Notices
718 GTS 4.0/GT4/GT4RS/Spyder/25th Anniversary Discussions about the 718 version of the GT4RS, GTS 4.0, GT4, Spyder and 25th Anniversary Boxster
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By: Cobb

718 GT4/Spyder vs 718 GTS 4.0

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-2020, 08:23 PM
speed_kills
Instructor

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts
Default 718 GT4/Spyder vs 718 GTS 4.0

I didn’t see a comparison thread especially for those leaning towards the GT4 initially yet so sorry in case there’s one already...

For those planning to get a GT4/Spyder, how have the reviews of the GTS 4.0 affected your buying decision? Did you cancel your GT4 allocation for a GTS? Do you still find it worth to go for GT4 vs GTS? Some reviews say that the GTS is like 99% of the GT4 so I’m curious on everyone’s thoughts.

I have a 991.2 GT3 PDK for over 2 years and I still enjoy a lot whenever I take it out for weekend pure road driving. Was searching for a manual but its almost impossible where I’m from unless I’m willing to pay a big premium. And since I’ve had the GT3 for sometime, I’d rather try a different car for a new experience.

I’m considering a GT4 next (side by side with my GT3) since our dealer has offered me one of their incoming stocks mainly to experience mid engine and a Porsche manual. I actually like the Spyder’s lines very much but manual roof is too much of a hassle. Anyway, the roof will stay closed over 90% of the time due to heat, humidity, pollution, etc...

With recent GTS 4.0 reviews, it got me rethinking my options due to price/performance practicality of the GTS vs GT4. Plus with the recent announcement, I can even consider a Boxster with its automatic roof although I’m not too excited with the normal Boxster look.

Anyway, I’m still studying my options and I hope to hear your comments about the GT4 vs GTS.

Thanks!

Popular Reply

02-20-2020, 02:46 AM
evilfij
SJW, a Carin' kinda guy
Rennlist Member

Received 621 Likes on 433 Posts

Stop whining. I walked in during the Great Recession and was offered a GT3RS 4.0 at sticker. I passed, because I wanted a 997.1 RS frog (I am nothing if not consistent with liking green cars) and thought $175k or whatever was too much for the 4.0.

PORSCHE DOES NOT WANT YOU TO DRIVE THE CAR FOR FREE OR MAKE A PROFIT. THEY DON’T WANT DEALERS CHARGING ADM. TAKE WHAT PORSCHE (AP especially) SAYS AT FACE VALUE.

You will lose money on GTS/GT4/Spyder, just like 991 GT3/GT3RS/GT2RS buyers did. And guess what you won’t be able to get an early allocation at sticker with your connections/whining, hold it for 6 months and 1500 miles back and forth to cars and coffee and lose nothing or make a bit of money like you could with some of those cars.

By the time you actually get the car, the GT4RS and Boxster 25th will be announced or rumors enough to show they will have PDK and 450hp which will make everyone realize there is something better, and oh by the way, the 992 GT3 is coming too. Prior to 5 or so years ago, you expected to lose money on any car. We are back to reality.

I mean people are complaining that Porsche is making too many good cars (in both variants and production numbers) that enthusiasts want to buy? Really? Just because there are a lot of them does not make the one you have less of a great car. Or just because someone has a “better” Porsche should not make you enjoy the one you have any less. You pull up in a GTS, next guy has spyder, next guy has a speedy, the guy after him has a CGT. You know who is probably enjoying his car the most? The guy in the 97 base boxster with 180k miles on it.

Old 02-17-2020, 08:33 PM
Pokerhobo
Burning Brakes

Received 535 Likes on 293 Posts

I have a GT4 on order and heard about the GTS 4.0 before the order locked. I currently drive a 981 Cayman GTS. From my perspective, I think the GTS 4.0 is a great option for those who wanted a GT4 Touring. You don't get the GT3 front or bespoke suspension, but for non-track use, the current GTS suspension is probably better day to day due to being softer. It's also not as low (20mm vs 30mm drop). With the GTS you have many more options for exterior colors as well as internal luxury options not available to the GT4. However, I really wanted a manual (thus not waiting for the rumored GT4RS) and something more sports car focused than luxury touring. Porsche still hasn't announced the USA pricing, but current estimates are mid to high $80k. I'm sure eventually we'll have some direct comparison videos between the GT4 and GTS 4.0.
Old 02-17-2020, 08:45 PM
speed_kills
Instructor

