Sponsored by:

Cayman S - Essential Options

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-2019, 05:34 PM
kitsae
6th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Cayman S - Essential Options

I am looking to purchase a Cayman S and would like your views on essential options.

My initial thoughts are:

- Premium package plus

- Sport chrono package

Curious on your thoughts, including whether PASM should be included.

Thank you.
Old 06-09-2019, 07:36 PM
ZXTT95
Track Day

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

I don't have one of these cars, so this is based on me figuring out what I'd want. It comes down to what's important to you. That said:

Premium Package Plus means you also have to select 14 or 18-way seats (which includes memory for seats and other things) instead of the base or 2-way seats - 2-way being less adjustable versions of the 18-way. Seats are a personal decision. I'd like the 18-way, although most cars seem to come with the 14-way. Regarding the packages, look at what's in them: PP has a nice set of improvements, but PP+ requires more thought. From PP+, I'd definitely take Entry and Drive, can do without paying for cooled seats and more lighting. Do you want to pay >$1,000 for those last two? Then go for it, and save $80 by packaging the three items together.

Sport Chrono doesn't do much for me on PDK cars - on manuals, it brings rev matching, so I'd certainly want it there. Otherwise, the control wheel on the steering wheel is nice. I don't need launch control (PDK only) and I find Sport+ with PDK irritating with the high revs, plus I prefer the extra sound from Sport. I like the clock, but it's not a requirement. That leaves the control wheel (with it's customization option) and the dynamic transmission mounts - not much for >$3K. But this is for me. If you love the thought of launch control and want Sport+ for track use, then it looks different.

I'd take PASM over SC on a PDK-equipped car. It means both handing and ride will always be a bit better. But it's not required - this car will still handle better, and with a good ride, than anything else most of us can dream of affording.

So, given that I want a daily driver and not a track car, and based on US build options, my desired options end up in this order:

Must have:
14-way or 18-way seats (18 if I'm ordering, will accept 14 if it's on the lot or used - may 2-way Plus seats as well)
Premium Package
Entry and Drive (PP+ if it's on the lot/used)

And then roughly in this order:
LCA
GT Sport Steering Wheel /w controls
CarPlay (was included with Connect prior to 2019, when Connect without CarPlay became standard)
PSE (standard starting in 2019)
Bose
PASM
SC

I wouldn't pay for bigger wheels.

Last edited by ZXTT95; 06-10-2019 at 12:52 PM. Reason: Sport Chrono *doesn't* do much for me...
Old 06-09-2019, 07:40 PM
X2Board
Pro

Received 94 Likes on 50 Posts

SC, PTV, SPASM.
Old 06-09-2019, 09:09 PM
Chester7
Racer

Received 165 Likes on 102 Posts

Premium Package Plus
PASM (SPASM is too low for many roads in Central Texas, where you can have very steep ramps to enter shopping and eating establishments)
Bose (listen to it first)
I would say keyless entry, but I just couldn't pay the $2,000 for this option that should be standard.
Old 06-10-2019, 04:32 AM
Omm
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

As Chester7 wrote, SPASM might be a little too low depending on how you use the car and where you are. PASM lowers about .39", and SPASM is double that.

As for options, Sport Chrono, PASM, PTV, Bose and the extended range gas tank.
Old 06-10-2019, 08:50 AM
Gamecock718
Advanced

Received 20 Likes on 13 Posts

It probably depends on what you'll use the car for... daily driver? Weekend cruiser to take downtown or on beach vacations? Motorsports enthusiast who will take it to the track? Is music important, or are you mainly going to listen to the motor? Where do you live?
Old 06-10-2019, 12:00 PM
kitsae
6th Gear

This was a tremendously helpful response. Thank you!
Old 06-10-2019, 12:01 PM
kitsae
6th Gear

Yes I will be using it for daily driving in Boston, which raises concerns for me about lowering the car too low as well as having to deal with winter tires ;-\

But I love this car.
Old 06-10-2019, 12:08 PM
worf928
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1,543 Likes on 1,007 Posts

Originally Posted by kitsae
Yes I will be using it for daily driving in Boston, which...
... means you do NOT want SPASM.

You do need to figure out which of the 4 seat options suit you. No answered questions or opinions about seats on this board can replace your buttometer.

Last edited by worf928; 06-10-2019 at 09:18 PM.
Old 06-10-2019, 03:23 PM
kitsae
6th Gear

Thank you!

if I go premium plus I believe it allows be to choose between the 14 and 18 position seating opitons. Do you feel strongly about 18 vs. 14? I think its a $1k or so more for the extra four positions, seems a little overkill to me, but curious to hear your thoughts.
Old 06-10-2019, 05:40 PM
KingMota
Intermediate

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

As others have stated, you need seat time to make a determination on which style (Sport or Sport+) fits your body type and driving style best. Seat choice was my most important decision in my Cayman build and I completely flipped from thinking only Sport to only Sport+. I am very sensitive to aggressive lumbar support and initially thought Sport+ was too strong. I also found a significant difference in feel between leather (stiffest), Sport-Tex and Alcantara (softest). The Sport+ also have exaggerated shoulder support which is great in two hands on the wheel aggressive driving, but a little uncomfortable in one hand on wheel other arm on console freeway cruising.

