Notices
718 GTS 4.0/GT4/GT4RS/Spyder/25th Anniversary Discussions about the 718 version of the GT4RS, GTS 4.0, GT4, Spyder and 25th Anniversary Boxster
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By: Cobb

Will PAG offer 'Python Green' or 'Lizard Green' on the 718 Spyder? I am frustrated!

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-2020, 10:23 PM
ajw45
Three Wheelin'

Received 318 Likes on 168 Posts

That's crazy Eduardo! I don't think there's anyone more knowledgeable or passionate about the PTS program and cars than you so if you can't get in a PTS order no one can. That said, I can't say I'm surprised. As a first time Porsche customer with my GT4 in 2015 I didn't enjoy the purchasing process and thought it was entirely unprofessional with colors and options fading in and out.
Old 02-13-2020, 01:15 PM
JonnyD72
Instructor

Received 142 Likes on 52 Posts

I'm in no hurry, so I can wait around to see if they eventually offer PTS in the GT4 or Spyder.....would LOVE a Viola Metallic!
Old 02-13-2020, 08:11 PM
Z356
Nordschleife Master

Received 109 Likes on 72 Posts

Originally Posted by disden
I have always appreciated your educational posts. I am disappointed in the color choices this round, especially in light of the lack of PTS option.
I would have taken a Python Green Gt4 to match my Lizard RS and keep the reptile theme going, but oh well. My car locked with Gentian since
Euro Delivery date now set, it will do. Thanks again for your efforts to educate us.
You are welcome, disden. I appreciate your kind words. Good luck with 'Gentian Blau'. It should be a winner for Porsche.
Originally Posted by #1SomeGuy
Why get upset about colour? Why get upset about limited run colours that you don't get?
You can't win them all and if the losses are on just getting specific colours, count yourself lucky that it's something that trivial
with a vehicle. Keep in mind that offering and changing colours of paint is not a no-cost thing for any manufacturer, especially
in limited runs. They aren't just filling up a paint gun with some new paint out of a can, there's a lot more to it when you get
into the automation and batching they have to do, they might not be making GT cars along side regular production cars on
the same lines at the same time when those colours are prepared.

I don't think I can offer any sympathy for your frustration.
Thank you for taking the time to educate me in how cars are painted at Porsche. I simply didn't know any of it. Saludos.

Originally Posted by jayson
Not sure if there is any truth to it, but I was told the Lizard Green GT4 in your photo
was a pre-production car that was intended to launch with the others at the unveiling/press events - but then
Porsche decided not to offer Lizard Green as an option.
That is very interesting info. Probably true.

Originally Posted by bk_911
I feel your pain. I really wanted a great green for the gt4 as well. I feel the same way
about python. I'm pretty sure my build locked by now (I have to check) but I would have picked lizard or python if I
had the option. I chose gt silver.
Can't go too wrong with 'gt Silver'. Classic color now for Porsche...even if it doesn't have as long a history as other
silver hues.

Originally Posted by MEM82
Eduardo you certainly are a great ambassador for all things pts and color related, and I admire your passion. I too wish
we were offered some green.
Thank you Mem82. I hope I make a better ambassador for Porsche than Gordon Sondland or Marie Yovanovitch for the US.

Originally Posted by JSF101
Eduardo,

I've given up on PAG and their unimaginative color palette for the GT cars (particularly the Cayman & Boxster class). Feel your pain.

Give your post a "double like!"

cheers,
Steve
Steve: Remember I want a repeat visit next time you are going through Scottsdale. I was just near you in Texas, although not
close enough to drop by. I participated in the annual 'West Texas Trip' organized by former Porsche salesperson Jack McCall
from Houston. Our headquarter hotel was The Gage in Marathon near Alpine. And we drove fast through the nearly deserted
roads around 'Big Bend National Park' near the Mexican border.

If you or any other Rennlister is interested in finding out more about this annual West Texas trip (Early Feb), or the other trip
in the Ozark that Jack McCall puts together every November (that one has been going on for over 30 years), please let me
know. They are somewhat affordable (the 3 night stay with all breakfast, lunch & dinners covered, plus our contribution to
the local sheriff to absolved us for our speeding sins, was $2000 for a couple).

Originally Posted by Chris3963
Yes, I totally agree. It is almost insulting that there is a more exciting colour palette for the lesser GTS than the GT4/Spyder
where all the colour choices are more akin to ordering a dull executive car. Frustrated by the choice, I ended up ordering a
Spyder in Gentian Blue but I am not excited about it at all so am seriously considering dumping the order and shifting to a
GTS where I can get a colour that makes me want to look back at the car and puts a smile of my face.
I know what you are saying. I am debating whether to 'bail' on my order & get a PTS used manual 2018 gt3!

