Notices
718 GTS 4.0/GT4/GT4RS/Spyder/25th Anniversary Discussions about the 718 version of the GT4RS, GTS 4.0, GT4, Spyder and 25th Anniversary Boxster
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By: Cobb

718 Spyder 1st Sighting... & it looks like a Turbo.

Search this Thread

Old 11-03-2017, 02:54 AM
n4v4nod
Nordschleife Master

Received 1,630 Likes on 899 Posts

Originally Posted by Drifting
GT4 was built by the GT division, the Spyder was not.
GT4 is not built by the GT division... even AP stated that.... it was a developed by the GT division utilizing existing parts borrowed from other GT cars... not designed specifically for the GT4 (minus the rear suspension, wheels and wing) and again... never once said the Spyder was... stop putting words in my mouth.

Last edited by n4v4nod; 11-03-2017 at 03:13 AM.
Old 11-03-2017, 03:41 AM
Drifting
Rennlist Member

Received 1,203 Likes on 640 Posts

Originally Posted by 63A 981510
GT4 is not built by the GT division... even AP stated that.... it was a developed by the GT division utilizing existing parts borrowed from other GT cars... not designed specifically for the GT4 (minus the rear suspension, wheels and wing) and again... never once said the Spyder was... stop putting words in my mouth.
Whatever, are you a lawyer who just enjoys arguing and twisting words for fun?

By your logic the GT3 and RS aren’t built by the GT division either.

What matters is who designed and tested the components of the car, as the GT division designed the GT3, RS, and GT4, but did not design the Spyder.
Old 11-03-2017, 08:57 AM
terbiumactivated
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have an article about the first Spyder and it says right in it that knowledge was borrowed from the GT3 boys, just who do you think told them to save weight with cloth loops for door handles?
Old 11-03-2017, 09:40 AM
blacksheepSpyder
Pro

Received 53 Likes on 29 Posts

Originally Posted by terbiumactivated
I have an article about the first Spyder and it says right in it that knowledge was borrowed from the GT3 boys, just who do you think told them to save weight with cloth loops for door handles?

In the 1960s the 914-6 GT cars had leather pulls to save weight. I am sure this was done in previous Porsche race cars too.

Since I come from the 914-6 GT crowd, I have to say whoever created the 981 spyder did too. This is a factory version of what all the enthusiasts are building. In fact, I know there are several 981 Spyder owners that either used to have a big motor 914-6 GT clone or still do. The most common engine for these guys 85-87 Carrera 3.2 making about 215hp in a car that is 2000 pounds and they put 911 brakes on them front and rear as well as 911 wheels. Sound familiar?
Old 11-03-2017, 11:24 AM
GT3 Techno
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Drifting
Whatever, are you a lawyer who just enjoys arguing and twisting words for fun?

By your logic the GT3 and RS arent built by the GT division either.

What matters is who designed and tested the components of the car, as the GT division designed the GT3, RS, and GT4, but did not design the Spyder.
It's not where the car is build which matters... GT4 is a GT as it has been designed by the Weissach team as the production street car platform for a race car (GT4 Clubsport). The Spyder will never be used as a basis of a futur race car and won't be a GT car indeed.
Old 11-04-2017, 06:04 PM
spyderphile
Three Wheelin'

Received 99 Likes on 79 Posts

................... as this might be the last of the NA Flat 6s... oh wait.... havent I heard that before?
In my crystal ball, there might be some more life left for NA beyond 982/991.2. From many of the discussions in the past on this topic, it was revealed (or speculated) that GT3's 4.0 is highly modular. It would be relatively easier and inexpensive to tweak the power output at a cost point. GT3's engine is likely to meet CO2 regs in 2020. If they can continue to massage it to extract more power, reliably, while meeting regs for a few more years, then at least one more cycle beyond 982/991.2 is quite possible. I am assuming the Spyder gets 4.0; if not, all bets are off!

