Originally Posted by Alan Smithee
924 Turbo, 944 Turbo...
Dang it. I forgot the water pumper.
Old 12-11-2015, 11:46 AM
spyderphile
Three Wheelin'

Received 99 Likes on 79 Posts

Originally Posted by Phil G.
Don't know, but with the new nomenclature, those trunk lids are going to be loaded with very busy badge logos. Porsche will have to add "IF YOU CAN READ THIS YOU'RE TOO CLOSE" which of course, will just add more script (and which they'll likely charge for). I pray there will always be a "logo delete" option.
That's why you have 'model delete'; and, the rest are glued-in with adhesive. So, you can easily peel them off and enjoy a clean look! :-)
Old 12-11-2015, 04:59 PM
bassie81
Racer

Received 62 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by Paul Graville

What we need is other ways of NA engines artificially getting round the emissions tests..... Low performing ECU maps that can be overridden .......
The germans have already experimented with these sort of techniques on diesel engines....
Old 12-11-2015, 05:08 PM
GreenLantern
Rennlist Member

Received 19 Likes on 11 Posts

Instead of workarounds to the emissions tests, why not focus on making engines cleaner?

Sadly, turbocharging is one option. This is the price of progress.

We need to deal with it, and contribute if we have expertise.

I, for one, will forever cherish my N/A collectibles. But, I welcome more powerful, different kinds of cars... and as someone who daily drove a 997.1 GT2 for over 10k miles, I'm perfectly at peace with turbocharging.
Old 12-11-2015, 06:38 PM
MUSSBERGER
uninformed gas bag
(contemplating on whether gas bag is one or two words)
Rennlist Member

Received 171 Likes on 125 Posts

What's it going to weigh?
Old 12-11-2015, 06:45 PM
jeanrabelais
Rennlist Member

Received 163 Likes on 94 Posts

Originally Posted by GreenLantern
Instead of workarounds to the emissions tests, why not focus on making engines cleaner?

Sadly, turbocharging is one option. This is the price of progress.

We need to deal with it, and contribute if we have expertise.

I, for one, will forever cherish my N/A collectibles. But, I welcome more powerful, different kinds of cars... and as someone who daily drove a 997.1 GT2 for over 10k miles, I'm perfectly at peace with turbocharging.
Yes those that were paying attention saw this all coming. It was inevitable...every party comes to an end. I'm glad I got my car too. Self-driving cars are also just around the corner as well. Regarding turbos, in shop class back in the 80s, turbos were seen as a mechanism for a more efficient burn and that's the bottom line: efficiency. Things change, evolve. I'm open to seeing what happens - change is exciting to me. But again, I have a Spyder!!!!!!!!!
Old 12-11-2015, 07:50 PM
il pirata
Banned

Received 166 Likes on 104 Posts

Originally Posted by MUSSBERGER
What's it going to weigh?
Before or after Thanksgiving?
Old 12-11-2015, 10:26 PM
zanwar
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I do love the little sewing machine 2.7 six in my Boxster, but truthfully I spent the money for the chassis. The handling of the 981 platform just blew me away. The last time we had a turbo car it was a Mini Cooper S with a stick, and that was a ton of fun. I imagine the 718 will have a fun character all of its own.

I don't think we'll see torque-fill until they can mainstream high voltage electronics into the sports cars. Then I'd want to see a convenient plug on the car as well. Makes sense as many of us are using battery maintainers anyway. Maybe in the 718.2 ?
Old 12-12-2015, 10:51 AM
Kaizman
Intermediate

Received 19 Likes on 6 Posts

I guess we will just have to wait and see once the new versions are out. I am happy I now have the Spyder but I also enjoy the crap out of my STI. The car is a blast to drive and is great in the snow even though the turbo engine by todays standards is old tech.
Old 12-12-2015, 02:58 PM
The New 911
Pro

The Four Cam Gmünd engine's can fetch six figures. But they are a pisser to keep tuned up and running.
Old 12-12-2015, 03:31 PM
GTgears
Nordschleife Master

Received 116 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by The New 911
The Four Cam Gmünd engine's can fetch six figures. But they are a pisser to keep tuned up and running.
That's actually one of those reputations that was gotten without really deserving it. What happened with those engines is they went into street cars that were lolly gagged around in around town traffic. They were short shifted and not often revved up and rapped out.

That engine was a true race homologation special of its day. You have to drive it on the cam in the upper rpm range for it to work right. You don't, and yeah it suffers and needs service.
Old 12-12-2015, 04:00 PM
The New 911
Pro

Originally Posted by navanoD
Next TTRS will be S-tronic only... A manual is a requirement for me. Not sure why you thought 356? That is rear not mid-engined like the 718.
Well earlier they were talking smaller slotted under everything they have now. But the 356 is so revealed they will never bring it back.

I wasn't thinking rear or mid at the time I was running with a migraine. But don't forget Mr Porsche's first tuition was to go Mid Engined with his Prototype 1. Alas it never happened. That and the Speedster was almost named the Continental. Thank you God for Lincoln Intervening with a potential lawsuit for that not happening.

So in the mean time we are just going to wait for the low level four cylinder car to come around. Please no VW part's or engine's. Could be about 600 pounds lighters for the performance nuts. Keep all the options totally limited to cut down on cost. Talking about 4 colors, manual only simple radio, standard performance brakes no PCCB's. Limited interior color options and four way seat's or race bucket's and no sound deadening. Just keep it as simple as possible and use the 718 Model's S motor.

But the Damned CAFE and EURO Pedestrian impact crap can totally throw all the good times out the window.

If the 718 is the cheaper lowest cost Porsche four cylinder Porsche has been espousing about for the past few year's I am calling "SHINANIGANS"!

Call me crazy

Last edited by The New 911; 12-12-2015 at 06:51 PM.
Old 12-13-2015, 12:18 AM
ForceReconTrojan
Burning Brakes

Received 20 Likes on 15 Posts

Are they going to be badged 718's or will the Cayman/Boxster name live on alone...I just see the cars going the way of the modern 911 with 23 letters all over the rear deck lid.
Old 12-13-2015, 12:48 AM
hawc
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Will be badged 718 Cayman and 718 Boxster. Same way current cars are badged 911 Carrera.

Internally they will be known at 981.2
Old 12-13-2015, 02:58 PM
The New 911
Pro

Originally Posted by GTgears
That's actually one of those reputations that was gotten without really deserving it. What happened with those engines is they went into street cars that were lolly gagged around in around town traffic. They were short shifted and not often revved up and rapped out.

That engine was a true race homologation special of its day. You have to drive it on the cam in the upper rpm range for it to work right. You don't, and yeah it suffers and needs service.
I did not know that thank you for the insight!

I heard it could take up to 90 hour's to get the quad cams properly tuned to race. But I heard that on one of those Auction Show's so I know that statement hold's very little water.

How much power were those quad cam's making for the time?

Quick Reply: 718 Boxster and 718 Cayman!!!