Originally Posted by evilfij
Z356,

I hope all is well. I can confirm Python is uni. I personally have not seen it, but the configurators list it as uni and someone
I trust has seen an official panel (the ones that go on the wall) and confirmed it is uni.

Your frustration is understandable, but, from Porsche’s perspective, you are describing a feature, not a bug.

Early adopters get limited choice (ostensibly to stop flippers). Happened in GT3 where manual, PTS, touring, CXX,
and PTS and CXX on touring all rolled out late. (I know speedy was somewhat different, but those allocations rolled
out all at once and mere mortals like me could not get an allocation at anything near a reasonable price).

Non-GT cars get more color and option choices. Want a green 718? Porsche would have you order a GTS, it frees
up a spyder allocation. Yes, not yet available in the US, but Porsche sells other cars and would be happy to put you
in a short term lease ....

None of this is particularly new, it’s just the way it works. They tweak it a bit here and there. I think they did a good job
with 991.2 GT3, as, if you waited, you could get what you wanted. The only downside was that there was not quite
enough allocations so there was too much ADM (which, I believe, porsche is trying to and seems to have fixed with
GT4/Spyder where there does not seem to be much ADM). Less of a good job with no PTS on US GT3RS and still
ADM which has resulted in a bunch of dealer spec cars now trading under MSRP basically new.

The bottom line is if everyone could get the special spec special GT Porsche they wanted right away, none of them
would be special and demand would fall. Put simply, porsche does not want us ordering special cars, owning them
for a year or two doing cars and coffee, and selling at a profit or no loss with 1500 miles on them. They also don’t
like dealers charging ADM (which is really money porsche could keep). So, you wait and pay more (via CXX and
PTS prices) and hope what you really want becomes available, or you order from the menu with an early allocation.

In the end, does it really matter? Especially for a car that you may only keep for two or three years? I suppose it
matters somewhat; but I don’t think I would like my GT3 all that much less if it were A1 black v. PTS 210 and I
plan to keep it for a very long time. And because it matters to me, and also because I have such a long term
horizon, I am perfectly fine waiting for PTS to open up before trying to get a spyder allocation or waiting for the
25th anniversary boxster.

BTW I tried to send you a note, but you PM box was full. I have some 718 CXX info for you.
Due to my threads on PTS & other topics, I have been inundated with PMs since 2012. Right now I have 1727
messages in my PM 'Inbox'. The moment that I don't renew the Rennlist membership for a few days or a few
months, Rennlist informs me that my 'inbox' is full for non-paying member & delete most of them in order to
make room for new ones. I don't want to delete because I often go back and read what I wrote a Rennlister
years ago & keep that information. But now I have re-enlisted...and received your new PM. Thank you.

Originally Posted by Loess
I’m pretty sure the Spyder and gt4 are built in Stuttgart (see the Chicago car show post). I think they will
offer PTS. Once the exclusive department is done with all the speedster special orders they should the
capacity. I’d just push back my order and wait a few months if I wanted it. I think python is a close relative
to the historic viper like lizard is to gelbgrun. (I haven’t seen it though). evil, spill the beans on the cxx.
You see, you learn something new each day. Initially we were told by Porsche that all 718 Spyders and gt4's were
being built at Karmann. So when was the decision made to switch back these two models to Zuffenhausen?

Originally Posted by SToronto
The limited paint palette could be because the car is built in Zuffenhausen not Osnabruck.
I was told the factory is focused on Taycan production, so that has taken some priority. PTS May become available later
this year.
If anyone else has more information on why the switch back to Zuffenhausen of the 718 Spyder/gt4, I am 'all ears'!

Originally Posted by jmartpr
I feel your pain Eduardo! I was also really excited to order Lizard Green given that the new price increase in PTS
is just a joke. As much as I want a Green or Continental/Signal Orange GT4 I can't process the new pricing of PTS
...is a total rip off. The info I have, and I already posted this, is that there was a problem with the supplier of Lizard
Green...the color was pulled from all models and even orders already locked were forced to change them according
to GM at my dealer. There's a slight chance it may get added back....crossing my fingers. My current 981 GT4 is
Racing Yellow and looks awesome, I like it a lot, but wanted something different his time. My current choice for the
718 GT4 is white and maybe do a deviated stitching either in Lizard Green or Orange to add a little bit of fun on the
inside. If I get bored with white guess it will wrapping time for the 718 GT4, which I have to do anyways as I do a lot
of track days.
Yes I saw your post a while ago & it did give me some hope. I think I posted something about that on this forum.
If they are having 'warranty' issues with 'Lizard', that would be a shame. They did pull 'RS Orange' in 2011 for
that reason. And it's missed to this very day. I love 'Lizard' and would have ordered a Spyder in that color without
a second thought!

