Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1,543 Likes on 1,007 Posts

Old 04-12-2024, 03:14 PM
Paul S.
Pro

Received 66 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by Moose
Bringing this back instead of starting new post - I don't see an answer to the original question...

How much fluid PER WHEEL should we pull to completely flush system?

Thanks

Steve
My process (which was honed flushing brake fluid every month back in 2001-2005 while doing 18-22 HPDE's each year) using a motive power bleeder is roughly this:

--there is no set amount per wheel because those farther down the line from the master cylinder require more fluid to be drained assuming you start bleeding at the passenger side wheels (front and rear are on separate circuits so you can pick one or the other). I usually start bleeding at the passenger side rear wheel, inner bleeder.

--I start with a full liter of brake fluid in the Motive power bleeder which is roughly twice as much as this system holds. I use an old glass tall 16 oz olive jar that has a hole drilled in the lid through which the plastic tubing from the bleeder screw fits. I know, I'm part bubba when it comes to this. The jar I have is over 20 years old now. That size jar is important for my "measurement". You can buy fancy drain bottles if you like. I prefer to use a long piece of drain tube so I can eyeball the fluid coming out of the bleeder for color as it's at the tip of the tubing dripping into the jar. I drain roughly half or so of the jar (not precise as it doesn't matter) at the first wheel, most of it from the inner bleed screw which is way more than required. The key is looking at the brake fluid as it drains because the old fluid will be slightly darker than the new fluid coming from the motive power bleeder. When it looks like no bubbles and all clean fluid (I used Pentosin DOT 4 LV in my 2022 BGTS) then close the inner bleeder and move to the outer bleeder. Then without emptying the jar, I bleed the outer bleed screw the same look, no bubbles and all clean fluid. I may be at 3/4's of the jar just because I'm not worried about running out. So call it 12-14 ounces at wheel #1, passenger side rear.

--the rest of the wheels, the passenger front wheel maybe a half off the jar. That uses up about half of the liter of brake fluid, which is more than necessary but it goes by fast and again doesn't really matter because any remaining fluid in the motive jug is discarded when done. And you have a good 16 oz of brake fluid to do the driver side rear and front wheels. So budget roughly 4 oz per bleeder.

The first time you do this buy 2 liters of fluid just in case. After the first time you'll only use one.

So there's no set amount--what it takes to have clear fluid at each bleeder before you stop. So If you're counting at home and have your handy pint sized drain jar handy, 6 oz at inner bleeder, 2 oz or so at the outer bleeder of wheel #1 farthest from the master cylinder. Same for wheel #2 next farthest and 4 oz or so at each bleeder of the remaining wheels. This is not scientific and I know there are folks that flush brake fluid using a pint of brake fluid. As you develop an eye for this you get real good at telling it's time to stop bleeding by the color of the fluid coming out of the tubing. A beginner, bleed way more than you need just try to not use that second liter.
Old 04-12-2024, 03:40 PM
spdracerut
Three Wheelin'

Received 547 Likes on 373 Posts

Originally Posted by Paul S.
The first time you do this buy 2 liters of fluid just in case. After the first time you'll only use one.
When I did a full brake setup swap with new calipers, brake lines, and rotors at all four corners, I ended up using a total of 1.5L which included bleeding the brakes twice because I didn't get all the air out the first time. So having 2L on hand is good advice.

Quick Reply: 718 Brake fluid flush