Of course, market conditions and financial situations besides regulatory implications could tip the scale other way. I am bit optimistic.
Old 11-06-2017, 12:01 AM
n4v4nod
Nordschleife Master

For the people that doubted that the Spyder will have a same Engine as the GT4... latest mule of the GT4 has the same exhaust and diffuser as the latest Spyder Spy Photo:

Old 11-06-2017, 02:04 AM
CAlexio
Race Director

Received 1,963 Likes on 915 Posts

Wish we could see that front spoiler a bit better.. and surprised it doesn’t have side scoops to differentiate it from the regular cayman like the Gt4 did. I️ guess mules always look “meh”... but this looks kinda “meh”
Old 11-06-2017, 02:46 AM
n4v4nod
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by CAlexio
Wish we could see that front spoiler a bit better.. and surprised it doesn t have side scoops to differentiate it from the regular cayman like the Gt4 did. I️ guess mules always look meh ... but this looks kinda meh
I wouldnt read too much into the bumpers and air intakes... looks like they are using some of the 718 GTS as disguise. For the 981 GT4 the scoops were one of the last things added before debut.
Old 11-06-2017, 04:01 PM
skiahh
Rennlist Member

Received 129 Likes on 93 Posts

Originally Posted by GT3 Techno
The Spyder will never be used as a basis of a futur race car and won't be a GT car indeed.
I may be wrong here, but I'd venture to day NO current road car will be the basis of a future race car.

In fact, racing programs are where future cars get their tech from, based on what I've read, not the other way around.

Originally Posted by the_rider
I am assuming the Spyder gets 4.0; if not, all bets are off!
Common understanding is that they can't squeeze that engine into the bay of the 718 platform, so I wouldn't be making any bets on that future....
Old 11-06-2017, 04:10 PM
Archimedes
Race Director

Received 3,858 Likes on 1,902 Posts

I wouldnt read too much into the bumpers and air intakes... looks like they are using some of the 718 GTS as disguise. For the 981 GT4 the scoops were one of the last things added before debut.
Yup, that's just a GTS hood and bumper. Obviously this is GT4 mule, but I wouldn't draw any conclusions about aesthetics from this. My guess is that the front end will look somewhat similar to the new GT3, and the motor will be a 3.8L pushing 425 in the GT4 and 400 in the Spyder. Spyder still manual only, but the GT4 PDK as well. That's what my crystal ball says.
Old 11-06-2017, 07:05 PM
GT3 Techno
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by skiahh
I may be wrong here, but I'd venture to day NO current road car will be the basis of a future race car.

In fact, racing programs are where future cars get their tech from, based on what I've read, not the other way around.
Yes you are...

I'm not referring to the new technologies (race versions of the GT cars have completely different tech except the GT4 Clubsport which has same tranny, etc.). All Cup Cars are developed on the chassis of their street version after they reach a minimum production number for homologation and come from their Weissach design team. The Spyder will never be turned into a race car and thus will never be a GT car because they develop these cars for the purpose of their future racing sport cars.

Last edited by GT3 Techno; 11-06-2017 at 08:19 PM.
Old 11-06-2017, 07:47 PM
BryanCO
Drifting

Received 208 Likes on 148 Posts

Originally Posted by Archimedes
Yup, that's just a GTS hood and bumper. Obviously this is GT4 mule, but I wouldn't draw any conclusions about aesthetics from this. My guess is that the front end will look somewhat similar to the new GT3, and the motor will be a 3.8L pushing 425 in the GT4 and 400 in the Spyder. Spyder still manual only, but the GT4 PDK as well. That's what my crystal ball says.
Agree, this seems most likely. Big assumption is the source for the 3.8...
Old 11-06-2017, 09:11 PM
skiahh
Rennlist Member

Received 129 Likes on 93 Posts

Originally Posted by GT3 Techno
Yes you are...

I'm not referring to the new technologies (race versions of the GT cars have completely different tech except the GT4 Clubsport which has same tranny, etc.). All Cup Cars are developed on the chassis of their street version after they reach a minimum production number for homologation and come from their Weissach design team. The Spyder will never be turned into a race car and thus will never be a GT car because they develop these cars for the purpose of their future racing sport cars.
Ah, OK. Not developing technologies, but building the club racers from current production cars.

Then I agree with you. Do they even build modern racers from convertibles?
Old 11-06-2017, 11:40 PM
jeanrabelais
Rennlist Member

Received 163 Likes on 94 Posts

So the 3.8 is still in production and there are enough to produce 6k cars world wide - Spyder and GT4 Variants?

Is it settled that the GT4 and Spyder are tied together going forward?
Is it settled that this upcoming edition will be the last of the NA versions?

4.0 not an option at all? Just asking.

Quick Reply: 718 Spyder 1st Sighting... & it looks like a Turbo.