Notices
997 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Shift Trim, Shifter, and E-Brake Upgrade - done!

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-2009, 01:51 AM
stevepow
Three Wheelin'

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts
Default Shift Trim, Shifter, and E-Brake Upgrade - done!

I finally got these in and installed them today - not so hard as I thought it might be.

- PDK Shift Trim in Full Leather - seemed like a good place for some leather.
- PDK **** & E-Brake in Silver - needed something for a little contrast and to pick up on the other silver trim and break up all that Sand!

A before from the dealer and a few afters...
Attached Images    
Old 07-22-2009, 04:10 AM
geoffucla
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi Steve,

Looks great! I'm actually thinking of doing the exact same thing. Can you post the instructions on how to replace these items?

Thanks--

Geoff.
Old 07-22-2009, 08:39 AM
wwilliams88
Drifting

Received 244 Likes on 148 Posts

Looks really nice! I'm also thinking of the same upgrades and would appreciate any "how to" instructions you can provide.
Old 07-22-2009, 12:09 PM
JSeven
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Can you post a closer pic of the final job? I think it looks amazing and makes a huge difference regarding looks. I´ve ordered my car with it.
By the way, very nice interior and color combo, it´s exactly like car I order

J.Seven
Old 07-22-2009, 12:18 PM
stevepow
Three Wheelin'

I found some invaluable install instructions over at MACarbon.com - http://www.macarbon.com/install_guid...structions.pdf

That guide was a must, although I had to wing the last bit with the e-brake.

A few other details not in the guide for anyone interested in doing this:

1 - Follow that guide - very good tips there - make sure you have the tools they show. A set of those trim tools is worth having for jobs like this. TAPE is a must - use more than they show - when in doubt, tape it up for protection. All the screws are different sizes - label them as suggested - be organized.

2 - The e-brake takes a 13mm (I think) socket and an extension helps on the passengers side and a low profile wrench/socket for the drivers side - very tight quarters.

3 - I didn't disconnect the battery - good thing if you have power seats and PDK since it is handy to be able to move the seats and the shifter. (or maybe not - see caveat below)

4 - The shifter is easier to remove and replace in drive - there's more room to grab and turn the locking collar at the base; the entire base turns, not just the collar.

5 - The shift trim is also easier to remove/replace in drive.

6 - If you have iPod in the console, you have to take out the 3 screws in the tray (instructions show 4), then lift out the iPod tray insert - that reveals the 4th screw.

7 - It is necessary to unplug the connectors from the iPod tray insert - there are two; a 90degree plug with a coax cable and a multi-plug - both have release "levers" and unplug easily. The 90 slides sideways to come off, and the multi-plug pulls straight out. Now these connectors can go through the hole in the console when you lift it out to gain access to the e-brake.

8 - The e-brake has 1 plug near the front that needs to come out - small lever on the side to release it. There's also a clip that holds the iPod wiring to the side of the e-brake - no need to cut the tie-wrap, just pull the clip down off the bottom of the e-brake.

9 - There is a hole in the e-brake assembly - on the new unit, you'll see a 90-degree angled rod going into it from the top keeping back the rear mechanism of the brake where the cables connect. It is good to get something similar, release the e-brake, and then pull back on the cable connector and put that rod (I used a large nail - very large) into the hole to hold the spring back - this makes removing the cables easier.

10 - There are four bolts holding down the e-brake - they will give way with some force, so you need a good socket wrench that can get into that space. Passenger's side is easy with an extension. Driver's side front has to have the brake handle pulled up as far as you can. Driver's side rear has to have the brake handle released and the front seat forward so you can move the ratchet.

11 - The e-brake has two clips on the back area that create threaded holes for 2 of the 4 console tray screws that you removed. The new e-brake will not have these, so you need to transfer them over to the new e-brake.

That's it - just put it all back in reverse order with the new parts and you are good to go. Took about 3 hours to do.

One caveat - this morning I noticed the airbag light on the dash was on. Not sure why or what I may have done to cause this. The passenger "Airbag" indicator on the center console still operates correctly...hmm...and there was only one set of center console wiring to unplug/plug in and I tested all those functions before I put it back together.

Now that I think about it, that airbag light was on when I was moving the seat and shifter before I put things back together and at the time, I just figured it was bummed out that I removed that console wiring harness plug. Maybe it just needs a reset (maybe that's why they suggest disconnecting the battery in the MACarbon guide).

