Notices
718 GTS 4.0/GT4/GT4RS/Spyder/25th Anniversary Discussions about the 718 version of the GT4RS, GTS 4.0, GT4, Spyder and 25th Anniversary Boxster
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By: Cobb

718 GT4/Spyder vs 718 GTS 4.0

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-2020, 11:47 AM
2XIPA
Burning Brakes

Received 314 Likes on 214 Posts

The Spyder offers the GT parts I’ve been wanting to have on a Boxster for quite some time. It’s still a value proposition in my mind. Well worth the extra $15k.
The following 6 users liked this post by 2XIPA:
DFW01TT (02-18-2020), ISPYA718 (02-18-2020), JAhmed (02-18-2020), MRflat6 (02-18-2020), n4v4nod (02-18-2020), Westcoast (02-20-2020) and 1 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 02-18-2020, 12:05 PM
MRflat6
Intermediate

Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by 911dull
I’ve got a 991.1 GT3RS and a 981 GT4........really I have to say the GT4 is more fun and nicer to drive, especially at lower speeds on the road.
The GT4 just feels so compact and nimble compared to the RS.
However, it does lack the drama when you floor it......the GT4 is fast but it doesn’t scream and throw you back in the seat like the RS.
If I were you I wouldn’t consider the GT4 inferior to the GT3 despite the price difference.
Evo car magazine list the 991.1 GT3RS as ‘sensationally good to drive- the GT4 is even better’
+1, I've heard this from many dual owners of these cars. I too love that GT3 engine, but would miss the size, agility, and overall package of the mid-engine GT4.

OP @speed_kills definitely go for a GT4 RS if it was in the budget, but I can only imagine that car will start at around $120k and built $135k. GT4RS in theory should have the power shove a bit more similar to a GT3, and even more connected to the track.
Old 02-18-2020, 02:25 PM
klinkman
Rennlist Member

Received 33 Likes on 15 Posts

I currently have a 997TT. Its my first Porsche and one I dreamed about for years on end. I stated out looking for a used Cayman and that is where I ended up! Have had it 5 years now as a weekend/ fun car and I absolutely love it. Went car shopping for the wife a year ago...she wanted an SUV. Drove all the Macans and ultimately settled on a Macan Turbo which she loves! See a trend here?
So I knew my next purchase would be on the Cayman / Boxster platform. I have rented several base models on Turo....I like the mid engine handling experience as it complements our other two cars. Started the search about two weeks ago and was leaning towards the Boxster GTS 4.0. My dealer (located in the Midwest) said I would be first in line and was ready to take my deposit. Went a drove a 4 cylinder Boxster GTS locally and did not like the performance one bit.....I guess not after owning a 911 Turbo.
Needed to drive something with the 6 in a Cayman / Boxster platform. Found a 2016 GT4 and …. well….much more of my speed (literally and figuratively). I think its representative of what the 4.0 GTS will be like. SWEET! Then got the bug for a GT4 or Spyder.
Then got in the whole convertible conversation. In the northeast I am just not sure how much I will really use it. I like the ease of the Boxster roof, do not like the unease of the Spyder roof and do not particularly care for its appearance when its up. Then my son pointed out that every time i would run in the store, or stop to get gas, that really I needed to put the roof up. ???? Well unfortunately some folks are resentful of our cars and with the roof down unattended are an easy target for someone spitting or spilling something in it...…..his words...... certainly the minority of people but something to consider. Also my brother passed from Melanoma, and why the top down would be fun not sure its best for me and my family history!
Then looked at the GTS 4.0 vs the GT4......and I think the GTS looks very plain. No offense to anyone...….again coming from a 997 Turbo pretty easy to understand why I feel that way. . All of my cars are modded and lowered and I could do that top a new GTS. But I could buy a GT4 and all I would have to do is add PPF and tint the windows. The GT4 speaks to me...…..the GTS doesn't.
So that is the decision I made, a new GT4. dealer thinks he can get me a fall build slot and at MSRP. Deposit sent.
I must say I have watched every recent video review of the GTS 4.0 and it looks awesome. Have had some second thoughts. Performance will be very close to a GT4 but it sure doesn't look as aggressive or in my opinion as nice as the GT4, The added track bits aren't most likely necessary for me but it will be nice for AutoX and track days (which I have yet to do). For me its a GT4.
So blessed to be in this position...but thought I would share my experience!
The following 2 users liked this post by klinkman:
CDACH (02-18-2020), n4v4nod (02-18-2020)
Old 02-18-2020, 08:41 PM
speed_kills
Instructor

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by MRflat6
+1, I've heard this from many dual owners of these cars. I too love that GT3 engine, but would miss the size, agility, and overall package of the mid-engine GT4.

OP @speed_kills definitely go for a GT4 RS if it was in the budget, but I can only imagine that car will start at around $120k and built $135k. GT4RS in theory should have the power shove a bit more similar to a GT3, and even more connected to the track.
Glad to know that there are GT3 owners who are also considering the GT4/Spyder!