Originally Posted by Pokerhobo
I have a GT4 on order and heard about the GTS 4.0 before the order locked. I currently drive a 981 Cayman GTS. From my perspective, I think the GTS 4.0 is a great option for those who wanted a GT4 Touring. You don't get the GT3 front or bespoke suspension, but for non-track use, the current GTS suspension is probably better day to day due to being softer. It's also not as low (20mm vs 30mm drop). With the GTS you have many more options for exterior colors as well as internal luxury options not available to the GT4. However, I really wanted a manual (thus not waiting for the rumored GT4RS) and something more sports car focused than luxury touring. Porsche still hasn't announced the USA pricing, but current estimates are mid to high $80k. I'm sure eventually we'll have some direct comparison videos between the GT4 and GTS 4.0.
I agree with your position as it won’t make sense to go GTS again and the GT4 is the natural next step. Congrats!

About wanting more sports vs luxury touring, I can relate as before the GT3, I’ve had various 911 variants from Turbo, TurboS, CarreraS, etc. While all great cars, I’ve realized that the raw mechanical feel of a GT appealed to me the most.
The following users liked this post:
Pokerhobo (02-18-2020)
Old 02-17-2020, 08:55 PM
MRflat6
Intermediate

Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts

GTS 4.0 would be great for anyone wanting a full warranty and a friendlier street/daily car. If you're coming from a 981 GTS, agree, it's not a big enough up step up to pay the premium.

Only counterpoint I can think of, if you really want a GT4 type car, but don't want to spend extra for the 718 GT4, then there's the 981 GT4 that's a much better value vs. a GTS 4.0.
Old 02-17-2020, 09:04 PM
speed_kills
Instructor

Originally Posted by MRflat6
GTS 4.0 would be great for anyone wanting a full warranty and a friendlier street/daily car. If you're coming from a 981 GTS, agree, it's not a big enough up step up to pay the premium.

Only counterpoint I can think of, if you really want a GT4 type car, but don't want to spend extra for the 718 GT4, then there's the 981 GT4 that's a much better value vs. a GTS 4.0.
Yes, I’ve explored a 981 GT4 in the past but it was hardly brought in where I’m from. So my options are either new from the dealer or slightly used pre-owned ideally still under warranty..
Old 02-17-2020, 09:43 PM
MRflat6
Intermediate

Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by speed_kills
Yes, I’ve explored a 981 GT4 in the past but it was hardly brought in where I’m from. So my options are either new from the dealer or slightly used pre-owned ideally still under warranty..
I see, you're in Asia, missed that. Used market is completely different clearly over there. Totally get your point on options.

On a related note, have you driven a GT4 back to back with your GT3? GT3 engine is simply on another level completely as you probably know... you will not get that specialness in the GT4s at all.

That said, know a few folks who are doing what you're about to do, and they've said the GT3 is definitely more special and the car to have, but it's debatable if it's worth the extra premium Porsche commands for it over what the GT4s give you- you get a special engine, but you're definitely paying a lot for it, and you lose the nimbleness / agility of the GT4 in the GT3 a tad (just by the fact the GT3 is a larger car in every way).
Old 02-17-2020, 10:21 PM
subshooter
Rennlist Member

Received 2,144 Likes on 983 Posts

I have a Spyder on order and my decision has not changed although I thought about it briefly. The GTS 4.0 is going to be a fantastic car. I really like the humps and exclusivity of the Spyder though and I think it looks better all around. I also like the name....lol. I wont notice the 20 extra HP, probably wont notice the improved suspension. I will definitely notice the manual roof and front lip scrapping.
The following 7 users liked this post by subshooter:
DFW01TT (02-17-2020), ISPYA718 (02-18-2020), MRflat6 (02-18-2020), NFSF (02-17-2020), sg13 (07-12-2023), Westcoast (02-20-2020), worf928 (02-17-2020) and 2 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 02-17-2020, 10:25 PM
speed_kills
Instructor

Originally Posted by MRflat6
I see, you're in Asia, missed that. Used market is completely different clearly over there. Totally get your point on options.

On a related note, have you driven a GT4 back to back with your GT3? GT3 engine is simply on another level completely as you probably know... you will not get that specialness in the GT4s at all.

That said, know a few folks who are doing what you're about to do, and they've said the GT3 is definitely more special and the car to have, but it's debatable if it's worth the extra premium Porsche commands for it over what the GT4s give you- you get a special engine, but you're definitely paying a lot for it, and you lose the nimbleness / agility of the GT4 in the GT3 a tad (just by the fact the GT3 is a larger car in every way).
Not yet as there's hardly any 981 GT4 in my market. I've had a 981 Cayman GTS in PDK before. Good chassis but I thought it lacked power (340hp) and probably better if it was in manual. Sounded great though with sports exhaust.

