Upgrade to my 718 GTS 2.5

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-2022, 10:47 AM
Totoy
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Upgrade to my 718 GTS 2.5

Hello,

I currently drive a PDK 718 GTS 2.5T and am looking for an upgrade.

would just like to ask for you comrades’ opinions.

I simply love driving spiritedly at the mountains and B roads.

i never track my car.

im looking for an upgrade in power and torque while keeping the MR layout.

Are there any choices out there without going to the super car category?

Totoy
Old 03-29-2022, 11:25 AM
TXshaggy
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 3,347 Likes on 1,929 Posts

How much do you have to spend?

How much HP/TQ do you want?

Chevy Corvette meets your criteria.

You could also put a tune on your car, the 718 T4 motors can be boosted quite safely.
The following users liked this post:
Delperrio (04-01-2022)
Old 03-29-2022, 12:54 PM
manifold danger
Three Wheelin'

Received 1,133 Likes on 638 Posts

If you don't like to drive, then yes look at the C8. It's faster in a straight line from a metrics perspective, and I suppose a good value... but will probably disappoint as a driver's car.

If you can get a Z06, that's probably an entirely different proposition...

If you insist on MR, then the only other categories are Lotus or true exotics. Obviously if you've got the cash and don't need to drive it frequently, you can start looking at Huracans/R8s/McLarens. The Emira looks interesting but early reviews suggest it's still a Lotus. For better or for worse... but apparently does offer a step up in refinement compared to an Evora. Still probably going to be lacking on the power/torque front.

Otherwise, the obvious car to consider is a 911. But it's a different experience to a 718, and it's not universally considered an upgrade... and it isn't MR. Like I said- to some, the RR layout in a 911 is a marvel of engineering and the delight of driving one is difficult to articulate. To others, it's not as good as the MR cars that Porsche also makes... I'm kind of in between, personally. I appreciate them both, and honestly don't have a preference. For me, the value, aesthetics with the top down, and naturally aspirated soundtrack are what makes my target Porsche a 718 GTS 4.0. But I will be getting a 992 GTS before I can get a BGTS 4.0, so the ownership experience may change my mind...

Other non-MR cars to possibly consider would be an M2 CS as an outstanding driver's car with tons of usable power/torque out of that tweaked S55 engine. The M2 Comp would work as well but with some compromises (but also about half the cost...). Definitely not MR, but amazing cars worth considering nonetheless.
The following 2 users liked this post by manifold danger:
slilley (03-30-2022), wizee (03-30-2022)
Old 03-29-2022, 10:07 PM
Z3papa
Rennlist Member

Received 100 Likes on 83 Posts

Originally Posted by Totoy
Hello,

I currently drive a PDK 718 GTS 2.5T and am looking for an upgrade.

would just like to ask for you comrades’ opinions.

I simply love driving spiritedly at the mountains and B roads.

i never track my car.

im looking for an upgrade in power and torque while keeping the MR layout.

Are there any choices out there without going to the super car category?

Totoy
Get a tune. For $1300, I'd buy a Softronic tune which is 65hp /65# torque and is reversible. You'll feel that and still own a car you love.
Old 03-30-2022, 02:23 PM
wizee
Rennlist Member

Received 823 Likes on 452 Posts

Originally Posted by manifold danger
If you don't like to drive, then yes look at the C8. It's faster in a straight line from a metrics perspective, and I suppose a good value... but will probably disappoint as a driver's car.

If you can get a Z06, that's probably an entirely different proposition...

If you insist on MR, then the only other categories are Lotus or true exotics. Obviously if you've got the cash and don't need to drive it frequently, you can start looking at Huracans/R8s/McLarens. The Emira looks interesting but early reviews suggest it's still a Lotus. For better or for worse... but apparently does offer a step up in refinement compared to an Evora. Still probably going to be lacking on the power/torque front.

Otherwise, the obvious car to consider is a 911. But it's a different experience to a 718, and it's not universally considered an upgrade... and it isn't MR. Like I said- to some, the RR layout in a 911 is a marvel of engineering and the delight of driving one is difficult to articulate. To others, it's not as good as the MR cars that Porsche also makes... I'm kind of in between, personally. I appreciate them both, and honestly don't have a preference. For me, the value, aesthetics with the top down, and naturally aspirated soundtrack are what makes my target Porsche a 718 GTS 4.0. But I will be getting a 992 GTS before I can get a BGTS 4.0, so the ownership experience may change my mind...

Other non-MR cars to possibly consider would be an M2 CS as an outstanding driver's car with tons of usable power/torque out of that tweaked S55 engine. The M2 Comp would work as well but with some compromises (but also about half the cost...). Definitely not MR, but amazing cars worth considering nonetheless.
Agreed. The 4.0L 718 models have a bit more power at high RPM, but no more torque, and have less potential for power and torque gains through tuning.

If you want to stick with rear-mid engine cars, C8 Z06 is probably the best step up for more power at an affordable non-supercar price, while retaining sharp handling (though in a very large car). The regular C8 would be a rather modest upgrade in straight line performance (eg. their quarter mile trap speed is just 122 mph, vs. 121 mph for a PDK 718 GT4 and 117 mph for a PDK 2.5L GTS), and perhaps a downgrade in agility and chassis feel. The current generation R8 is also a good step up in acceleration (and sound), but again a bigger, heavier, and softer car.