I tend to go for near top variant like the GT3 instead of say a GT3RS. For the extra amount I have to put up, I feel rather experiencing something a bit different.

Like I thought I was done with BMW’s as my last one was an M4. But when I got an M2c, I’m actually enjoying it much much more despite being “entry level” and less sophisticated. For me, its like a modern 1M and what the 3-series should have been as current 3’s feel so big.

At the moment, I’m torn between gt4/spyder vs GTS... probably not going to consider RS though as I’m after a Porsche modern manual for my next car. I like the GT4 very much due to aero look/performance and dealer reserved me an incoming stock. Spyder I like the best in terms of look for but a manual roof will be too much of a commitment where I’m from. Then, GTS is sort of in the cards too as I can save a bit of coin with very similar performance although I’m not excited much with the normal Boxster/Cayman appearance.

Anyway, it’s still some time before I need to decide so I’ll hang around to see other enthusiasts’ comments. 😊

Old 02-18-2020, 09:53 PM
spyderphile
Three Wheelin'

Received 99 Likes on 79 Posts

GTS 4.0 is an incredible value, in the Porsche-World! Porsche has undercut the GT4/Spyder in a significant way. For many, it's a better option than GT4/Spyder. In most tangible and intangible metrics, including emotional appeal, GTS 4.0 is extremely close. I've no doubt, it'll definitely reduce the demand for GT4/Spyder. The driver needs to ask himself/herself if the differences of the higher spec models are justified. For many, for the streets, probably not, besides the bragging right. As for me, will I choose the GTS? Hell no! I'm a Spyderphile! But then, I'm also known to be a fanatic! :-)

Here are the ringing endorsements from Evo:
Cayman GTS 4.0
Boxster GTS 4.0

Old 02-18-2020, 10:00 PM
spyderphile
Three Wheelin'

Received 99 Likes on 79 Posts

Another score in favor of GTS? Better color palette!
The following users liked this post:
JSF101 (02-18-2020)
Old 02-18-2020, 10:57 PM
JSF101
Burning Brakes

Received 169 Likes on 97 Posts

Originally Posted by the_rider
truly incredible how Porsche chooses color palette
whoever makes those decisions should be fired
you give the GTS the full color spectrum and the supposed "top of the line" GT4/Spyder gets "meh"

only reasonable solution is to open PTS
Old 02-19-2020, 02:28 AM
Z356
Nordschleife Master

Received 109 Likes on 72 Posts

Originally Posted by the_rider
Originally Posted by JSF101
truly incredible how Porsche chooses color palette
whoever makes those decisions should be fired
you give the GTS the full color spectrum and the
supposed "top of the line" GT4/Spyder gets "meh"

only reasonable solution is to open PTS
Perhaps that is a solution, Steve. But I have decided
on another one. I am 'firing' Porsche from this planned
718 Spyder acquisition. They don't deserve for me to
make that investment given the way they are going
about making decisions re: the specs of the Spyder
vs the GTS. First, they arbitrarily limited the color
offerings on the more expensive Spyder/gt4 model,
while allowing the GTS model to have a more diverse
color palette which includes the lovely 'python green'.

And second, it has become obvious from these glowing
reviews in Europe of the new 718 GTS models that PAG
is openly undermining the monetary investment their
loyal customers are making by buying a 718 Spyder/gt4's.
PAG is doing so by giving the GTS many of the same
key components (e.g. engine & transmission) that we
thought would be exclusive, for at least a while, on the
just-released Spyder/gt4. For heaven's sake, the latter
has not yet been delivered in the North American market!
And yet its value has now been somewhat diminished by
not differentiating it enough from PAG's 718 GTS offering.
This is lousy marketing, at best. And perhaps a bit of
contempt, or basic disregard, for their 718 Spyder/gt4
loyal customers that have been waiting with anticipation
for this model for years!

Saludos,
Eduardo
Scottsdale
Mcx (02-20-2020)
Old 02-19-2020, 02:50 AM
Archimedes
Race Director

Received 3,858 Likes on 1,902 Posts

While I think it’s great that you’re not buying a Spyder, as that means more for us, I don’t get the argument that Porsche has devalued the Spyder at all. I’d argue there is still a bigger difference now than on the last version.

The last Spyder did not have the GT suspension, did not have the larger wheels and stickier rubber, and did not have the aggressive aero of the new car. The 981 Spyder was closer to the corresponding GTS than this one is IMO, unless of course you’re buying cars because of pretty paint. If that’s the case, then you’re right, maybe the GTS is the car for you.
Old 02-19-2020, 03:18 AM
speed_kills
Instructor

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

The Spyder is growing on me...highly impractical due to manual roof but sooo sexy...
MRflat6 (02-19-2020)
Old 02-19-2020, 07:48 AM
jmartpr
Rennlist Member

Received 1,457 Likes on 909 Posts

Originally Posted by Archimedes
While I think it’s great that you’re not buying a Spyder, as that means more for us, I don’t get the argument that Porsche has devalued the Spyder at all. I’d argue there is still a bigger difference now than on the last version.

