Notices
718 GTS 4.0/GT4/GT4RS/Spyder/25th Anniversary Discussions about the 718 version of the GT4RS, GTS 4.0, GT4, Spyder and 25th Anniversary Boxster
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By: Cobb

who is doing european delivery?

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-2020, 06:03 PM
ISPYA718
Burning Brakes

Received 677 Likes on 294 Posts

Originally Posted by carrering
You should have a PCNA handler for your european delivery scheduling by now then. June is already pretty much completely booked. For a June delivery you would have a March build car. possibly early April. whats your order status for the car?

ED came in today at 1 pm. Confirmed for my requested date in May.
Old 01-16-2020, 07:59 PM
subshooter
Rennlist Member

Received 2,144 Likes on 983 Posts

Originally Posted by SToronto
I haven't requested, told sales guy I'm thinking about it. Saw your other post, didn't realize ED date is that much further out from build date. By your post an April build would have late June or July ED. If that were the case car wouldn't get back here until August sometime which is late summer.

If above is correct, I'm not sure it's worthwhile to do ED for only 2-3 days. Loose all that driving time here in the first year.
Originally Posted by carrering
You should have a PCNA handler for your european delivery scheduling by now then. June is already pretty much completely booked. For a June delivery you would have a March build car. possibly early April. whats your order status for the car?
I've done two EDs and they build them about a month before your pick up date.
Old 01-17-2020, 01:16 AM
ISPYA718
Burning Brakes

Wow - done 2 - amazing. I’m there for 9 days near end of May and looking at this route - Stuttgart through Black Forest down to Monaco/Nice to Cortina through the Italian Dolomites. Now trying to figure best way back to Germany as I would like to do some passes (if open) - Switzerland and or Austria (Maybe Lake Cuomo or Lake Geneva or similar. Any advice /tips greatly appreciated. Special wedding anniversary for my wife and , I so we thought we combine the car with a nice trip through Europe to celebrate.
Old 01-17-2020, 02:11 AM
JUPJAI
Burning Brakes

Received 45 Likes on 21 Posts

yep confirmed May 28, dropping in Leipzig June 6 - my 3rd ED

Zuffenhausen
Nurburgring
Baden-Baden
Strasbourg
Swiss Alps
Lake Como
Brescia
Austrian Alps
Munich
Ingolstadt
Leipzig
Prague

Last edited by JUPJAI; 01-18-2020 at 02:23 AM.
The following 2 users liked this post by JUPJAI:
carrering (01-20-2020), kfmcmahon (01-20-2020)
Old 01-17-2020, 08:18 AM
subshooter
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by ISPYA718
Wow - done 2 - amazing. I’m there for 9 days near end of May and looking at this route - Stuttgart through Black Forest down to Monaco/Nice to Cortina through the Italian Dolomites. Now trying to figure best way back to Germany as I would like to do some passes (if open) - Switzerland and or Austria (Maybe Lake Cuomo or Lake Geneva or similar. Any advice /tips greatly appreciated. Special wedding anniversary for my wife and , I so we thought we combine the car with a nice trip through Europe to celebrate.
That is a great route you have planned but I believe some of the key passes will still be closed in May. I am doing my third ED this summer and almost an identical route as you (and a fourth ED next year in a GT3). I loved the Furka pass. I've done many but that is my favorite. It is gorgeous. Check out this video I made of it below on my first ED. Also consider Zermatt and Mont Blanc (highest cable car ride in the world if Irecall correctly) along your route. Passes may still be closed for your time frame though.

I also hit the Stelvio pass which is a great one if you can avoid the tourist like I did on this trip.

Old 01-17-2020, 09:04 AM
ISPYA718
Burning Brakes

Thanks for the information. It is tricky to book right time - good weather but not too many tourists. I was hoping that late May balance the two . It will be a risk for sure with respect to the passes being closed. I have looked at a few websites that have super car rental packages to see what routes they go on.
Old 01-17-2020, 11:34 AM
disden
Drifting

Received 966 Likes on 429 Posts

Im doing ED again, June requested. I know the weather can be a challenge on some of the mountain passes, so as on prior ED trips often have to just wing it based upon conditions. Highly recommend Großglockner in Austria, plus it’s usually open year round. Italian Dolomites are a blast. One of my favorites is the Timmelsjoch connecting Italy and Austria, can use it to head back to Germany. But it is often closed due to weather, so check accordingly. Stelvio is a Must to do once, but avoid on weekends...unless you like driving slowly behind bicycles and small campers!

I love during Euro Delivery. When I don’t have a car ordered my wife and I usually fly over any way and rent a car! Have fun everyone. Hopefully see some of you in June with my GT4.

