Notices
718 Forum 982 (718) 2016-Current Discussions about 718 Boxster Cayman Variants
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

718 Boxster Base: Bose, LED/Bi-Xenon, Smartphone compartment and Nav -- worth it?

Search this Thread

Old 09-07-2023, 05:37 PM
Pedal Wench
AutoX

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default 718 Boxster Base: Bose, LED/Bi-Xenon, Smartphone compartment and Nav -- worth it?

Getting close to the freeze date on a 6-speed Boxster base model. Things I'm unsure about and wondering if they're worth it:
Bose vs. standard - pretty sure I want Bose - more speakers, power, etc., but on a noisy car, will it even be distinguishable? Anyone have Bose on either 718 and hate it? I can't get to any dealer with one in stock to audition the sound system.
Nav - I know it's obsolete even before it arrives, but how good is the image, how are the voice prompts, etc.? It's an expensive option, and I don't have it/don't miss it on my 2015 Boxster, so not sure if I need it now. Also, if I get the Smartphone compartment, do I lose the USB port in the glove box? It's unclear on the spec. If I get Nav, I might get the Smartphone compartment since I won't need my phone for Waze. Edit to add, Android user, so also curious about what Porsche Connect offers....
Lights: it comes standard with Bi-Xenon, and I really appreciate brighter lights. I live in an area with lots of deer, and want to see them as much as possible.

Last edited by Pedal Wench; 09-07-2023 at 08:55 PM.
Old 09-07-2023, 08:48 PM
reacp911
Burning Brakes

Received 345 Likes on 221 Posts

Apple Carplay has google maps. Works wonderfully. I use the usb port in the console compartment. Unfortunately, you have to buy an iphone, which I did. So far I have found the iphone inferior to android. Perhaps this would not be the case for Mac users
Old 09-07-2023, 10:13 PM
rasetsu
Three Wheelin'

Received 685 Likes on 422 Posts

Originally Posted by reacp911
Unfortunately, you have to buy an iphone, which I did.
There are low cost aftermarket solutions available ranging from plug and play dongles to software patching the PCM unit to activate the Android Auto capability already built in.
Old 09-08-2023, 09:23 AM
reacp911
Burning Brakes

Here's what's involved. Who wants to hack their brand new, under warranty car

Old 09-08-2023, 09:58 AM
TXshaggy
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 3,346 Likes on 1,928 Posts

Bose, yes. Check the technical specs between base and Bose. Bose gives you 4 extra speakers incl dedicated built in subwoofer. Bose has dedicated amp, base is minimally powered by a card in the PCM. Buy a base if you are replacing the entire system. Much easier to tweak a Bose system with its underlying architecture than the base.

Don't get the smartphone compartment; it's useless.

Drive at night? Deer? Yes get the best lights.
Old 09-08-2023, 10:42 AM
rasetsu
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by reacp911
Here's what's involved. Who wants to hack their brand new, under warranty car

No, it's not like that anymore at all.
It's a software patch via SD card and wifi connection.
https://rennlist.com/forums/porsche-...tnz-com-2.html
Or you can buy one of these https://amzn.to/3PtaI24

Last edited by rasetsu; 09-08-2023 at 11:07 AM.
The following users liked this post:
Traum (09-08-2023)
Old 09-08-2023, 01:14 PM
Pedal Wench
AutoX

Thanks! To do the Android hack, do I still need to add Nav to get Porsche connect, or will the hack replace all of that?
So are the LED's the better light? On my build, it comes with Bi-Xenon, but essentially the same price to add LED or the Bi-Xenon with black surrounds. LED is the best?
Old 09-08-2023, 01:56 PM
rasetsu
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Pedal Wench
Thanks! To do the Android hack, do I still need to add Nav to get Porsche connect, or will the hack replace all of that?
So are the LED's the better light? On my build, it comes with Bi-Xenon, but essentially the same price to add LED or the Bi-Xenon with black surrounds. LED is the best?
Neither the software patch nor the dongle requires factory nav or Porsche Connect. It won't replace Porsche Connect because there's a SIM card hardware component to that but Porsche Connect functionality is very limited on PCM 4.0 anyways. Your phone's navigation app would be the navigation function.

Yes, LEDs provide the best light output.
Old 09-08-2023, 02:32 PM
Traum
Track Day

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

For Nav, there is no need to purchase the option since the following (free) DIY mod exists:

https://www.718forum.com/threads/and...-4#post-282432

You basically just need an SD card and nothing else, and it can be done. Apparently it also comes with Android Auto.

