Notices
718 GTS 4.0/GT4/GT4RS/Spyder/25th Anniversary Discussions about the 718 version of the GT4RS, GTS 4.0, GT4, Spyder and 25th Anniversary Boxster
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By: Cobb

What seats are everyone getting and why?

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-2020, 01:20 PM
Westcoast
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 4,495 Likes on 2,645 Posts

Originally Posted by the_rider
This is a critical point. I've asked about switching the seats from buckets to Sport Plus with heating. I was told the wiring for heating wouldn't be there when ordering buckets. It sounded like it's a different set of wiring and expensive to switch. If one doesn't want heating, then switching is pretty straightforward.

This is a universal admission. Even the ardent supporters of buckets admit, it's painful to get in and out.

Seat is an extremely subjective variable. More than people realize. What works for someone just wouldn't for others. Body shapes and types are different. I've sat in buckets on the showroom floor numerous times. I felt comfortable (though driving in it for a few hours would give more informed experience). Getting in and out wasn't an issue either (but, I'm lean and agile). I can totally do it. But, biggest caveat would be my partner. How would she feel in a dress and heels? I don't wanna limit myself which car to take for a date that is woman-friendly. So, everyone's variables are different. It is not right or wrong to make a specific choice other than for the fact that what works for YOU.
Seat heating is awesome, love it any vehicle that I have owned, and I completely understand the problem with adding it after the fact, in the Porsche world, simply put, if you want it get at build time... For me I will be driving the Spyder during warmer weather, I will forgo heat for the LWBS.

As for getting in or out, I tried it a few times and didn't find it any worse than my regular seats, then again I am relatively small (5'9") and work out almost daily. As for dates, well my wife frowns on that, something about her half of the car, I don't push the point! Seriously, she will have some difficulty with getting in and out, but graciously said we would figure it out and I should have the seats AP said to get. What a gal!

I have spec'd this car for me, not the most practical exercise but one I worked a long time to get to, so things like deviated stitching, carbon fiber and yes even LWBS are in for the ride that I am looking forward too!
Old 02-19-2020, 02:02 PM
evilfij
SJW, a Carin' kinda guy
Rennlist Member

Received 621 Likes on 433 Posts

Having had this discussion with others, there is no reason to not buy a used 2 way base or sport seat to replace the passenger LWB if that is what the person sitting in it would prefer. Thankfully, my passenger likes LWB (but like other vehicles better), but I can see women in particular having more issues with LWB due to variation in body size and shape.
Old 02-19-2020, 03:27 PM
KenTO
Burning Brakes

Received 522 Likes on 199 Posts

I used to have carbon fibre LWBS in my 458 Italia and found getting in and out was made easier by just putting the seat back as far as it can go when exiting the car. I haven’t tried the seats on the GT4 but would it not work like the 458?
Old 02-19-2020, 08:51 PM
Westcoast
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by KenTO
I used to have carbon fibre LWBS in my 458 Italia and found getting in and out was made easier by just putting the seat back as far as it can go when exiting the car. I haven’t tried the seats on the GT4 but would it not work like the 458?
That should be the case, although I must say one reason I don't even look at the adjustable seats is because I set them once and never change them, not even to get out. About the only time I move them is to vaccum the carpet!
Old 02-19-2020, 11:28 PM
spyderphile
Three Wheelin'

Received 99 Likes on 79 Posts

Originally Posted by Westcoast
............. As for dates, well my wife frowns on that, something about her half of the car, I don't push the point! Seriously, she will have some difficulty with getting in and out, but graciously said we would figure it out and I should have the seats AP said to get. What a gal!
You're a lucky man, Westcoast!! Hold onto her!! :-) I'm thinking very long term! This 982 is likely to be the last new Porsche for me, if the next gen goes electric/hybrid/turbo, which is the likely scenario. I expect to keep both 981 and 982 till the end! Hence, the seat needs to be ripe-old-age-friendly, especially for the wife. When we're fit and able, anything works; but, as we get older, needs change.

Originally Posted by evilfij
Having had this discussion with others, there is no reason to not buy a used 2 way base or sport seat to replace the passenger LWB if that is what the person sitting in it would prefer. Thankfully, my passenger likes LWB (but like other vehicles better), but I can see women in particular having more issues with LWB due to variation in body size and shape.
This is an interesting idea! Worth considering. However, I'm afraid mismatched seating might look odd. Also, retrofitting the seat heating could still be a problem.

