Cayman S - Essential Options

Search this Thread

Old 06-11-2019, 11:22 AM
worf928
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1,543 Likes on 1,007 Posts

Originally Posted by CaymanMatt
I think I would skip the PTV. Too much concern regarding eating rear brake pads, although maybe not ...
Sorry, this is FUD.

Outside of regular DE and/or AX PTV will have a trivial effect of rear pad life.

If going to DE/AX then there’s a lot longer discussion.
Old 06-11-2019, 01:54 PM
CaymanMatt
Racer

Received 164 Likes on 99 Posts

Originally Posted by worf928
Sorry, this is FUD.

Outside of regular DE and/or AX PTV will have a trivial effect of rear pad life.

If going to DE/AX then there’s a lot longer discussion.
You will note that I said "concern regarding eating rear brake pads, although maybe not so much in a DD". The question becomes how are you going to use your car? If as a fun DD or road going fun toy, how much benefit will you get from PTV? If none or very little in that type of usage, why spend the money? If it's going to see track time as an occasional DE type of car, do you really want to be replacing rear brake pads every couple trips (as seems to be the case as indicated by threads I've read)? If you are going to run AX or use the car for real track time, the benefit is probably worth the cost.

With the PVT you do get the locking diff but for me & given the expected usage planned for my car, I think PTV probably isn't necessary, which is basically the point I made. YMMV
Old 06-11-2019, 02:40 PM
worf928
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1,543 Likes on 1,007 Posts

Originally Posted by CaymanMatt
You will note that I said "concern regarding eating rear brake pads, although maybe not so much in a DD". The question becomes how are you going to use your car? If as a fun DD or road going fun toy, how much benefit will you get from PTV? If none or very little in that type of usage, why spend the money? If it's going to see track time as an occasional DE type of car, do you really want to be replacing rear brake pads every couple trips (as seems to be the case as indicated by threads I've read)? If you are going to run AX or use the car for real track time, the benefit is probably worth the cost.

With the PVT you do get the locking diff but for me & given the expected usage planned for my car, I think PTV probably isn't necessary, which is basically the point I made. YMMV
Yeah, like I wrote, a longer discussion

I notice LSD, or lack-of LSD, easily. DD or DE that's probably the deciding issue: does the driver notice the difference and does it make a difference to them or not.

If you're DEing you will be replacing brake fluid, front pads, rotors and tires frequently. The additional expense of replacing rear pads twice as often (or with every front pad change) is incremental. Furthermore, as you get better and rely less on PSC the rear wear will decrease in its speed. On a DD, occasional use of the rear pads via PSC doesn't cause the same level of heat soak in the pads and they will last longer.

And none of that is even in the same ballpark as the expense and 'vigorous' debate over DEs and PCCBs.

As always YMMV.

My bottom line is I won't have a Porsche sports car without LSD/PTV and I miss it in our Macan.
Old 06-11-2019, 10:17 PM
Optical TDI
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

PVT is an option I wish I had. It would be of help in enthusiastic street driving even if someone doesn’t do any track events. Probably safer in inclement weather too.
Old 06-12-2019, 05:08 AM
Omm
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

To the OP, something Ive learned from the various Porsche forums, is that there are many different types of Porsche drivers with very different needs, usage and priorities. There are some people such as myself that are focused on performance and looks. My car is a DD and I live in San Francisco and Santa Cruz. Others are more into comfort oriented, weekend only cruisers and so on. When asking certain types of questions, it might be prudent to consider this when taking input from such a varied group of people.

By the way, I love PASM and PTV, but they really come alive when the car is driven aggressively and in Sport+ mode, which requires Sport Chrono. I've got 20" wheels and the car is lowered because of PASM. I love the aggressive look, compared to a non-PASM car with 19" wheels, but it's a firmer ride, especially in the city (I grew up north of Boston and went to BU). That might not be worth it for some/most people. I drive a little more cautiously in the city and dodge a lot of obstacles, but when I get on the open road - it's all worth it for me.
Old 06-13-2019, 05:26 PM
ghost_03
Advanced

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by worf928
Yeah, like I wrote, a longer discussion

I notice LSD, or lack-of LSD, easily. DD or DE that's probably the deciding issue: does the driver notice the difference and does it make a difference to them or not.

If you're DEing you will be replacing brake fluid, front pads, rotors and tires frequently. The additional expense of replacing rear pads twice as often (or with every front pad change) is incremental. Furthermore, as you get better and rely less on PSC the rear wear will decrease in its speed. On a DD, occasional use of the rear pads via PSC doesn't cause the same level of heat soak in the pads and they will last longer.

And none of that is even in the same ballpark as the expense and 'vigorous' debate over DEs and PCCBs.

As always YMMV.

My bottom line is I won't have a Porsche sports car without LSD/PTV and I miss it in our Macan.
QFT. As far as extra track day maintenance, I probably spend more time cleaning rubber off the paint than changing pads. It's an expensive and time consuming hobby, and brake pads are probably a 3rd or even 4th order consideration compared to everything else. Inside tire fire, on the other hand, is a 1st order one for me. PTV was a must-have on my order if only because of the differential. I know aftermarket ones are cheaper/better, but I'm not about to split the case on a brand new transmission. TBH I think it's a little silly these cars don't come with differentials when cars like the M2 do, but option pricing is another discussion altogether.
Old 06-13-2019, 08:04 PM
Michael Atamian
5th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

FWIW, I just picked up a Cayman S and it will be a daily driver for me- although I do work from home :-)

What everyone else said- highly individualized based on your needs.

I got premium package plus with 18-way seats, 20" Carrera wheels, leather interior, LCA, sport wheel/heated, power folding mirrors, BOSE, seat heating/ventilation, manual gearbox, plus some cosmetic items like high gloss black handles and tailpipes.

I did not get PASM or PTV. I just didn't think I needed it. Others will swear by them, and they'd be right for their needs. I think the only thing we can agree on is the Porsche Configurator probably drove all of us insane.

Quick Reply: Cayman S - Essential Options