Originally Posted by 981Spyder_PTS

Python vs. Lizard

Python, Lizard and Mamba Green (Metallic)
Very informative, Spyder. Thank you very much for this post! It settles the issue as to what 'Python' looks like.
And as Evil said, it's indeed a 'Uni'. The latter are my favorite colors from Porsche.

Originally Posted by Denny Swift
I understand your frustration, but why not get a full wrap instead? That will give you the color you want and full
protection of your paint. A full wrap would probably cost less than PTS too. If/when you sell the car, it would
probably be much easier (and command a better price) if it were a more neutral color. I see all pluses with a
wrap.
I had bad luck with even the 911R type decals I put on my old '17 Carrera S. Keep replacing them every 6
months due to rock chips and excessive/foreceful wiping with rags at the car washes. But I understand your
point.

Originally Posted by needmoregarage
Thank you Eduardo for all your contributions. I feel the same as you. Color is very important to me.
The car must be “the whole package”. I also wanted PTS on my GT4 but had zero chance. I was lucky
to get a build. Agate was the only color that spoke to me. I do think it looks great but wished for something
different.

i truly loves my Peridot Cayman R, and our UV RS. Neither were PTS but hose were fun colors that looked
great. I love when a GT car has a unique launch or special color found only on that model. The GT4 launched
in racing yellow but that color is available on just about every P car which makes it less special. Peridot was
only for the cayman R (unless spec’d as PTS) and UV wasn’t the launch color but was only for the RS unless
PTS on a p car.

These are first works problems. I still feel strongly about color being part of what makes me look back at the
car and smile. I will probably order white or silver on the next car and I might wrap in a color for fun.
You are welcome for the kind words. Although not a big fan of 'Peridot' because it's a metallic, I am crazy in
love with 'Ultra Violet'. Many years ago when the hue was introduced as a 'Special Color' on the .1 991 gt3 RS,
I posted that it would become one of the most desirable colors in time for that model. I personally don't like
the 'Lava Orange' that PAG decided to highlight in all of the marketing for this model. PAG calls any color
they choose to highlight a particular model their 'communication hue'. And 'Lava' is too milky-wash out to
make it to my color 'Hall of Fame'. But that is only my personal opinion.

Originally Posted by kart125
Also a bit dissapointed in color choices… Since I'm way down the list at my dealer I hope more options
become available. I'm expecting to spec my car summer/fall 2021 if they go that far in allocations.

A wrap is a very thin and stretchable material that is not intended for PPF purposes… but it's better
than nothing and will protect against abrasions from road grime/sand/insects/small rocks. A bigger
rock will tear the vinyl and get to the paint for sure.

But this thread got me thinking… could we put a PPF film over a wrap to get both a color change
from the wrap and better impact resistance from the PPF? But at that price (2 times 3-5k) we are
in the range of a professional paint job in the color of our choice...
'Disappointment' is the right word that applies to this situation!

Originally Posted by blackholescion
As a first time buyer, I'm taking the car to get my foot in the door. I would have loved PTS
as I want an Arena Red car at some point in my life. I could get a 993 or one of the limited
991.1 but I'd rather have new if possible. Maybe the 992.2 GT3 should I be so lucky to get
an allocation and they have PTS. Thanks for all your contributions to the topic over the years.
It's been a wealth of knowledge.
You are welcome for the kind words, Blackhole. Welcome to the world of Porsche ownership!

Originally Posted by ajw45
That's crazy Eduardo! I don't think there's anyone more knowledgeable or passionate about the
PTS program and cars than you so if you can't get in a PTS order no one can. That said, I can't
say I'm surprised. As a first time Porsche customer with my GT4 in 2015 I didn't enjoy the purchasing
process and thought it was entirely unprofessional with colors and options fading in and out.
Thank you, but I don't know if it's true that I have any special pull with PAG to land a PTS order
on any of their models. Porsche has been very oriented in prioritizing 'Exclusive', formerly called
"Sunderwunsch", to only their most wealthy and/or celebrity clients since the 356 era. When I
first started unveiling the 'mask' from PTS and 'Porsche Exclusive' option here on Rennlist in
2012 I thought PAG would appreciate the information we were giving out to their most loyal
& dedicated forum enthusiasts. It turned out that was not the case. They wanted to keep the
program relatively 'hidden' and/or 'difficult to get'. I have over the years tried to explain that
rather weird philosophy to my readers. Personally, I do not agree with their management of
either PTS or 'Exclusive Manufaktur'. But frankly, 'Exclusive' is easier to get than PTS. So
the truly difficult option continues to be PTS. And the case in point is the lack of PTS on this
718 Spyder & gt4. It's their company & they are free to do as they like. But I have personally
lost a lot of trust in Porsche in the past few years!