Originally Posted by KenTO
Yes, you can push the seat back to get out and in. It helps. Personally, I don't like having to do such a thing; an extra step. I'm a minimalist in every sense.
The following users liked this post:
Westcoast (02-20-2020)
Old 02-20-2020, 01:59 AM
speed_kills
Instructor

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

Had a chance to sit on a Spyder with carbon buckets and was surprised how comfy/supportive it was. I had the impression that due to smaller interior, the seats will be narrower vs say a GT3. I find it even a little easier to jump in and out of the seats vs my GT3. And I'm not exactly lightweight.

For me, the carbon seats "complete" the look of the GT4/Spyder. Unless the purpose of the car is for daily driving, that will be my choice.

n4v4nod (02-20-2020)
Old 02-20-2020, 03:34 AM
evilfij
SJW, a Carin' kinda guy
Rennlist Member

Received 621 Likes on 433 Posts

Seat swaps have been done. Not sure on heating, but someone said they have done heat and ventilated on a 991 GT car. The aftermarket switches or even the pads are cheap and really easy to install if you don’t mind non-factory switches.

I really like the mismatched seat look personally. I was going to do it so I could get better access to the back with a single folding bucket, but I got lazy and don’t care enough anymore.
Old 02-20-2020, 06:08 PM
Sean in Texas
Rennlist Member

Received 94 Likes on 41 Posts

Ramble -

I am the original owner of a 991 GT3, specced with 18-ways before the LWBs became an option in Feb of 2015. Very comfortable seats, but not great for track days. I would end weekends with a torn knee from bracing myself against the driver door speaker grill. That was with wearing pajamas (our region requires long pants, and I would wear light pajamas over shorts.) A couple of years ago, I put in a half cage, Sparcos, and harnesses. Seats are great for stability, but not easy to get in and out of. Airbag light always on.

My current plan is to retire the GT3 within the next couple of years, return it to stock, and track the GT4. LWBs are a compromise. Not as good as dedicated racing seats, but more comfort and stability than 18 ways.

Ramble off
DFW01TT (02-21-2020)
Old 02-21-2020, 01:27 AM
SnoBdrAK
Instructor

Received 53 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by Sean in Texas
Ramble -

I am the original owner of a 991 GT3, specced with 18-ways before the LWBs became an option in Feb of 2015. Very comfortable seats, but not great for track days. I would end weekends with a torn knee from bracing myself against the driver door speaker grill. That was with wearing pajamas (our region requires long pants, and I would wear light pajamas over shorts.) A couple of years ago, I put in a half cage, Sparcos, and harnesses. Seats are great for stability, but not easy to get in and out of. Airbag light always on.

My current plan is to retire the GT3 within the next couple of years, return it to stock, and track the GT4. LWBs are a compromise. Not as good as dedicated racing seats, but more comfort and stability than 18 ways.

Ramble off
Interesting.... I'm coming from a similar background (991.1 GT3 w 18 ways, very sore after a two-day track event due to lack of lateral support, swapped in track seats/harnesses, rollbar after about a half dozen events), and moving on to GT4 in the next 6-9 months to be the new dedicated track car, at which point I'll also be reverting my GT3 back to stock. In my case, however, I'm taking the opposite approach: I'm going with the cheapest seats possible. Because other than the drive home from the dealer, the stock seats will sit in my spare room until it's time to sell the GT4. All of the factory seat options are a compromise on track; the LWBS just being the least compromised (albeit by a wide margin compared to the "sofa" options). However, I've learned that having a properly fitted track seat will be more comfortable regardless of its lack of "cushiness" since they are supporting your frame in the right areas. They are also generally lighter, cheaper, more durable, and allow no cares to be given about bolster wear. Getting out of my GT3, I can literally just sit on the side sill of the seat with no consequences (since it's just a light fabric and foam over some rigid fiberglass), which makes exiting far easier.
The following 2 users liked this post by SnoBdrAK:
CDACH (02-21-2020), DFW01TT (02-21-2020)
Old 02-21-2020, 11:11 AM
Sean in Texas
Rennlist Member