I ended up getting 18 way Alcantara seats along with Premium Plus with my GTS, but if I had it to do over again I would get 2 way Sport+ and skip premium plus. I would save the money (over $4,500) or spend it on Sport Chrono (if you get PDK) or other options like full leather or Sport-Tex. I feel like the Premium Plus options are not critical in this type car. I really regret paying for keyless start (comfort entry). I ended up thinking the 2 way Sport+ were fine "as is". I thought my wife would drive the car more and wanted convenience of auto changing seat position with 18 way. Long story, but she is not driving the Cayman any.

As for PASM or SPASM, I admit I got SPASM partially to reduce wheel / tire gap from the .8" drop along with my 20" tires. However, if you don't care about wheel gap or are worried about scraping front end, I would stick with 19" tires and standard suspension. On this one I don't regret my decision but I don't know enough about you from your post.

You have not mentioned your audio choice. I blew the bank and got Burmester and don't regret it one bit. Not pushing that option, just saying that with your daily commute you won't always be focused on engine sound.
Old 06-10-2019, 05:54 PM
KingMota
Intermediate

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

As OP said, I recommend Lane Change Assist (LCA). I also got the PDLS+. Not sure how much night driving you will do. I have heard standard lights are weak, but no chance to test that pre-build. If you want PDLS it is cheaper bundled with some of the premium packages if you decide to get them.
Old 06-10-2019, 09:40 PM
worf928
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1,543 Likes on 1,007 Posts

Thank you!
if I go premium plus I believe it allows be to choose between the 14 and 18 position seating opitons. Do you feel strongly about 18 vs. 14?
All seat options are available whether or not you select a package. You do not have to select premium or premium-plus to get any seat you want.

I think its a $1k or so more for the extra four positions, seems a little overkill to me, but curious to hear your thoughts.
It isn't about the number of adjustments. It's about ...

Originally Posted by KingMota
As others have stated, you need seat time to make a determination on which style (Sport or Sport+) fits your body type and driving style best.
... the seat back architecture as KM alludes to here --^.

All four seats feel different. But the biggest difference is between the two sport seats and the two sport-plus seats. The rest is power adjustments which give you more adjustment range than the (sorta-)manual seats.

... and skip premium plus. I would save the money (over $4,500) or spend it on ...
I agree. I see no point to any of the packages unless you have to have *all* the features. Every feature is available on its own and you only save money on the package if you would otherwise get them all.

For me, Porsche Entry and Go is nice on the grocery-getter. On the sports cars it doesn't matter. Keyless entry/go gives you keyfobs with short battery life, frunk lids that pop open when you wash the hood and a more-hackable system due to the constant pinging the fob does.

If you DD you'll find that the auto-dimming rear view mirror never dims when you want it to except at night. For example: when it isn't dark and the pickup behind you is driving with lights on. Since every car is higher than a Cayman you're always blinded by anyone behind you with their lights on unless it's pitch black outside.

PDLS is ok but not essential. Light Design Package is very easy to live without. It doesn't actually serve a purpose other than to look sorta cool when you open the doors.

The 14-way and 18-way seats aren't included in the package price. You get memory with them regardless of the package.

However, if you don't care about wheel gap or are worried about scraping front end, I would stick with 19" tires and standard suspension. On this one I don't regret my decision but I don't know enough about you from your post.
If DD'ing 'round Boston I completly agree.

Old 06-11-2019, 06:52 AM
Yc911Kid
Three Wheelin'

Received 769 Likes on 402 Posts

carplay & bose since you don't have that lovely NA sound , def need some good music for the ear

and heated steering wheel/seats if you have a winter & drive

full leather
Old 06-11-2019, 10:08 AM
CaymanMatt
Racer

Received 164 Likes on 99 Posts

I am looking to purchase a Cayman S and would like your views on essential options.

My initial thoughts are:

- Premium package plus

- Sport chrono package

Curious on your thoughts, including whether PASM should be included.

Thank you.
My essential options:
I am happy I have PASM. So far no clearance issues & the suspension control is nice. I don't think I'd go for SPASM. Too much worry about bottoming and ride stiffness.
I have Sport Chrono with the 6-speed. Definitely an option I would buy again. Love the rev matching and steering wheel control.
18 way seats. The most comfortable seats (driver & passenger) I've experienced.
Multi-function wheel is I think a necessity in a daily driver.
Definitely get the $0 optional Luggage Net in Passenger Footwell. Our phones fit perfectly there with the charging cables running from the armrest location along the tunnel.
We have the Navigation. It works well & gets used.
Don't forget the $0 "Voice Control"
Bose? Not the best system but I don't know what the standard system is like. I'd probably get it again.
I think I'd also stay with the 19" wheels/tires.

I think I would skip the PTV. Too much concern regarding eating rear brake pads, although maybe not so much in a DD.
Skip the smoking package.

General thoughts about some of the options in the Premium Package Plus:
Love the Bi-Xenon headlights with PDLS. I would not spend the extra money on "in Black". LED headlights? With unlimited budget, maybe yes. Otherwise no.
We have Entry & Drive. I would not consider this necessary unless you or SO don't want to pull keys out of a purse, etc. Security concerns would also make me question this if I had to do it again.
Climate control: a little strange but it works well. Always resets to 72degrees. Better than manual control.
Seat heating: I think necessary, particularly in Boston

I hope this helps & MOO!!

Quick Reply: Cayman S - Essential Options