Search this Thread

Old 08-10-2018, 05:45 PM
SuncoastParts
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 154 Likes on 83 Posts
Default 718 Side Intake Protection Grille

Recall Campaign for early 718 models. Consult your local Porsche dealer for information.

Your #1 Source for Genuine Porsche Parts and Accessories on the Web!

Visit us at http://www.SuncoastParts.com
Call us at: 877-923-1700
Email us at: Parts@SuncoastParts.com

Follow our Project 718 Build Thread!

Stay connected:
Join Our Newsletter
Facebook

Last edited by SuncoastParts; 09-10-2018 at 05:49 PM. Reason: Recall Campaign
Old 08-10-2018, 09:41 PM
msacks
Advanced

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

How much are they.
Old 08-11-2018, 05:28 PM
msacks
Advanced

Wow, $157.00 for two tiny pieces of plastic! I know, I know, it’s Porsche, but OMG that’s a lot for what it is. Somebody have a 3D printer? You could crank these out and sell a set for $50 and make a mint!

Here’s the link to the part on the Suncoast site: Intake Protection Grills
Old 08-11-2018, 08:00 PM
85Gold
Rennlist Member

Received 713 Likes on 417 Posts

My late June CGTS build has them as OEM.

Peter
Old 08-11-2018, 11:20 PM
Leicht
Advanced

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

It was free for us early 718 owners from the dealership due to WJ35 recall campaign.
Old 09-10-2018, 04:32 PM
msacks
Advanced

Porsche issued a recall notice for the installation of these grills (I just received my official notice by mail today).

In any case, if you don't know about the recall, it covers all 2017 - 2019 Boxsters/Caymans. Recall: Porsche Safety Service Action WJ35 - Retrofitting Additional Protective Grilles for the Air Intakes.

IMO, it's a pretty deceptive practice by SunCoast Parts to advertise these here, getting users to spend $157 (plus shipping) for them, when they knew fully about this recall. Look at their OP, no mention of recall in it.
Old 09-10-2018, 05:40 PM
SuncoastParts
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

We just became aware of the bulletin, it was released on Friday internally. Obviously, we didn't know that this was going to be a recall campaign. We found these in the catalog in June and ordered at that time. We guessed that they might become standard equipment on future models, but there were no catalog notes on why they exist. We ordered, tested, and figured that this was a smart upgrade. Even some of our employees personally bought them, so we're in the same boat too. If you purchased them from us, please email us at parts@suncoastparts.com, and we will see what we can do to help. Not sure how to handle it yet, but we will help in any way we can.

Well I hope we can use this thread to spread the word to 718 owners. We're glad Porsche developed these. It really is a MUST HAVE item for a 718. If you want to know if your 718 is part of the campaign, contact us with your VIN number and we can check it for you.
Old 09-11-2018, 12:28 AM
Optical TDI
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by SuncoastParts
We just became aware of the bulletin, it was released on Friday internally. Obviously, we didn't know that this was going to be a recall campaign. We found these in the catalog in June and ordered at that time. We guessed that they might become standard equipment on future models, but there were no catalog notes on why they exist. We ordered, tested, and figured that this was a smart upgrade. Even some of our employees personally bought them, so we're in the same boat too. If you purchased them from us, please email us at parts@suncoastparts.com, and we will see what we can do to help. Not sure how to handle it yet, but we will help in any way we can.

Well I hope we can use this thread to spread the word to 718 owners. We're glad Porsche developed these. It really is a MUST HAVE item for a 718. If you want to know if your 718 is part of the campaign, contact us with your VIN number and we can check it for you.
Thanks Suncoast for the explanation. Most of us don’t think you guys did anything deceptive. Keep up the good work.
Old 09-12-2018, 06:30 PM
ldamelio
Rennlist Member

Received 896 Likes on 482 Posts

Follow-up for those, who like me, bought them before available free as part of upgrade/warranty:

1. PCNA has no formal rebate program, but is sending me $200 credit for use at local dealer after verification of my purchase. I paid $157 plus shipping and self-installed.
2. Suncoast offered to take them back and issue refund and then I could get them at dealer gratis/warranty. Option 1 was better for me.

Both stand-up business practices IMO.
Old 09-14-2018, 04:34 PM
wriggly
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm not sold on the inserts. My concern, that while easy to snap into place, how about removing them when it's time to vacuum the radiators and remove the little stuff that makes it through the grills? I don't smoke and I don't drive my Cayman in heavy traffic. In fact, the roads I frequent are curvy country roads and in the rare happenstance I encounter any vehicles in front of me I stay waaaaaay the heck back. I've learned to do this over the years to prevent the tiny stone chips to the front. It works. Porsche is addressing the issue to prevent errant cigarettes or cigar butts entering the intakes and starting an engine compartment fire, something I'm not likely to encounter.
Old 09-14-2018, 05:53 PM
msacks
Advanced

Originally Posted by wriggly
I'm not sold on the inserts. My concern, that while easy to snap into place, how about removing them when it's time to vacuum the radiators and remove the little stuff that makes it through the grills? I don't smoke and I don't drive my Cayman in heavy traffic. In fact, the roads I frequent are curvy country roads and in the rare happenstance I encounter any vehicles in front of me I stay waaaaaay the heck back. I've learned to do this over the years to prevent the tiny stone chips to the front. It works. Porsche is addressing the issue to prevent errant cigarettes or cigar butts entering the intakes and starting an engine compartment fire, something I'm not likely to encounter.
So don't do it, no one's holding a gun to your head. But what about road debris you can't avoid (leaves, trash, etc.), eventually, no matter how careful you try to be, your scoops are gonna suck some trash in. The inserts are super easy to install and remove.
Old 09-15-2018, 06:25 PM
wriggly
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by msacks
So don't do it, no one's holding a gun to your head. But what about road debris you can't avoid (leaves, trash, etc.), eventually, no matter how careful you try to be, your scoops are gonna suck some trash in. The inserts are super easy to install and remove.
I've owned my 718 GTS since early March and just over 3000 miles and there hasn't been anything in either intake except two tiny pebbles on one side.If the grills were in place, the pebbles would have still fit in and wouldn't have been able to have been removed without removing the grills? Hence my concern about whether they are easy to take back out to get access to the radiators if needed. I've seen they are easy to install, but haven't heard nor seen anyone remove them once installed.
But, alas...I guess I'll just banish myself to the Camaro forums for having a viewpoint that differs from the masses.
Old 09-15-2018, 07:10 PM
msacks
Advanced

Originally Posted by wriggly

I've owned my 718 GTS since early March and just over 3000 miles and there hasn't been anything in either intake except two tiny pebbles on one side.If the grills were in place, the pebbles would have still fit in and wouldn't have been able to have been removed without removing the grills? Hence my concern about whether they are easy to take back out to get access to the radiators if needed. I've seen they are easy to install, but haven't heard nor seen anyone remove them once installed.
But, alas...I guess I'll just banish myself to the Camaro forums for having a viewpoint that differs from the masses.
I just had mine installed today, they are siimple to install and remove when needed. You should get them.
Old 09-17-2018, 01:57 PM
SuncoastParts
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

We just got back from Sebring with our shop car and after two sessions we pulled out rubber chunks from the driver's side intake. Those things are little bullets when you're at speed. Definitely worth it to get them added under the recall, and again, if you purchased them from us please reach out
Old 09-20-2018, 05:26 PM
msacks
Advanced

Porsche dealer installed mine on Saturday, looks like they did a lot more than just pop the grills in, which explains why it took so long.

Quick Reply: 718 Side Intake Protection Grille