rennsport Reunion in Nov of '07 in the infield watching great cars and talking about his wheel project. I was at one point going to be a Beta tester, but when the importance of this project became evident, the focus went on to the proper safety testing that these have gone thru twice.

I've also been asked my opinion by Jeff several times as he was deciding how to price these and go to market.

BTW, you probably don't want to know what I paid, you'd be even more pissed.

Again, you're doing the most online complaining, and you've not even bought a set of these.
Old 05-25-2009, 04:37 PM
gsmith660
Instructor

I am not doing the most online complaining and if you got a problem with me then say it jack!@#. Why have you launched on me like this here and on pelican I am just trying to understand why the pricing is going the way it is. Thump your chest as much as you want to but if you ask me you are the one on these forums that have the biggest attitude. I dont want a fight here but you obviously do go get it somewhere else cause you aren't worth fighting with.
Old 05-25-2009, 04:46 PM
Ed Hughes
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by gsmith660
I am not doing the most online complaining and if you got a problem with me then say it jack!@#. Why have you launched on me like this here and on pelican I am just trying to understand why the pricing is going the way it is. Thump your chest as much as you want to but if you ask me you are the one on these forums that have the biggest attitude. I dont want a fight here but you obviously do go get it somewhere else cause you aren't worth fighting with.
When will you give it a rest? Did you even bother to read my reply to your PM? I thought I was pretty civil and explained my position. You're the one keeping the fires fanned here and on Pelican.
Old 05-25-2009, 04:56 PM
rusnak
I haddah Google dat
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

They are beautiful wheels. They are forged. They are made by people who know what they're doing. I hope they sell more wheels, so they will get around to developing the RSR brake package that I have been eyeing. Jeff Alton is a partner in Zuffenhaus right?

Oh, by the way, my Fuchs wheels were what, a grand each? Why would anyone complain about price on those babies???????

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Anybody looking at getting new wheels should consider these...