718 vs earlier boxsters

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-2018, 02:47 PM
CaymanMatt
Racer

Received 164 Likes on 99 Posts

Originally Posted by CaymanSinAR
Can you expand on that a bit?
I'll give it a try. From previous posts in various other forums/threads, it appears the Soundaktor is probably not part of the 718 GTS. I don't know if they have replaced it with the Sound Symposer that was used on the 981 or if they have just totally eliminated injected sound into the cockpit. I suspect something along the first lines but am just guessing.
MOO!
Old 08-09-2018, 03:17 PM
Wine.o
Advanced

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by lajoiedp

I disconnected the Soundaktor in my base Cayman and it definitely reduces and improves the sound in the cockpit. I don’t think the GTS has a Soundaktor.
Getting my first Porsche in a month or so (it's at the port in Emden now). Does anyone know if the Boxster S (MY19) has a Soundaktor?
Old 08-09-2018, 03:48 PM
lajoiedp
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by CaymanSinAR
Can you expand on that a bit?

The one thing that pushed me away from the 718 was the sound. Not the exhaust, but the sound inside the car. Sounded like an industrial vacuum pump. It was only recently I discovered that was a manufactured sound. No idea why on earth they went with that noise when they could have done anything.

Very curious to know how the sound in the cabin changed when you disconnected/disabled Soundaktor. By what method did you disable it?
https://www.718forum.com/forum/elect...nerator-8.html
Old 08-09-2018, 04:50 PM
CaymanSinAR
Rennlist Member

Received 635 Likes on 402 Posts

Originally Posted by Wine.o
Getting my first Porsche in a month or so (it's at the port in Emden now). Does anyone know if the Boxster S (MY19) has a Soundaktor?
Edit: Ignore. I don't know for sure.
Old 08-09-2018, 04:53 PM
CaymanSinAR
Rennlist Member

Received 635 Likes on 402 Posts

You rock. Thanks!

Down the rabbit hole of that 8 page thread I go...
Old 08-09-2018, 05:00 PM
jmh981
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

718 owners, responding to the bait in kind, just perpetuate this manufactured ''feud'' between owners, IMO.
Old 08-10-2018, 11:24 AM
manifold danger
Three Wheelin'

Received 1,133 Likes on 638 Posts

Originally Posted by blepski
It's terrible. I drove one of the first 718 Caymans last fall and was shocked at how much enjoyment was removed because of that nasty throbbing noise behind your head . The performance of the new engines is certainly not in question, but there is no hiding that new engine is nothing more than a government mandated lump that works far too hard to be expected to last.
We've been down this road before regarding noise, but what data are you drawing from to come to the conclusion that the flat 4 "works far too hard to be expected to last"?
Old 08-10-2018, 04:49 PM
Hoodoo
Instructor

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by manifold danger
We've been down this road before regarding noise, but what data are you drawing from to come to the conclusion that the flat 4 "works far too hard to be expected to last"?
His brother's ex-roomate's cousin dated a guy who was a porter at a Kia dealership who heard from the janitor who is a friend of the service advisor that some of turbocharged cars consume too much oil between services. That inside tip was practically from the horse's mouth, so it's clear that all turbocharged engines are living on borrowed time.
Old 08-10-2018, 07:13 PM
Wine.o
Advanced

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Yeah, I'm new to Porsche but these message boards baffle me. I'm buying a car b/c I want to DRIVE it. Pull the wheel, press the gas as it rockets you through a twisted mountain road with truly unbelievable control... I get it, the flat six sounded better. No argument. But as a driver, literally everything about the latest generation is superior. The noise debate is so tired, and so v/ much misses the point... at least for me.