Received 94 Likes on 41 Posts

Originally Posted by SnoBdrAK
Interesting.... I'm coming from a similar background (991.1 GT3 w 18 ways, very sore after a two-day track event due to lack of lateral support, swapped in track seats/harnesses, rollbar after about a half dozen events), and moving on to GT4 in the next 6-9 months to be the new dedicated track car, at which point I'll also be reverting my GT3 back to stock. In my case, however, I'm taking the opposite approach: I'm going with the cheapest seats possible. Because other than the drive home from the dealer, the stock seats will sit in my spare room until it's time to sell the GT4. All of the factory seat options are a compromise on track; the LWBS just being the least compromised (albeit by a wide margin compared to the "sofa" options). However, I've learned that having a properly fitted track seat will be more comfortable regardless of its lack of "cushiness" since they are supporting your frame in the right areas. They are also generally lighter, cheaper, more durable, and allow no cares to be given about bolster wear. Getting out of my GT3, I can literally just sit on the side sill of the seat with no consequences (since it's just a light fabric and foam over some rigid fiberglass), which makes exiting far easier.
I've thought about doing the same thing over again, but I am not sure the seats in the 3 will fit in the 4. I'm not fat, but I'm 6'3"

And for whatever reason, for resale, folks seem to love the LWBs.

Old 02-21-2020, 11:22 AM
SToronto
Rennlist Member

Received 1,121 Likes on 731 Posts

Cool about the seats, so where was a 718 Spyder available to sit in?
Canadian International Auto show. Available to sit with allocation.
Old 02-21-2020, 12:00 PM
Westcoast
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by SToronto
Canadian International Auto show. Available to sit with allocation.
Ahh yes, I saw a few pictures of it there, forgot it was on display, I hear rumour that Porsche might bring it to Vancouver Auto at the end of March, might have to check it out...
Old 02-21-2020, 01:58 PM
DrakarBoxster
AutoX

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Locked

Ahh yes, I saw a few pictures of it there, forgot it was on display, I hear rumour that Porsche might bring it to Vancouver Auto at the end of March, might have to check it out...
It is in display at the toronto auto show but they locked the doors and you can’t see or sit inside. Kinda sucks
Old 02-21-2020, 02:00 PM
sonorous
Rennlist Member

Received 499 Likes on 234 Posts

Originally Posted by SnoBdrAK
I am not in the market for a 718 GT4 as I have a 981 GT4 that I will probably keep forever. My allocation came up during the long LWB blackout period so I ordered my car with 4-ways. I have been very happy with them until I started tracking. I wanted to reduce fatigue and increase safety on track but there is no way with sofa's. I did a lot of research and almost when down the race bucket route. The issue I could not get past was street safety. A race bucket is the best for on-track use, especially with a halo or removable halo. But for the street, I would want to retain thorax airbags and 3 point belts for safety and insurance liability reasons. Some say that 3 points can be made to work with racing buckets, but based on my research and in speaking with a couple well known and respected race shops, it is not the case. So it is those two details (airbag and 3-point) that convinced me to shop for LWB's for my car. They are a compromise, but they check more of the boxes for me than any other option. I ended up finding a nice pair that matched and I paid a ridiculous price for them (outside of the Porsche universe).

So my advice to anyone is:
Track car trailered to track: Race Bucket
Street car driven to track: LWB
Street car: LWB or Sofa depending on preference/fit

YMMV

Here is my final track ready setup:

Last edited by sonorous; 02-21-2020 at 02:01 PM. Reason: typo
The following 3 users liked this post by sonorous:
CDACH (02-21-2020), n4v4nod (02-21-2020), Westcoast (02-21-2020)
Old 02-21-2020, 09:56 PM
John Ferguson
Instructor

Received 26 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by Pokerhobo
If I was ordering the Spyder, I'd probably get the 18 ways with heat and ventilation.
Can't option ventilated seats on a Spyder no matter the seat choice. Too bad Porsche limited the options so much on the Spyder / GT4 compared to the GTS 4.0 versions. Had first Spyder allocation for a couple years but passed until PDK is available. Hoping by then I can also get ventilated seats, LCA, and might spring for PTS depending on availability and what colors are available at that time. GTS 4.0 PDK might win my dollars ... I prefer the power top, larger color palette, and being able to get the options I want.

Quick Reply: What seats are everyone getting and why?