Originally Posted by JonnyD72
I'm in no hurry, so I can wait around to see if they eventually offer PTS in the GT4 or Spyder.....
would LOVE a Viola Metallic!
Beautiful color 'Viola Metallic'. Wish you the very best in that quest!

Again, thank all of you that have responded to my 'rant'. I appreciate each & every one of
those that took the time to respond & inform on this important topic.

Saludos,
Eduardo
Scottsdale
The following 2 users liked this post by Z356:
evilfij (02-13-2020), wdr911 (02-13-2020)
Old 02-13-2020, 11:58 PM
Matt-R20
Racer

Received 142 Likes on 59 Posts

Eduardo,

I love your passion and historical detail. I was one of your Signal Green GT3 mates and followed that saga intently. Later, I traded that car and wrote the check to get a Birch Green .2 which was totally worth it. I’d say just hang in there, PTS will come and you might even be able to get one without the ADM if you’re lucky!
Old 02-14-2020, 12:26 AM
Z356
Nordschleife Master

Received 109 Likes on 72 Posts

Originally Posted by Msmatt
Eduardo,

I love your passion and historical detail. I was one of your Signal Green GT3 mates and followed that saga intently.
Later, I traded that car and wrote the check to get a Birch Green .2 which was totally worth it. I’d say just hang in there,
PTS will come and you might even be able to get one without the ADM if you’re lucky!
Thank you for the kind words. I remember you well...nearly five years ago! We had a great time tracking those
30 PTS gt3s in the three colors ('Signal Green', 'Arena Red' & 'Mode Grau' & getting many of them into Rennlisters'
hands!

https://rennlist.com/forums/991-gt3-...y-gt3s-41.html

I might join you soon in the .2 991 PTS gt3 club...you never know!!

Saludos,
Eduardo
Scottsdale
Old 02-14-2020, 12:11 PM
Buckett76
Rennlist Member

Received 142 Likes on 85 Posts

Z356

I have no experience with PTS but I do hear you on the color palette, seems odd to me that there are no real 'sporty' options in the base colors and the new GTS palette scheme should be where it's at. If choices are a production issue they could take out some of the boring colors and leave in the more exciting ones.

PTS seems like a whole other ball game but if that's the financial play then seems strange it's not an option all the time, Porsche would surely make more money and it would limit the flipping as it would always be an option. From what I hear, getting in an allocation window with PTS seems like a crap shoot and probably adds to the used market pricing issues even more.

On another note we are allocation brothers at the same dealership so good to hear allocations are starting to trickle in (i'm sure i'm a good 12 months away ). For now I'll keep updating my config between GT Silver and Gentian until the time comes (maybe some sort of Orange, Purple, Green, etc will be an option by then!).
Old 02-14-2020, 04:17 PM
Matt-R20
Racer

Received 142 Likes on 59 Posts

If you see this story about the next 911 GTS, the Python color may be a new GTS color. If you remember, last gen GTS introduced Carmine Red and it spread to other models / cars as a special color.

https://www.autoblog.com/2020/02/14/...gts-992-spied/

The following 2 users liked this post by Matt-R20:
9872SpeedYellowCS (02-14-2020), n4v4nod (02-14-2020)
Old 09-14-2020, 01:54 AM
TikiLou
Rennlist Member

Received 362 Likes on 201 Posts

Originally Posted by 981Spyder_PTS

Python vs. Lizard

Python, Lizard and Mamba Green (Metallic)
See, and for me, I wish the GTS 4.0 was available in Mamba Green, which I find to be an amazing color. Saw it on a Taycan a few weeks back and it's stunning. And then a few days later saw it on a Macan in a Trader Joe's parking lot. Yup, still stunning.

I like Python Green, but I'd rather get it in Mamba (without paying an extra $10k for it).

Quick Reply: Will PAG offer 'Python Green' or 'Lizard Green' on the 718 Spyder? I am frustrated!