As far as base audio (Porsche Sound Package Plus) vs Bose is concerned, I feel like my Cayman's cabin isn't all that quiet to begin with -- a good amount of mechanical noise already comes through the car, and esp from the back. The SPP's sound quality is nothing to write home about, esp in terms of clarity and fidelity, but in my brief moments of listening to a Cayman's BOSE system, I feel like whatever improvements the BOSE system has over SPP, it gets drowned out by the in-cabin noise.

Now, the Burmester system is a whole different story. I've never listened to it in a Cayman, but in a Macan, it is a very high quality system that the former hi-fi aficionado in me really appreciated. But again in the Cayman, I am not sure how much the higher sound quality will be compromised by the higher in-cabin noise.

Bear in mind that the in-cabin noise between a Cayman and a Boxster are a little different. I'd expect the Cayman to be a little more boomy since more sound / vibrations should be trapped in the cabin by the (rear) hatch, and of course if the Boxster's top is down, the sound stage is just completely different.
Old 09-08-2023, 03:41 PM
reacp911
Burning Brakes

I wonder how many people are going to plan to hack their (relatively) expensive car before they even have it
Old 09-08-2023, 05:22 PM
Pedal Wench
AutoX

@Traum thanks for that write-up. I worked in auto audio tuning, and have experienced truly amazing Burmester systems. But as you point out, the amount of (good!) engine noise might mask any improvements the Bose offers, so that was why I asked. Sitting in the driveway, I'm sure the Bose blows away SPP, but on the road, I imagine it gets less obvious. Thanks. When I was ordering my '15 Boxster, I did audition all three systems and the Burmester was incredibly better in the dealership, but on the road, I couldn't justify the upcharge.

I'm leaning towards planning the hack and leaving off nav and Porsche Connect, and going with LED and Bose.

Thanks for all the advice and input!

Last edited by Pedal Wench; 09-08-2023 at 05:27 PM.
Traum (09-08-2023)
Old 09-08-2023, 09:06 PM
umdrum
4th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Pedal Wench
Getting close to the freeze date on a 6-speed Boxster base model. Things I'm unsure about and wondering if they're worth it:
Bose vs. standard - pretty sure I want Bose - more speakers, power, etc., but on a noisy car, will it even be distinguishable? Anyone have Bose on either 718 and hate it? I can't get to any dealer with one in stock to audition the sound system.
Nav - I know it's obsolete even before it arrives, but how good is the image, how are the voice prompts, etc.? It's an expensive option, and I don't have it/don't miss it on my 2015 Boxster, so not sure if I need it now. Also, if I get the Smartphone compartment, do I lose the USB port in the glove box? It's unclear on the spec. If I get Nav, I might get the Smartphone compartment since I won't need my phone for Waze. Edit to add, Android user, so also curious about what Porsche Connect offers....
Lights: it comes standard with Bi-Xenon, and I really appreciate brighter lights. I live in an area with lots of deer, and want to see them as much as possible.
Speakers - I am really into sound/music but didn't want to pay for the Burmeister since I figure I listen to the engine noise and talk radio at least half the time, but couldn't let myself go with the base version.
Nav - personally would never purchase on a new vehicle if you own a smart phone. If you have android, as others have pointed out, there are solutions. I was told by my sales rep the USB ports still exist as standard in glove box and center console. I don't think the smartphone compartment charges the phone wirelessly (that would have been the only reason I'd have purchased the option -- I did not.)
Lights - to me it came down primarily to looks, with a preference for LED regardless. I love the aesthetics of the PDLS LED lights vs. bi-xenon. At one point during researching/ordering, it was unclear if the LED lights were available in stock due to supply chain issues. I would have been very disappointed to not have them, but would not have been a deal breaker. Otherwise to me they are a must-have. There is a Nick Murray YouTube video you can search for which shows the difference in brightness between bi-xenon and LED.
Old 09-08-2023, 11:25 PM
LehmanZ06
Pro

Received 96 Likes on 60 Posts

I’ve had both, base lights and the fancy led’s

GET THE LED’s !
Old 09-09-2023, 10:32 AM
nineball
Pro

Received 292 Likes on 204 Posts

bose is a waste of money. the slight improvement over the base system is just not worth the cost.

reacp911 (09-09-2023)
Old 09-09-2023, 02:52 PM
Pedal Wench
AutoX

Originally Posted by nineball
bose is a waste of money. the slight improvement over the base system is just not worth the cost.
Thanks. Without being able to audition on the current system, I appreciate the advice.

And to make sure I understand this completely, I can hack and access Android Auto on a MY 2024 718? I would hate to discover that they've removed it from the hidden software.

Quick Reply: 718 Boxster Base: Bose, LED/Bi-Xenon, Smartphone compartment and Nav -- worth it?