Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Finally test drove the 718 Cayman

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-2019, 10:11 AM
michael818
Rennlist Member

Received 287 Likes on 149 Posts

I had both an RS4 and an RS3 and now drive a 718 CGTS. Both Audi's sounded better to me than the GTS. Both Audi's were less fun than the GTS. Personally, I liked the RS3 interior and the electronics are far superior to the GTS. Porsche lags behind Audi in putting modern amenities in the car.
Old 05-11-2019, 02:14 PM
john981
Rennlist Member

Received 227 Likes on 139 Posts

Thank you all for your helpful answers. I see that meanwhile my thread has taken very interesting directions, which is always great, opens other perspective. It is good to see, that I am not the only one who plays with thoughts owning more than one porsche. If I want to keep my 981 boxster, my biggest challenge would be to convince my wife to drive a cayman as a daily driver. I am not rich enough, otherwise I would have kept my other daily driver and bought/leased the Cayman on top. Selling my 981 boxster dosent make that much sense for now: I have invested way too much money in this car and with the crazy tax rules in california, I would loose also tax and license so this way I would loose almost 40% within less than a year. I could sell the car on the private market, but don't have the desire of all the hassles with private potential buyers, have never sold a car on the private market. On top of all that, I still loveeee my 981 boxster.

So after hearing all the encouraging stories here, I think it apparently makes sense to own a 718 cayman and 981 boxster in the same time and I definitely will try to go that route.

One last thing about the dead horse: I fully agree with @manifold danger we are coming to this forum to hear the same stuff over and over again and see and hear things form other perspectives. Even though I am clear now, please don't stop discussing 981 vs 718 and don't stop discussing about sound and all the great things........
Old 05-12-2019, 12:25 AM
Two718s
Advanced

Received 44 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by john981
Thank you all for your helpful answers. I see that meanwhile my thread has taken very interesting directions, which is always great, opens other perspective. It is good to see, that I am not the only one who plays with thoughts owning more than one porsche.

So after hearing all the encouraging stories here, I think it apparently makes sense to own a 718 cayman and 981 boxster in the same time and I definitely will try to go that route.

One last thing about the dead horse: I fully agree with @manifold danger we are coming to this forum to hear the same stuff over and over again and see and hear things form other perspectives. Even though I am clear now, please don't stop discussing 981 vs 718 and don't stop discussing about sound and all the great things........
I think that's a great idea. The 718 Cayman and 981 Boxster are different enough that you'll never be bored, and they're both fantastic cars. I came close to having the reverse (718 Boxster and 981 Cayman S), but ultimately just bought a 718 Cayman S to pair with the 718 Boxster. It's a good life we lead if it allows us to have one Porsche. But two Porsches? That's almost too much fun 😎
Old 05-18-2019, 06:40 PM
Optical TDI
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by manifold danger
This, this right here.

I had a 718 Cayman S "extended test drive" of sorts about a year ago, when I had my 981 BGTS in for service. They couldn't finish my car that day so they let me keep it over the weekend. I really, really loved the 718, far more than I expected, to the point where I was almost sad when it was time to pick up my car and was almost starting to consider if I made the wrong call on choosing a 981.

All the way up until I sat in my car and turned the ignition. All doubt was completely erased by the time I turned out of the dealership parking lot.

The only thing this actually proves is that whichever car you choose, just avoid driving the other one.
So true! When we were shopping 718s, we usually had the odyssey or wrangler to drive home after. However we were replacing a 2013 Audi TTS modified to stg 2. Loved that car. But I didn’t realize how much I loved the 718 more until I drove the TTS to the Porsche dealer. Drove 718 again then TTS home. Then I knew how much better in so many ways the 718 was. It wasn’t until then did I fully sell myself on the 718.

No regrets. But the AWD TTS acceleration in the wet was outstanding. Great car. Would consider a mk3 TTRS for winter car at some point.
Old 05-21-2019, 02:56 PM
Omm
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Two718s
hey stare, or they screech up behind you and then floor it to pass you (usually in a beat-up Honda Civic Si with an "Integra Type R" sticker on it). At gas stations I just get ignored, or get slightly hostile looks. No one wanders over and asks what kind of car it is.
I get older tuner cars doing this to me a lot too. But sometimes I'm not as mature as you. I have a base 718 with Sport Chrono, and sometimes if the road is open, I'm go into Sport Plus and hit the Response button. But I do get compliments on the road and in parking lots and gas stations as well. My car is white, so maybe we're a more approachable combination

Quick Reply: Finally test drove the 718 Cayman