The Porsche 911 S/GTS/Turbo and AMG GT S/C/R are also good options if you'd be open to considering rear engine or front-mid engine cars. A 991.2 or 992 would feel more similar to your 718 than any of the other options would. I enjoyed my 2017 AMG GT S greatly when I had it.

Beyond those, you have the standard entry level mid engine supercars: Huracan, 570S, and the 458/488/F8.

Finally, with a tune, you can get straight line performance comparable to a regular C8 or GT4 at minimal cost staying with your current car.

Last edited by wizee; 03-30-2022 at 02:25 PM.
Old 03-31-2022, 04:43 PM
NCThirteen
Advanced

Received 16 Likes on 8 Posts

I had the chance to drive the new C8 and the Cayman GT4 back to back on a track a couple weeks ago. The C8 has that V8 power, but the fun to drive hands down was the cayman. If you are looking for a straight line car the C8 is probably what you should go for. If you want something that is fun to drive get the tune for your GTS and keep it.
Old 03-31-2022, 06:05 PM
AviBen
Rennlist Member

Received 152 Likes on 76 Posts

I highly recommend the APR Stage 1 tune. I got it for my GTS 2.5 and loved it. It won't make your Boxster a supercar, but it will spice it up significantly.
Old 04-02-2022, 09:56 PM
OldJedi
Burning Brakes

Received 565 Likes on 283 Posts

Originally Posted by AviBen
I highly recommend the APR Stage 1 tune. I got it for my GTS 2.5 and loved it. It won't make your Boxster a supercar, but it will spice it up significantly.
AviBen, what are the three biggest differences you found with the APR tune? Did you notice a gas mileage difference after the tune? Thanks
Old 04-02-2022, 10:15 PM
AviBen
Rennlist Member

I didn't pay much attention to the gas mileage, and didn't care; however, because you need to be in Sport mode to get the benefit of the APR tune, I assume it reduced the gas mileage a little as compared with normal mode. Since I always drove in Sport mode anyway, that didn't matter to me one bit. There were two benefits of the tune -- a noticeable perceived increase in power and acceleration, and, as I recall, it eliminated the necessity of my turning off auto-stop-start every time I started it up.

Last edited by AviBen; 04-02-2022 at 10:16 PM.
The following users liked this post:
suffer (04-04-2022)
Old 04-02-2022, 11:10 PM
Carrera-T
Rennlist Member

Received 514 Likes on 226 Posts

See if you can get one of these. They look great for the money.

https://www.lotuscars.com/en-US/emira/
Old 04-03-2022, 03:26 AM
Optical TDI
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I didn't pay much attention to the gas mileage, and didn't care; however, because you need to be in Sport mode to get the benefit of the APR tune, I assume it reduced the gas mileage a little as compared with normal mode. Since I always drove in Sport mode anyway, that didn't matter to me one bit. There were two benefits of the tune -- a noticeable perceived increase in power and acceleration, and, as I recall, it eliminated the necessity of my turning off auto-stop-start every time I started it up.
I 2nd APR (other another) tune!! I have it on my base and it has the HP output of the stock 2.5 GTS, with a little more TQ. There is a bump in both in normal mode and a much higher bump in sport mode. And it definitely disables the silly (imo) start - stop feature. Gas mileage: I’m in the camp of AviBen - don’t know / don’t care if it’s better or worse.
Old 04-03-2022, 09:55 AM
OldJedi
Burning Brakes

Received 565 Likes on 283 Posts

Originally Posted by Optical TDI
I 2nd APR (other another) tune!! I have it on my base and it has the HP output of the stock 2.5 GTS, with a little more TQ. There is a bump in both in normal mode and a much higher bump in sport mode. And it definitely disables the silly (imo) start - stop feature. Gas mileage: I’m in the camp of AviBen - don’t know / don’t care if it’s better or worse.
Thanks, I keep wondering if I should bite the bullet and get the tune. Thanks for letting me know that you have no regrets afterwards.
Old 04-03-2022, 10:03 PM
gobble
Racer

Received 39 Likes on 22 Posts

Be careful what you wish for. After 3 years of 458 ownership and about 10 years of Ferrari ownership I'm taking delivery of a new manual transmission Cayman S this week.

The Ferrari was a fabulous car, but buying it with only 2,800 miles on it I found myself averaging 250 miles per year to keep it a collectible. In hindsight that's stupid. I won't have a second thought about taking the Porsche anywhere and putting miles on it. It's a huge downgrade from the Ferrari but I think will be more fun to own.
Old 04-03-2022, 10:29 PM
AviBen
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by gobble
Be careful what you wish for. After 3 years of 458 ownership and about 10 years of Ferrari ownership I'm taking delivery of a new manual transmission Cayman S this week.

The Ferrari was a fabulous car, but buying it with only 2,800 miles on it I found myself averaging 250 miles per year to keep it a collectible. In hindsight that's stupid. I won't have a second thought about taking the Porsche anywhere and putting miles on it. It's a huge downgrade from the Ferrari but I think will be more fun to own.
I couldn't agree more; life is too short to forego the pleasure of driving a great car. My 2018 911 Turbo S has over 18,000 miles on it in a little under 4 years of ownership. My 2021 Spyder has almost 11,000 miles on it in 16 months of ownership. Like many if not most folks on the forum, I buy them to drive them, not as investments. If they hold their value, then that's gravy.

Quick Reply: Upgrade to my 718 GTS 2.5