Notices
718 Forum 982 (718) 2016-Current Discussions about 718 Boxster Cayman Variants
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How badly are full manual seats going to kill me on resale?

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-2021, 09:41 PM
blabus
Rennlist Member

Received 84 Likes on 39 Posts
Default How badly are full manual seats going to kill me on resale?

I'm in the market for a 718 Boxster GTS and came across a pre-owned one that I quite like. It's an odd spec though- full leather interior, keyless entry + drive, steering wheel controls... yet completely manual seats. I'm not sure what the exact seat option is in Porsche's configurator but they have a handle to pump them up/down and the pull handle to slide the seat forward/back. The only electrical adjustment is the recline angle (the steering wheel is also manual adjustment).

I'm personally not overly concerned with that as the rest of the car is exactly the spec I want, however I am concerned with resale down the line given that I don't intend to keep the car long-term (it'll mostly be a car to use for the next ~9 months while I wait for a 992 Turbo S build to arrive). Are the manual seats going to kill me on the resale? The car is already priced quite aggressively for the current market from what I can tell, and I suspect that's probably due to the seats.
Old 03-07-2021, 10:44 PM
sanderabernathy
Rennlist Member

Received 801 Likes on 360 Posts

Originally Posted by blabus;[url=tel:17280199
17280199[/url]]I'm in the market for a 718 Boxster GTS and came across a pre-owned one that I quite like. It's an odd spec though- full leather interior, keyless entry + drive, steering wheel controls... yet completely manual seats. I'm not sure what the exact seat option is in Porsche's configurator but they have a handle to pump them up/down and the pull handle to slide the seat forward/back. The only electrical adjustment is the recline angle (the steering wheel is also manual adjustment).

I'm personally not overly concerned with that as the rest of the car is exactly the spec I want, however I am concerned with resale down the line given that I don't intend to keep the car long-term (it'll mostly be a car to use for the next ~9 months while I wait for a 992 Turbo S build to arrive). Are the manual seats going to kill me on the resale? The car is already priced quite aggressively for the current market from what I can tell, and I suspect that's probably due to the seats.
Manual seats are fine. Sounds like you’re getting a discount on the purchase and you’ll be giving a discount when you sell it later. Honestly though, there are a lot of options today so the discount is pretty big. In five or ten years there will be fewer alternatives so the discount will likely be less. Buyers may even say “I got an old school Porsche with a flat six, no turbo AND MANUAL SEATS. It’s virtually air cooled.”
The following users liked this post:
HelpMeHelpU (03-08-2021)
Old 03-07-2021, 11:12 PM
modifieda4
Instructor

Received 74 Likes on 49 Posts

manual seats are a bonus in my mind. i've adjusted my manual seats 1 time since purchase.
HelpMeHelpU (03-08-2021)
Old 03-07-2021, 11:12 PM
JP4931
Rennlist Member

Received 27 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by blabus
I'm in the market for a 718 Boxster GTS and came across a pre-owned one that I quite like. It's an odd spec though- full leather interior, keyless entry + drive, steering wheel controls... yet completely manual seats. I'm not sure what the exact seat option is in Porsche's configurator but they have a handle to pump them up/down and the pull handle to slide the seat forward/back. The only electrical adjustment is the recline angle (the steering wheel is also manual adjustment).

I prefer the two way seats. The 18 way seats do not go low enough. If it matters, the two way seats are also a lighter option.
ausgang (03-19-2021)
Old 03-07-2021, 11:24 PM
Bob Z.
Rennlist Member

Received 3,366 Likes on 2,309 Posts

I think it might more if it were a Boxster S or standard Boxster, and if you have a Turbo S on order I would not worry about a little reduction when it comes time to sell, if that at all.
Old 03-08-2021, 02:03 AM
rjag2034
Racer

Received 377 Likes on 203 Posts

I have the 2 way sport seats plus on my GTS 4.0. Its the way I wanted, they are lighter seats and still very comfortable. You'll find prob 1/2 of these models are spec'd like this, if you're the only person driving it then set it up and you're good to go.
The following 2 users liked this post by rjag2034:
HelpMeHelpU (03-08-2021), JP4931 (03-08-2021)
Old 03-08-2021, 02:09 AM
blabus
Rennlist Member