One thing I really like with the 991.2 GT3 is that it drives smaller vs say a 991.2 CS or 991.2 TTS. For such a big premium, the TTS especially felt only like a more powerful CS sport tourer with very similar characteristics for me. So as a pure weekend car, it didn't feel special enough and got boring easily.

While probably not as "special" as the GT3, I'm curious if the GT4 or even the GTS 4.0L will be closer to GT3 in terms of driving experience.

Old 02-17-2020, 11:35 PM
Archimedes
Race Director

Received 3,858 Likes on 1,902 Posts

GTS 4.0 is by far the better deal. I highly recommend people by them over the GT4 or Spyder. Do it.
MRflat6 (02-18-2020)
Old 02-18-2020, 12:11 AM
gotgolf52
Burning Brakes

Received 58 Likes on 36 Posts

Spyder has a unique looks to it vs GTS has mechanical roof which I prefer. Only if the Spyder has electric roof and optional PDK. Love manual but getting tiresome driving in heavy traffic daily.
Old 02-18-2020, 01:23 AM
ISPYA718
Burning Brakes

Received 680 Likes on 295 Posts

I’d wait for the electric Boxster Spyder if you are going to wait for PDK (I prefer the analog manual so I’m keeping my Spyder order and if the above is your criteria - faster and much better as a daily/traffic than PDK. Plus no one is currently building an electric 2 seater - yes Tesla is planning but cost is huge. I haven’t heard of anyone else building one and Porsche first effort seems to be getting great reviews.
Old 02-18-2020, 01:47 AM
ipse dixit
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 10,863 Likes on 4,809 Posts

Spyder is unique.

Spyder > GT4 > GTS 4.0
The following 3 users liked this post by ipse dixit:
JAhmed (02-18-2020), n4v4nod (02-18-2020), subshooter (02-18-2020)
Old 02-18-2020, 06:19 AM
911dull
AutoX

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Archimedes
GTS 4.0 is by far the better deal. I highly recommend people by them over the GT4 or Spyder. Do it.
Many folk have mentioned how the GTS is cheaper and offers excellent value- this may not be the case when it come time to sell-
anyone can buy them new- I can only envisage the Spyder is going to have way better residuals.

The following 2 users liked this post by 911dull:
n4v4nod (02-18-2020), speed_kills (02-18-2020)
Old 02-18-2020, 06:27 AM
911dull
AutoX

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by speed_kills
Not yet as there's hardly any 981 GT4 in my market. I've had a 981 Cayman GTS in PDK before. Good chassis but I thought it lacked power (340hp) and probably better if it was in manual. Sounded great though with sports exhaust.

One thing I really like with the 991.2 GT3 is that it drives smaller vs say a 991.2 CS or 991.2 TTS. For such a big premium, the TTS especially felt only like a more powerful CS sport tourer with very similar characteristics for me. So as a pure weekend car, it didn't feel special enough and got boring easily.

While probably not as "special" as the GT3, I'm curious if the GT4 or even the GTS 4.0L will be closer to GT3 in terms of driving experience.
I’ve got a 991.1 GT3RS and a 981 GT4........really I have to say the GT4 is more fun and nicer to drive, especially at lower speeds on the road.
The GT4 just feels so compact and nimble compared to the RS.
However, it does lack the drama when you floor it......the GT4 is fast but it doesn’t scream and throw you back in the seat like the RS.
If I were you I wouldn’t consider the GT4 inferior to the GT3 despite the price difference.
Evo car magazine list the 991.1 GT3RS as ‘sensationally good to drive- the GT4 is even better’
The following 2 users liked this post by 911dull:
Pokerhobo (02-18-2020), speed_kills (02-18-2020)
Old 02-18-2020, 11:46 AM
Archimedes
Race Director

Received 3,858 Likes on 1,902 Posts

Originally Posted by 911dull
Many folk have mentioned how the GTS is cheaper and offers excellent value- this may not be the case when it come time to sell-
anyone can buy them new- I can only envisage the Spyder is going to have way better residuals.
Have you already forgotten the first rule of Fight Club?

n4v4nod (02-18-2020)

Quick Reply: 718 GT4/Spyder vs 718 GTS 4.0