Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Squirrelly behavior on hard street turns

Search this Thread

Old 09-01-2023, 10:17 AM
Patrick3000
Rennlist Member

Received 442 Likes on 244 Posts

Tire compound can and does make a big difference in traction. What tires did your car come with?
Old 09-01-2023, 12:48 PM
bgsntth
Racer

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

I can share my experiences with my 718 base. One of my favorite local mountain roads has many first-gear turns with hard acceleration out of each turn. With stability control "on" the rear stays planted, but acceleration is significantly hampered - no fun. Turning stability control off results in the rear stepping out a tiny bit, initially, followed quickly by the inner tire spinning until I straighten out. More fun, but still annoying. I have yet to identify LSD options for base Cayman's with a manual transmission.
Old 09-01-2023, 01:51 PM
ldamelio
Rennlist Member

Received 896 Likes on 482 Posts

Originally Posted by sgreer78
Talent.
Phrased a little more succinctly than politeness would suggest, but likely true. I've been in the right side of a stockish 718 base driven by one of the instructors in my PCA region driving at 9/10 at NJMP Lightning running 1:17 laps with the car dancing the whole time. There's nothing you're doing on the street that would remotely approach this. The torque comes on at low rpm in these cars and can be somewhat abrupt. Asuptordorne described this well in post 5 of this thread. You only have 3000 miles on your car. It takes some time driving it closer to the limit to learn how to smooth it out. Not picking a fight, but I would lay off the acorns ;}

Other points: if it is TC kicking in, you will catch the flashing yellow light on the dash in your peripheral vision. My car (an S) lets me know when it has saved my *** on the track several times every event.

Your car can be out of alignment even though rarely driven and relatively new. Mine came significantly out of alignment from the dealer. I didn't realize it for a couple of years until I started tracking and learned a lot more about suspension setup. Next time I buy a new P car, I will ask for an alignment check before delivery. You should probably get your alignment checked at your convenience, but even if moderately off, it's not causing your problem.

Last edited by ldamelio; 09-01-2023 at 01:56 PM.
The following users liked this post:
AviBen (09-03-2023)
Old 09-01-2023, 07:55 PM
reacp911
Burning Brakes

Received 345 Likes on 221 Posts

Originally Posted by Patrick3000
Tire compound can and does make a big difference in traction. What tires did your car come with?
standard size pirelli p zeros. Stock summer tires
Old 09-01-2023, 08:08 PM
reacp911
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by ldamelio
Phrased a little more succinctly than politeness would suggest, but likely true. .
You don't know anything about my driving history. Geez, suggest that porsche may not have perfect behaviour in all circumstances and some of you go into trump mode.

Anyway, I have DE'd this car at mosport in wet and dry and not noticed any unusual behaviour. I'm used to high powered cars and motorcycles.

Slightly non-perfect behaviour happens when powering out past the apex in normal right and left city turns at what I would consider moderate speeds.

I will do a quick check of the toe-in, tho, and try it without traction control on.

Save your snarky comments for twitter(x)
Old 09-02-2023, 08:14 AM
Patrick3000
Rennlist Member

Received 442 Likes on 244 Posts

Originally Posted by reacp911
standard size pirelli p zeros. Stock summer tires
This is likely your problem.

IMHO, these tires are not the best.

Michelin PS2’s or Cup 2’s will give you much better grip at the expense of comfort and longevity 👍
The following 2 users liked this post by Patrick3000:
nineball (09-06-2023), reacp911 (09-02-2023)
Old 09-02-2023, 08:36 AM
LehmanZ06
Pro

Received 96 Likes on 60 Posts

The problem is very obviously the radio. The car oversteers if the treble is adjusted too high.
It’s a common problem with Caymans.
The following 3 users liked this post by LehmanZ06:
AviBen (09-03-2023), ldamelio (09-02-2023), Pavegeno928 (09-02-2023)
Old 09-02-2023, 01:29 PM
ldamelio
Rennlist Member

Received 896 Likes on 482 Posts

Originally Posted by LehmanZ06
The problem is very obviously the radio. The car oversteers if the treble is adjusted too high.
It’s a common problem with Caymans.

Don't provoke him. He'll start making wildly inaccurate suppositions about your politics and worldview.
Old 09-03-2023, 12:15 AM
Traum
Track Day

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

When powering thu turns around town I sometimes get a slightly squirrelly feel as if the car is losing traction on one wheel. I expected a more planted feel.

What option did I forget to spec? Base 718 boxster
To get a good understanding of what is going on, I'd say you'll need to provide a much fuller picture of what is happening. Without that, it is really difficult to to make any educated guesses since there could be so many factors at play.

