Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

718 carfax seems unusual thought?

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-2023, 11:44 AM
mtbrdad
Intermediate

Received 10 Likes on 4 Posts
Default 718 carfax seems unusual thought?

So I'm looking at a 718 s with 23k miles on it and here's part of what the carfax shows, it seems unusual to me with no oil change listed until a little over 16k miles. It's not at a Porsche dealer now, but at some point around 16k miles it was CPO'd by a Porsche dealer in Indiana. What are your thoughts on this?

Old 03-30-2023, 12:42 PM
ldamelio
Rennlist Member

Received 896 Likes on 482 Posts

Yes, it's unusual. USA service interval for oil is one year/10k miles. I believe the UK interval is 20k for some reason. If car has just been street driven, it's probably OK. Probably just a cheapo lessee skimping on maintenance. If tracked, all bets are off.

Other possibilities are that it was serviced at an indy that doesn't keep records or by the lessee him/herself (although oil change is fairly involved compared to most cars).

Does the CPO roll over to you? That would also be reassuring.

If you're buying it, I would NOT have the Dodge dealer do the oil service. Looks like it also needs the 4 year service (plugs, etc.) and a brake flush. Also check the pads, I'd try to negotiate for this (start at about $1500 or $2000 if you need pads) and have it done at a dealer or good Porsche indy.

Last edited by ldamelio; 03-30-2023 at 12:45 PM.
Old 03-30-2023, 01:12 PM
mtbrdad
Intermediate

Originally Posted by ldamelio
Yes, it's unusual. USA service interval for oil is one year/10k miles. I believe the UK interval is 20k for some reason. If car has just been street driven, it's probably OK. Probably just a cheapo lessee skimping on maintenance. If tracked, all bets are off.

Other possibilities are that it was serviced at an indy that doesn't keep records or by the lessee him/herself (although oil change is fairly involved compared to most cars).

Does the CPO roll over to you? That would also be reassuring.

If you're buying it, I would NOT have the Dodge dealer do the oil service. Looks like it also needs the 4 year service (plugs, etc.) and a brake flush. Also check the pads, I'd try to negotiate for this (start at about $1500 or $2000 if you need pads) and have it done at a dealer or good Porsche indy.
Great thanks, good idea on the 4 year service interval. I just have a hard time imagining anyone not having the car at the dealer for it's first oil change and check.
Old 03-30-2023, 01:24 PM
LehmanZ06
Pro

Received 96 Likes on 60 Posts

Originally Posted by mtbrdad
Great thanks, good idea on the 4 year service interval. I just have a hard time imagining anyone not having the car at the dealer for its first oil change and check.
IT’S FREE !
Old 03-30-2023, 03:46 PM
worf928
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1,543 Likes on 1,007 Posts

Carfax can’t tell you the whole story. DIY service will not show up on carfax. Indy service might or might not.
Old 03-31-2023, 10:33 AM
Dream911
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

This would definitely need a good PPI(prior purchase inspection) from top to bottom by a reputable Porsche dealer or Indy.
Old 03-31-2023, 12:19 PM
nineball
Pro

Received 292 Likes on 204 Posts

Originally Posted by LehmanZ06
IT’S FREE !
not in 2018 it wasn't....
Old 03-31-2023, 02:31 PM
mtbrdad
Intermediate

Thanks guys. Seems like the case is closed at this point. I was heading out of my house to see the car last night and the dealer calls and said the car wasn't there anymore, and that's all they could tell me. No big deal to me as I was debating wether I should go for a PDK or manual, this car was a PDK and I've never driven one, since my gut tells me I'd regret not getting a manual that's what I'll need to keep looking for. Either a nice S or GTS if/when I can find one. Thanks for your inputs, the search continues.
Old 03-31-2023, 02:56 PM
Z3papa
Rennlist Member

Received 100 Likes on 83 Posts

I bought a 2018 GTS with CPO with a Carfax report showing all the details of service up to the sale as complete. At the first service visit after taking ownership, the local dealer said they had no records of service and was requiring three years of catch up service to be completed for the car to be "certified" in what was a painfully long 4 hour service visit. Because I had brought my laptop to do remote work, I pulled up the carfax report from the sales listing which showed all my records and asked them to take steps to actively pull them into their system. Next trip, same result. A few months ago, I get barranged by Carfax stating I am overdue for service even though I wasn't. Took care of service a month early, and received a carfax report stating I'm still overdue. I now put much less credence on those reports. So -- no not unusual from my standpoint.
The following users liked this post:
mtbrdad (03-31-2023)

Quick Reply: 718 carfax seems unusual thought?