I had to take it into the shop today for a MF Wheel upgrade and Voice module anyway - I told them what I did with the e-brake and I reckon they'll find out what brought about the airbag light when they replace the Wheel. We'll see...

Last edited by stevepow; 07-22-2009 at 04:39 PM.
Old 07-22-2009, 01:01 PM
CBnAT
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Subtle change have made a big improvement!
Old 07-22-2009, 01:26 PM
mstams
Racer

Looks very nice. I think I prefer the standard e-brake -- but that's just me. Everybody's taste is different and the cool thing is you are customizing to make it your own.

Mind posting a closer pic to show the detail of the shifter and trim?
Old 07-22-2009, 01:43 PM
stevepow
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by mstams
Looks very nice. I think I prefer the standard e-brake -- but that's just me. Everybody's taste is different and the cool thing is you are customizing to make it your own.

Mind posting a closer pic to show the detail of the shifter and trim?
Agreed, I was 50/50 on the e-brake, but now that it's in, I think I like it (and it came as a set so...)- always have the other one if I get tired of it. The new shifter has a better hand feel to it and I sometime shift with it, so I like that. All pretty crazy bits for the $$, but whatever - now I feel like I have peed on the bush in my yard.

I may have to shoot a new / better pic when I get my car back. I also think the new MF Wheel is going to make the look even better, so I'll post back pics hopefully tonight - can't see why the dealer can't do that in a day if I was able to do all this in a few hours.

Here's some crops but they are starting to suffer...
Attached Images   
Old 07-22-2009, 01:50 PM
mstams
Racer

Originally Posted by stevepow
I also think the new MF Wheel is going to make the look even better, so I'll post back pics hopefully tonight - can't see why the dealer can't do that in a day if I was able to do all this in a few hours.
Yep. I ordered my car with the MF wheel and voice module. I prefer the look of the wheel but can't really say that I use the controls or voice very much at all. They were options, so I had to have them... Anyway, I think you'll like the look better. The regular wheel just seems too plain to me.

BTW - Did you order the aluminum MF wheel? Mine is the regular one.
Old 07-22-2009, 01:57 PM
PogueMoHone
Addict
Rennlist Member

Looks nice, the only potential issue is the hot sun on that "metal" hand brake!
Old 07-22-2009, 03:29 PM
geoffucla
Instructor

Steve, thanks so much for posting the instructions! Sounds like it's a bit of a process...

Geoff.
Old 07-22-2009, 03:42 PM
geoffucla
Instructor

Sorry Steve, the link to the instructions didn't go through. I looked on their site, but I didn't see anything about removing the PDK shift surround and shifter. Is that in the instructions you have?

Thanks--

Geoff.
Old 07-22-2009, 03:43 PM
tincanman99
Instructor

How much was that **** and brake handle? I thought Porsche had some obscene prices of like $1K for a shift ****.
Old 07-22-2009, 03:44 PM
KeninBlaine
Drifting

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by stevepow

One caveat - this morning I noticed the airbag light on the dash was on. Not sure why or what I may have done to cause this. The passenger "Airbag" indicator on the center console still operates correctly...hmm...and there was only one set of center console wiring to unplug/plug in and I tested all those functions before I put it back together.

Now that I think about it, that airbag light was on when I was moving the seat and shifter before I put things back together and at the time, I just figured it was bummed out that I removed that console wiring harness plug. Maybe it just needs a reset (maybe that's why they suggest disconnecting the battery in the MACarbon guide).

I had to take it into the shop today for a MF Wheel upgrade and Voice module anyway - I told them what I did with the e-brake and I reckon they'll find out what brought about the airbag light when they replace the Wheel. We'll see...
If you disconnect the airbag light and turn on the ignition (to adjust seats), it will cause a fault. That is why it is recommended to disconnect the battery (but it prevents you from adjusting power seats). The airbag light is easily re-set by dealer.

Nice job and thanks for the installation notes. These types of posts are the best part of this forum IMO.
Old 07-22-2009, 04:47 PM
stevepow
Three Wheelin'

Fixed the link - sorry. It is actually an install for their CF Center Console, but close enough. And it is not for PDK trim, but also close enough.

Airbag - ahhh - I figured as much. Trick is then to position the seat and shifter in advance and disconnect the battery (or conveniently have a service appt for the next day ) - lack of experience is always a potential pitfall.

Price for the parts - yes, pretty high - $1461 for all of it from Suncoast - **** and brake was around $1100 IIRC). Cost of vanity.

Quick Reply: Shift Trim, Shifter, and E-Brake Upgrade - done!