Sponsored by: DashLynx

GPS Tracking installed but need electrical help

Search this Thread

Old 06-03-2009, 02:35 PM
EckFe1
Pro

Received 33 Likes on 22 Posts
Default GPS Tracking installed but need electrical help

Hello E gurus, I have a 97 C2 cabrio, 993 of course.
I installed a GPS tracking which also has shock sensor input. I coupled the tracking unit with the factory alarm but can't get the shock sensor to work.
The shock sensor needs 12V when the factory alarm get's switched on, otherwise I keep getting false alarms when I drive or just close the door.
I checked all wiring at the factory alarm unit but there is no wire that will actually have zero volt when alarm is not on but get's 12 volt when alarm is activated.
Does anybody have an idea on how to hook this thing up?
I'd appreciate any input!
Thank you,
Ed
Old 06-03-2009, 11:15 PM
Warpig
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Is this a GPS tracking unit hooked to the alarm so you can track the car if stolen? If so a few ?'s How do you get information about vehicle location? Does it use GPRS or Cellular? I have been looking for something similar in preparation for my upcoming Porsche purchase.

As for your wiring question... Do you have any more info about the GPS/Shock sensor unit? I'm not sure I understand the function of the device so I don't want to offer bad advice. A make model number link to a owners/wiring manual would be great help in answering your question.

Is the 12V needed by the GPS to supply power to the GPS when the alarm is armed or is it a positive trigger?

I have much experience installing Multi-Amp Car Stereo Systems/Car alarms/keyless entry/automatic start (even with a clutch bypass)/2-way radios/flip flop lighting (like police cars have) etc. I have no knowledge of the Porsche Alarm but any decent current alarm will have a "12V while armed" wire that could be used they also have a "ground when armed wire". If either exists you can use it to create the opposite using a standard auto relay. If you have a "ground when armed" lead hook it to one side of a relay coil, the other side of the relay coil and the common relay switch terminal will hook to an always 12V source, use the remaining switch contacts to provide a normally open/closed 12V. when the alarm arms and the wire goes to ground the relay will energize and switch 12V on through the relay switch contacts.

you can get a "ground when armed" from a "12V when armed" wire with a similar set up. (the wiring of the relay is different but the concept is exactly the same.)

It almost sounds by your description of your false alarms that things are being triggered by the shock sensor. Again the manual/wiring instructions would help allot here. Sometimes various alarm devices need to be isolated from others by use of rectifier diodes placed correctly to keep one from effecting another.

Glad to help out, I love automotive wiring, but not sure if i had enough info to answer you correctly.

Nick
Old 06-05-2009, 01:40 PM
EckFe1
Pro

Hi Nick,
Thank you for your reply. To answer your questions, it's a GPS with GSM Antenna. It has it's own cell phone pin card. The GPS antenna will recognize a change in location, speed or geo-fencing, depending on the parameters set by the owner of the system. The system also has 2 neg. and 2 pos. inputs for several add ons. If the system recognizes any of the above set parameters, it'll send you a text message to your cell phone, or 3 cell phone #'s of your choice forward. It'll tell you the location via latitude and longitude coordinates that can be entered to mapquest, google maps or nav systems. It'll tell you the time, speed, coordinate, alarm triggerd etc.
The shock sensor is a standard DEI 504 sensor. 12VDC supply with a switched pos. lead.
I went up and down all cables to the alarm system of the factory stock system. I also have the el. schematics of the car. There is a 15pin and 26pin plug. None of them have a 12+ source when the system is activated and off when deactivated.
There are 2 inputs for activation and deactivation of the system. It must be some sort of NAND CMOS switch. It triggers on with one impuls of the remote fob and triggers off at another input cable with another impuls of the remote fob. I have to find out what the supply voltage is to those 2 inputs. If it's 5V, I can buy another double NAND or maybe bistable relay with 2 coils to switch the shock sensor supply voltage.
What do you think?
Thank you for your help.
Ed
Old 06-05-2009, 02:33 PM
EckFe1
Pro