And there's the rub Bruce001. No one can really answer your question but you. Drive all of them. Fall in love with all of them (it's so easy to do). Find out what maximizes your smiles per gallon.
Enjoy the ride sir.
Old 08-10-2018, 10:26 PM
billwot
Instructor

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Hoodoo
His brother's ex-roomate's cousin dated a guy who was a porter at a Kia dealership who heard from the janitor who is a friend of the service advisor that some of turbocharged cars consume too much oil between services. That inside tip was practically from the horse's mouth, so it's clear that all turbocharged engines are living on borrowed time.
Yup...some of those MR2 turbos like the one I had might not have lasted 500k miles!
Old 08-11-2018, 09:38 PM
rdboxster
Rennlist Member

Received 235 Likes on 171 Posts

Drove a turbo for the first time as I was asked to compare to my 981 BGTS by a friend. He is looking for a Cayman S or GTS. The 1st observation is there appears to be more leg room in the 718 which is nice. The center stack and larger screen is also an improvement over the 981. Other than a few tweaks here and there I felt very at home with the 718 interior. The ride was difficult to compare as the 718 Cayman S was standard suspension and my 981 is PASM. The drive I took wasn't about the handling as I could tell right away it was in line with what I was used to.

The power band of the turbo was very different from the flat 6. It didn't take much throttle to push me bad into the seat. The flat 6 is much more linear in its power curve. One would have to get used to how quick the turbo delivers power. It was impressive. Not going to say much about the sound as this has been way over discussed. I will say it is different and would take some getting used to. Overall I felt the 718 and 981 are very similar vehicles and are very capable for both performance and daily drivers. I would not have an issue recommending either one for someone looking at used. It comes down to which has the right options and the best transaction.
Old 08-13-2018, 06:26 PM
Nin Din Din
Instructor

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts

When will the 718 be updated? Will the update include better exhaust sound? Is it at all possible to get an exhaust note from the 718 similar to the previous cay/box?
Old 08-13-2018, 09:57 PM
manifold danger
Three Wheelin'

Received 1,133 Likes on 638 Posts

Originally Posted by Nin Din Din
When will the 718 be updated? Will the update include better exhaust sound? Is it at all possible to get an exhaust note from the 718 similar to the previous cay/box?
It won't be updated for quite some time, and no it is nowhere near possible to get a flat 4 turbo to sound like a naturally aspirated flat 6.

Here's what to try- readjust your expectations. The 718 sounds like a sports car. It just doesn't sound like a 981. They definitely sound different, but that does not equate to "bad".

Put it this way- the 718 is to sound of the 981, the same way that the 981 is to the performance of the 718. The 981 clearly and substantially sounds better, but the 718 does not sound bad. In the same way that the 718 excels at performance, the 981 is not as good but certainly not bad either.

If you truly "can't stand" the noise, I feel sorry for you, because you're just going to have to move on and stop considering a 718. Apparently you're too short-sighted to allow yourself to be entertained by a truly fantastic car. One that is empirically better than the 981 in every measurable quantity except "the feels", and then only in one category.

If you're a reasonable human being, then as I said, readjust your own level of expectation, and stop expecting the new car to sound like the old one. If you can't get past it, that's ok because a gently used 981 is an excellent car for the money and I can't see how anyone would be disappointed either way. It's just not new.

Also, the new 718s come standard with sports exhaust (as they should...), but for these cars I'd look into the aftermarket. There are plenty of them out there that make the car sound visceral and mean. But no, it will never sound like a 981.

Since I've said everything else in this post at some point in the past, I'll also point out that I actually have a 981 Boxster GTS that I absolutely adore. But some day my car will have more miles and be long out of warranty, and I'll definitely be considering a 718 at that time.
Old 08-13-2018, 11:31 PM
Nin Din Din
Instructor

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts

Thank you for your reply. Your first sentence answered my questions. The rest of your diatribe is based on conjecture. And thank you for being so presumptuous as to tell me what I should or shouldn’t do.
Old 08-14-2018, 01:39 AM
Optical TDI
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Agreed on the sound comparisons! I’ve had 2 NA 6cyl Porsche’s and they were both water cooled. Any of you around when the water cooled 911/Boxster (996/986) came of age? Most of us in this subforum are driving water cooled Porsche’s! Oh no these water cooled engines all sound terrible!! Just go ask the air cooled loyalists because those have a real Porsche engine and real Porsche sound. Can’t wait til the electric Porsche sound comparisons come to the forums.

All good interactions here and other Porsche forums and I like reading opinions about Porsche’s but couldn’t resist recalling the air vs water cooled debates.

Quick Reply: 718 vs earlier boxsters