The last Spyder did not have the GT suspension, did not have the larger wheels and stickier rubber, and did not have the aggressive aero of the new car. The 981 Spyder was closer to the corresponding GTS than this one is IMO, unless of course you’re buying cars because of pretty paint. If that’s the case, then you’re right, maybe the GTS is the car for you.

I see Eduardos angle on this, just looking at 718s.....most people (not RL members and hard core enthusiast...not to mention flippers and collectors) will only look at the engine and will have to decide if just the looks of the Spyder or GT4 are enough for the up charge. There's a huge market out there that doesn't care about GT3 front suspension, 6-speed with LSD and bigger brakes....they will see basically the same car, same drivetrain with better colors...you can even spec the carbon buckets for even more eye-candy even if the only thing you do is a sunday drive to the local C&C! There's not enough of a difference for the average buyer with $$$$ to make it an easy sell for the GT4/Spyder....unless you enter exclusivity and being part of the GT Club.
Old 02-19-2020, 10:21 AM
Yellow Submarine
Racer

Received 89 Likes on 48 Posts

Originally Posted by Z356
Perhaps that is a solution, Steve. But I have decided
on another one. I am 'firing' Porsche from this planned
718 Spyder acquisition. They don't deserve for me to
make that investment given the way they are going
about making decisions re: the specs of the Spyder
vs the GTS. First, they arbitrarily limited the color
offerings on the more expensive Spyder/gt4 model,
while allowing the GTS model to have a more diverse
color palette which includes the lovely 'python green'.

And second, it has become obvious from these glowing
reviews in Europe of the new 718 GTS models that PAG
is openly undermining the monetary investment their
loyal customers are making by buying a 718 Spyder/gt4's.
PAG is doing so by giving the GTS many of the same
key components (e.g. engine & transmission) that we
thought would be exclusive, for at least a while, on the
just-released Spyder/gt4. For heaven's sake, the latter
has not yet been delivered in the North American market!
And yet its value has now been somewhat diminished by
not differentiating it enough from PAG's 718 GTS offering.
This is lousy marketing, at best. And perhaps a bit of
contempt, or basic disregard, for their 718 Spyder/gt4
loyal customers that have been waiting with anticipation
for this model for years!

Saludos,
Eduardo
Scottsdale
1/ Colors are personal and while I would have loved Lizard Green, I am fine with Racing Yellow at zero extra cost. Over here in Belgium, most folks chose dark, black or grey and many absolutely hate yellow, which is an extra motivation for me to stick it in their eye! Kids love it though!

2/ 4,0 exclusive for the Spyder/GT4 (maybe for some time)? No, you are mistaken, that was never a promise. Spy pics of a Cayman with the exhausts apart but without the wing and featuring smaller brakes were around and my dealer told me in November 2018 that a "Cayman 6" was coming.

The total cost of ownership of the 4,0 GTS wil be the same as the GT4/Spyder due to higher residuals of the latter. So it comes down to preference. And my o my, my Spyder is taking my breath way. It's so gorgeous and rides and goes with the attitude I lusted for.
JSF101 (02-19-2020)
Old 02-19-2020, 10:33 AM
MRflat6
Intermediate

Originally Posted by jmartpr
I see Eduardos angle on this, just looking at 718s.....most people (not RL members and hard core enthusiast...not to mention flippers and collectors) will only look at the engine and will have to decide if just the looks of the Spyder or GT4 are enough for the up charge. There's a huge market out there that doesn't care about GT3 front suspension, 6-speed with LSD and bigger brakes....they will see basically the same car, same drivetrain with better colors...you can even spec the carbon buckets for even more eye-candy even if the only thing you do is a sunday drive to the local C&C! There's not enough of a difference for the average buyer with $$$$ to make it an easy sell for the GT4/Spyder....unless you enter exclusivity and being part of the GT Club.
I was wondering that regarding the buckets in the GTS, but I believe the US market will not get those seats similar to past years. Euro GTS cars always get that option but the US GTS models always seem to be left out to protect GT3 sales etc.
Old 02-19-2020, 10:34 AM
2XIPA
Burning Brakes

Received 314 Likes on 214 Posts

I can't imagine a non-emergency situation on the road where you could legally exploit a GT chassis on the street. No offense, maybe Porsche is pushing for its limited GT cars as being tools not trophies?
DFW01TT (02-19-2020)
Old 02-19-2020, 10:36 AM
MRflat6
Intermediate

Originally Posted by jmartpr
$15k more for all the aero, GT3 bits, bbk, and higher engine output are worth it if you want that stuff and use it. Also relatively sure you cant get buckets in the US GTS cars.
Although, the GTS 4.0 is the best ever, and does the ring in the same time as the old GT4!

Quick Reply: 718 GT4/Spyder vs 718 GTS 4.0