Update, I measured the voltage of the 2 contacts, responsible for activating and deactivating the alarm ECU. At idle, both contacts have 8.5VDC at the terminals. Upon activating the alarm, one contact drops momentarily from 8.5 to 4.2 V while the other one remains at 8.5. When diactivating the alarm, the other contact drops momentarily to 4.2 and back up to 8.5V.
What kind of weird system is that?
Old 06-07-2009, 03:01 PM
EckFe1
Pro

Still working on solving this issue. Does anybody have any knowledge about a 555 trigger?
I might be able to use the flash led's power wire to control the power supply to the shock sensor device. Although I don't know enough about electronics to put together a good plan. I'd rather take the engine out and modify its internals.
I'm surprised that nobody here has any good knowledge of the 993 electical system.
Oh well, I'll keep trying!
Old 06-08-2009, 01:15 AM
Warpig
Pro

Sorry I have not looked much into this it's been a busy weekend.
It's probably me being dense, but... I think I am missing something here. Is the DEI-504 hooked up to the factory Porsche ACU? Or do you want to hook it up directly to the GPS? Everything I've found so far says the DEI 504 runs 1 ma current draw. You could hook it to 12V & leave it on all the time (it would probably take 6 years of not starting the car to discharge the car battery at a 1ma draw). If the alarm is not armed any triggering it does will be ignored because the alarm is off. Hook it up to 12V B+ & Gnd wires and hook the grounding trigger(s) (Light/Heavy impact) up to any grounding pin switch on the Porsche alarm (the doors maybe) again i am not familiar with the Porsche alarm system yet (maybe soon) but I imagine it has a neg trigger. Hook the neg trigger of the shock sensor & the GPS up to that.

Also If you can provide more info on the GPS Unit (A link to it would be great) I tried searching for it as you suggested and it's probably me being dense again But your search instructions made no sense to me & I still have no Idea what GPS you are trying to use. Many of the GPS units I did see have a neg trigger that can be used to activate transmitting of the GPS info over the GSM/GPRS transmitter to inform the owner that the something is up.

Nick
Old 06-09-2009, 04:22 PM
EckFe1
Pro

Hi Nick,
the GPS unit is a stand alone unit. The DEI is also a stand alone unit. At the moment, the GPS has 2 signals hooked up for triggering the system. One is the cable from the horn of the factory alarm to the switched + of the GPS unit. I tested it and it works. When the factory alarm is triggered, it activates the horn. This is my input to the GPS unit.
The other one is the DEI 504 to the GPS switched +. I ran a constant plus on it first, just like you suggested but it kept triggering away, which kept the GPS unit busy sending me text messages all the time. So then I had the idea that the factory alarm should have a 12V + when armed. I could have left the trigger cable of the shock sensor wired to the GPS unit but get power to it from the factory alarm. Since that doesn't work, I'll do as you suggested. Hook up the shock sensor power permanently, I'll still use a cut out toggle for emergency use, and wire the trigger cable to the factory alarm to a positiv connection somewhere. Since there are no extra connections, I'll have to double one with diodes.
I will then also use a cut out switch for the horn power cable right behind the connection of where I picked the trigger for the GPS system. This way, I can eliminate the horn and only get a silent alarm via text message to the cell phone. It might come in handy at times.
BTW, the sytem I purchased is called "Pekasat easy". It's a German manufacturer. Their website is www.autoalarm24.de
It's all in German so it might not help you much in terms of understanding the system. It has pics though.
Thank you very much for being patient with me sofar. I'll let you know how I hooked it up in the next few days.
Ed
Old 06-10-2009, 01:41 AM
Warpig
Pro

Sounds like you may just about have it licked. And I like your idea about silent alarm. People don't pay any attention to screaming alarm systems anyway... If I had GPS tracking in my car I sure would want to keep things on the low down so the thief thinks he's getting away with my car nice and quietly... no screaming alarm to tip him off that anything is wrong or tip off that if there is an alarm maybe there is more advanced electronics to look for... Out of sight or hearing in this case is out of mind. Let him think about that when the Police slap the cuffs on him.

Nick

Quick Reply: GPS Tracking installed but need electrical help