Received 84 Likes on 39 Posts

Thanks for the info! Sounds like it's not a big deal after all, I would've thought the majority of people wouldn't want manual seats in a $70k+ car but works for me!
cerbomark (03-08-2021)
Old 03-08-2021, 08:23 AM
TXshaggy
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 3,347 Likes on 1,929 Posts

Originally Posted by blabus
Thanks for the info! Sounds like it's not a big deal after all, I would've thought the majority of people wouldn't want manual seats in a $70k+ car but works for me!
I wouldn’t not purchase a used car solely on seat selection —unless you have to have the LWBS — but doubt majority select them.

In the Spyder database it’s about a 20% take rate; 18 ways over half then buckets.

Since you’re turning it over in less than a year; I’d focus on getting best price you can to minimize the delta.
HelpMeHelpU (03-08-2021)
Old 03-08-2021, 01:20 PM
Dr.Bill
Race Car

Received 719 Likes on 394 Posts

The 2-way sport seats are fine.
However, I thought the 'entry and drive' feature required the 18-way seats? Part of the entry and drive process is the driver seat moves back and the steering wheel moves up. Don't think the 2-ways do that.
Check the window sticker to be sure. Or use the VIN decoder.
Old 03-08-2021, 09:14 PM
JP4931
Rennlist Member

Received 27 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by Dr.Bill
The 2-way sport seats are fine.
However, I thought the 'entry and drive' feature required the 18-way seats? Part of the entry and drive process is the driver seat moves back and the steering wheel moves up. Don't think the 2-ways do that.
Check the window sticker to be sure. Or use the VIN decoder.
I ordered the 2-way seats on my CGTS because that i what i wanted. My car also has the premium package which includes entry and drive.
Old 03-08-2021, 09:26 PM
Momentum Worx
Former Vendor

Received 106 Likes on 75 Posts

Originally Posted by modifieda4
manual seats are a bonus in my mind. i've adjusted my manual seats 1 time since purchase.
This, although you and I are probably in the minority.

I prefer simpler, lighter things with less electronic tomfoolery.
Old 03-09-2021, 12:07 AM
Optical TDI
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

For many, seats may get not matter. My 996 two way sports seats were fantastic with a lot of lumbar support. However the current sport 2-ways have little lumbar support IMO.

So when I was searching for the used 718, it had to have the 18-ways. Otherwise deal killer. I know the 14-ways have adjustable lumbar too, but the tops don’t fit me well.

Old 03-09-2021, 09:01 AM
fantom
Racer

Received 106 Likes on 80 Posts

I prefer the two way seats primarily because they are faster and easier to slide back for ease of egress. Fewer motors, lighter and less complex are a plus.
Old 03-09-2021, 11:52 AM
fbgh2o
Odd Posts
Rennlist Member

Received 51 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by Optical TDI
For many, seats may get not matter. My 996 two way sports seats were fantastic with a lot of lumbar support. However the current sport 2-ways have little lumbar support IMO.

So when I was searching for the used 718, it had to have the 18-ways. Otherwise deal killer. I know the 14-ways have adjustable lumbar too, but the tops don’t fit me well.
This was exactly my experience. I had the two-way manuals on a 996 and they were fine. When I sat in the 718, they lacked lateral and lumbar support. I must confess I love the ability to adjust the 18 ways in small increments as my posture changes over a long trip.

That said, as long as they are Sport seats and not the regular seats, I don't think that it will impact value much.
Old 03-09-2021, 10:09 PM
Dyim
Drifting

Received 1,021 Likes on 545 Posts

You are going to lose more in depreciation in a brand new 992 turbo S than a used 718 IMO.

Don’t worry about it and enjoy your car.
The following 2 users liked this post by Dyim:
AlexCeres (03-10-2021), rasetsu (03-16-2021)

Quick Reply: How badly are full manual seats going to kill me on resale?