Old 01-17-2020, 11:09 PM
RyuBraska
Instructor

Received 79 Likes on 44 Posts

Will likely do ED. Any recommendations between Zuffenhasuen and Leipzig? I like the idea of the track at Leipzig but Zuffenhasuen seems better located...

Edit: it appears that the info that ED only starts on June 1st was clearly wrong. I have seen dates confirmed in May and my SA confirmed 2 dates in April for a GT4 and Spyder.

Last edited by RyuBraska; 01-18-2020 at 02:37 PM.
Old 01-19-2020, 11:34 AM
993 Guy
Pro

Received 12 Likes on 5 Posts

Doing ED first week in April although the car may not actually be ready (long story). Reality is it won't matter as I'll have the family with me (4 of us) and hence can't take the car with only 2 seats. Will rent an E63 or other high performance sedan for our travels. Would love to hear thoughts from you all on must seeing and routes you have taken. I'll be speaking with the Porsche ED folks this week but given the unorthodox nature of this "Euro Delivery", the factories (Porsche, Mercedes, etc) are a definite in addition to scenery and stops that the kids will enjoy and remember (they're 16 and 13).

Thanks for your feedback in advance.
Old 01-19-2020, 04:49 PM
kfmcmahon
Three Wheelin'

Received 110 Likes on 57 Posts

Originally Posted by 993 Guy
Doing ED first week in April although the car may not actually be ready (long story). Reality is it won't matter as I'll have the family with me (4 of us) and hence can't take the car with only 2 seats. Will rent an E63 or other high performance sedan for our travels. Would love to hear thoughts from you all on must seeing and routes you have taken. I'll be speaking with the Porsche ED folks this week but given the unorthodox nature of this "Euro Delivery", the factories (Porsche, Mercedes, etc) are a definite in addition to scenery and stops that the kids will enjoy and remember (they're 16 and 13).

Thanks for your feedback in advance.

Got my RS on October 31st, 2018. Was too late in the season to do the Swiss passes (Susten, Grimsel, Furka, Gotthard) as they are closed due to snow...I suspect first week in April you may have a problem also.

My dream trip was to do the Swiss passes, head southeast to Lakes Como and Garda then southwest to the coast to Monaco and drop the car in Nice, but Porsche timing and the weather prohibited it

We decided to do some of the more historic and beautiful cities in Europe instead (wife and I in the RS)

Frankfurt (rented a 3 series)--> Baden Baden (Black forest) --> Strasbourg --> Colmar & Eguisheim (Rhine river and Alsace region)--> Freiburg & Triburg wasserfalls (Balck Forest again)--> Stuttgart/Zuffenhausen (pick up car, museum and factory tours)--> Munich (day trip to Neuschwanstein, Hohenschwangau and Linderhof castles)-->Salzberg (day trip to Lake Halstatt)--> Vienna--> Prague--> Wurzberg--> Rothenburg--> Stuttgart/Zuffenhausen (to drop car back off)--> train to Frankfurt

Needed 2 Google maps to get it all in!

Great trip and hope to make it back to do the mountain passes and Italian Lake country in the future, possibly to get a 4.0L GTS when I can get a better season for the ED!
Old 01-19-2020, 06:19 PM
RyuBraska
Instructor

Received 79 Likes on 44 Posts

How many days?
Old 01-19-2020, 06:35 PM
kfmcmahon
Three Wheelin'

Received 110 Likes on 57 Posts

Originally Posted by RyuBraska
How many days?
Old 01-19-2020, 09:06 PM
993 Guy
Pro

Received 12 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by RyuBraska
How many days?
Likely 5 or 6 days for us. Sunday -> Saturday
Old 01-19-2020, 09:36 PM
subshooter
Rennlist Member

16 for me.
Old 01-20-2020, 03:10 PM
carrering
Rennlist Member

Received 32 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by SToronto
I haven't requested, told sales guy I'm thinking about it. Saw your other post, didn't realize ED date is that much further out from build date. By your post an April build would have late June or July ED. If that were the case car wouldn't get back here until August sometime which is late summer.

If above is correct, I'm not sure it's worthwhile to do ED for only 2-3 days. Loose all that driving time here in the first year.
European delivery is not a fixed time from when the car is ready. Its simply they only have so many deliveries they can schedule each day. June and July are really popular months. august its closed. If you have an April build your order locks in March. If you don't have a confirmed order with Porsche then the dealer doesn't have an allocation yet. I think you could still have a great experience. Its probably the only time you can drive your GT4 in Europe! I just suggest expanding your time to a week at least. once you do that lots of amazing experiences are open to you. I'm moving delivery to September from June myself so i can align with larger group. I did a september delivery my GT3 and it was fantastic! I drove Monza, Mugello, Bugatti (Sarthe LeMans), Nurburgring, even a lap around Monaco

Quick Reply: who is doing european delivery?