Did this happen before / at / or after the apex?
How much throttle were you applying at the time?
Which wheel was it that felt like it was losing traction?
What were the road conditions like? wet/dry? ambient temp?
What was your alignment setting?

You've already mentioned that you were on the stock Pirelli P Zero. IMO, they would at least be a contributing factor to the behaviour -- potentially a major one too -- because they are really rather mediocre.
Old 09-03-2023, 12:20 AM
Bob Z.
Rennlist Member

Received 3,366 Likes on 2,309 Posts

The Pirelli tires are not as bad as some here say, especially when new, so even if the OP has them I do not see them being the reason. And if you want to take it further, what PSI were the tires set at? This issue is not going to be solved here; however, I still think that all is well and the traction control is kicking in...I had my car out tonight and I can imagine what the OP has experienced (with Michelin tires).
Old 09-03-2023, 11:54 AM
reacp911
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Traum
To get a good understanding of what is going on, I'd say you'll need to provide a much fuller picture of what is happening. Without that, it is really difficult to to make any educated guesses since there could be so many factors at play.

Did this happen before / at / or after the apex?
How much throttle were you applying at the time?
Which wheel was it that felt like it was losing traction?
What were the road conditions like? wet/dry? ambient temp?
What was your alignment setting?

You've already mentioned that you were on the stock Pirelli P Zero. IMO, they would at least be a contributing factor to the behaviour -- potentially a major one too -- because they are really rather mediocre.
basically it's just applying medium power at or just before the apex of a normal left hand drive intersection. I've been unable to duplicate it recently, but the temperatures are higher, perhaps a clue.

I've never had a car that had a "sophisticated" stability control system, so I likely don't know what it feels like when it's about to let go. I've also never had a relatively high powered car that didn't have LSD. I've also never spun unintentionally on the street or track so I'm pretty conservative.

Perhaps I have been premature in posting this before I've had much more experience in the car. It has 5200 km on the clock right now.
Old 09-03-2023, 12:02 PM
asuptardorne
Instructor

Received 37 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by sgreer78
Talent.
There is a respectful way to communicate that it might be a technique issue, I hope that is what I did. Neither of us know the OP or their experience and skill level. There is an opportunity for you to elevate how you interact with others. Would you say it that way to the OP in person at an HDPE event? If not why say it here?

RE people suggesting alignment. That's kind of interesting. I definitely had what the OP talked about before I replaced the OE Yoko's where applying even a little power in a turn would quickly lead to squirrelly behavior and that was much improved after my first tire replacement and alignment. I got lucky and feel like I got an excellent street alignment from the dealer because I could feel the improvement immediately and I don't think it was just the tires. Hard to say what the original tires would have been like with just an alignment because it feels like they got a lot worse from new, but how I drove the car also evolved a lot since I got it so it wouldn't be surprising if I was acclimating to having more power and trying to use it more.

Now I can put down some power to get the car to pull through a turn. It's more useful in street driving where you might enter turns much slower than you need to in order to feel out the situation or just so you can power out for fun.

Alignment seems to be something many manufacturers phone in which considering the insane precision of the rest of the manufacturing process is a shame.

Last edited by asuptardorne; 09-04-2023 at 10:57 AM.
reacp911 (09-03-2023)
Old 09-05-2023, 08:30 PM
Traum
Track Day

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

basically it's just applying medium power at or just before the apex of a normal left hand drive intersection. I've been unable to duplicate it recently, but the temperatures are higher, perhaps a clue.
Medium power application + at or just before apex + cooler temperatures sound like a plausible combo to the loose rear end. Again, I'd still assign part of the blame to the P Zeros as well, since I am really not a fan of them LOL~
reacp911 (09-05-2023)
Old 09-05-2023, 08:44 PM
hbarradah
Track Day

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts

The P Zeros on the GTS lost tractation regularly on turns with medium power application when it was cooler in Boston (even upper 60s). SInce it has warmed up, and I fixed the toe/alignment, this hasn’t happened again. Not sure how much is the tires vs toe, but braking hard even when warmed up on the track was a scary experience before I fixed the toe issues. From my experience the PS4S handled the cooler weather better than the P Zeros, but I don’t feel that drastic difference mid 70s and up.
reacp911 (09-05-2023)
Old 09-06-2023, 11:27 AM
nineball
Pro

Received 292 Likes on 204 Posts

Originally Posted by Patrick3000
This is likely your problem.

IMHO, these tires are not the best.

Michelin PS2’s or Cup 2’s will give you much better grip at the expense of comfort and longevity 👍

i completely agree. every set of pzero tires i have ever ran were crap

Quick Reply: Squirrelly behavior on hard street turns