Notices
718 Forum 982 (718) 2016-Current Discussions about 718 Boxster Cayman Variants
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Question for owners of PDK equipped cars...

Search this Thread

Old 06-07-2023, 08:15 AM
Jet Jockey
Pro

Received 243 Likes on 138 Posts
Default Question for owners of PDK equipped cars...

I have a 2018 GTS with the PDK gearbox...

Once in a while when coming to a full stop (like at a traffic light), the car starts to buck/shudder ever so slightly as if the car wasn't fully in neutral if you know what I mean.

As anyone ever experienced this?

I have reported this to my dealer but of course the symptoms don't show up as a fault in the ecu or are never duplicated on a road test.

Also, just out of curiosity, do all PDK equipped cars go into neutral when you pull back on both paddles at the same time?

TIA

Last edited by Jet Jockey; 06-07-2023 at 08:44 AM.
Old 06-07-2023, 10:29 AM
ldamelio
Rennlist Member

Received 896 Likes on 482 Posts

Yes to occasional buck/shudder when stopping. I've had it since new (almost 6 years) and never thought about it as a problem.

I can't speak for all PDK cars, but the paddle pull to neutral is universal on the 718 line.
Old 06-07-2023, 10:32 AM
Jet Jockey
Pro

Originally Posted by ldamelio
Yes to occasional buck/shudder when stopping. I've had it since new (almost 6 years) and never thought about it as a problem.

I can't speak for all PDK cars, but the paddle pull to neutral is universal on the 718 line.

Ok thank you.
Old 06-07-2023, 01:42 PM
Xxyion
Three Wheelin'

Received 1,096 Likes on 596 Posts

This is something that almost completely inherent in DCT transmissions. It appears more or less depending on the type but ive noticed it in all. My Veloster N and girlfriends GTI did it, and my friends M4 does it and the GT4 does it (but to much less of a degree).

And like above, pulling both paddles should put the car into neutral.
The following users liked this post:
lucycan (06-08-2023)
Old 06-07-2023, 02:06 PM
Jet Jockey
Pro

Originally Posted by Xxyion
This is something that almost completely inherent in DCT transmissions. It appears more or less depending on the type but ive noticed it in all. My Veloster N and girlfriends GTI did it, and my friends M4 does it and the GT4 does it (but to much less of a degree).

And like above, pulling both paddles should put the car into neutral.
Never had that happen in four years of driving my B9 A4 but thanks for the info.

Last edited by Jet Jockey; 06-07-2023 at 03:45 PM.
Old 06-07-2023, 03:30 PM
t-design
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 250 Likes on 164 Posts

My BMW M2's DCT doesn't do it... Also pulling both paddles does nothing (unfortunately) the only way to go to neutral is to put the gearshift into neutral.
Cupdholders, Sunglass Holsters and more at T-Design9.com

Old 06-07-2023, 03:47 PM
Jet Jockey
Pro

Originally Posted by t-design
My BMW M2's DCT doesn't do it... Also pulling both paddles does nothing (unfortunately) the only way to go to neutral is to put the gearshift into neutral.
Yes my GTS does go into neutral when both paddles are pulled at the same time… I had heard from other Cayman owners that their cars did not do it or they were unaware of this feature.
Old 06-08-2023, 10:38 AM
Dream911
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Jet Jockey
I have a 2018 GTS with the PDK gearbox...

Once in a while when coming to a full stop (like at a traffic light), the car starts to buck/shudder ever so slightly as if the car wasn't fully in neutral if you know what I mean.

As anyone ever experienced this?

I have reported this to my dealer but of course the symptoms don't show up as a fault in the ecu or are never duplicated on a road test.

Also, just out of curiosity, do all PDK equipped cars go into neutral when you pull back on both paddles at the same time?

TIA
I only experience the buck/shudder when in reverse. Yes, when pulling both paddles at the same time it goes into neutral
Old 06-08-2023, 01:38 PM
Xxyion
Three Wheelin'

Received 1,096 Likes on 596 Posts

Originally Posted by Jet Jockey
Never had that happen in four years of driving my B9 A4 but thanks for the info.
You know what i misread your original post. I thought you were saying coming from a stop, not coming to a stop. I have not noticed this in any of our cars coming to a stop. Start from a stop in low speeds (like a parking lot) we get a slight bit of hesitation of sometimes shuddering (most noticeable in the GTI) but coming to a stop from speed we havnt really noticed much of this if at all.
Old 06-08-2023, 06:41 PM
lucycan
Rennlist Member

Received 478 Likes on 227 Posts

All the DCTs I have owned exhibit this behavior.

Quick Reply: Question for owners of PDK equipped cars...