Notices
718 GTS 4.0/GT4/GT4RS/Spyder/25th Anniversary Discussions about the 718 version of the GT4RS, GTS 4.0, GT4, Spyder and 25th Anniversary Boxster
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By: Cobb

Chalk/crayon spyder with silver or platinum wheels

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-2020, 09:51 PM
vcp13
Rennlist Member

Received 417 Likes on 211 Posts
Default Chalk/crayon spyder with silver or platinum wheels

Has anyone seen a 718 spyder in chalk with non-black wheels? Ive searches around a lot and ive not found any 718s with chalk and silver, but I've seen gt3 w/ platinum and aluminum. There was a gt3 with aluminum + black Porsche side decal that worked. You need to break up the chalk a bit with black, but it does not need to be the entire wheel imo. That said not sure those side stripes work on a spyder.

I am trying to make chalk + heritage interior + non-black wheels work for a build that locks soon. Maybe it just doesn't. Love chalk. Love heritage interior. Don't love black wheels. Gt silver and obvious back up but I've had 2 silver on black Porsche's and I love them but maybe time for a change

Thanks!
Old 02-17-2020, 10:22 PM
Mash
Instructor

Received 80 Likes on 22 Posts

Agreed,

I have seen Chalk with classic red interior & black wheels in Pictures, under showroom lighting looks fantastic. However, in the real world ( outside showroom ) the black wheels won’t show the wheel design very well. I personally am against going with black wheels, just like you.

with that said, I’m still not very sure what sort of wheel color goes best with Chalk.

personally, I locked in a 718 Spyder order.
went Classic ALL the way.

GT silver exterior, red classic heritage interior, Silver wheels with Porsche crest center caps in black ( not colored ), black brake calipers, full bucket seats.
The following 2 users liked this post by Mash:
GT3ED (02-25-2020), Mcx (02-19-2020)
Old 02-17-2020, 11:08 PM
speed_kills
Instructor

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by vcp13
Has anyone seen a 718 spyder in chalk with non-black wheels? Ive searches around a lot and ive not found any 718s with chalk and silver, but I've seen gt3 w/ platinum and aluminum. There was a gt3 with aluminum + black Porsche side decal that worked. You need to break up the chalk a bit with black, but it does not need to be the entire wheel imo. That said not sure those side stripes work on a spyder.

I am trying to make chalk + heritage interior + non-black wheels work for a build that locks soon. Maybe it just doesn't. Love chalk. Love heritage interior. Don't love black wheels. Gt silver and obvious back up but I've had 2 silver on black Porsche's and I love them but maybe time for a change

Thanks!
Is silver and platinum satin just the same? I’m checking photos online but seems confusing which is the actual “platinum satin” wheel color.. anyone have photos to compare? 😊
Old 02-17-2020, 11:41 PM
n4v4nod
Nordschleife Master

Received 1,629 Likes on 898 Posts

Here you go... multiple pics of the same car in Japan. Much like Miami Blue, Chalk is hard to capture. Cameras tend to try and make it more white than it is.

View this post on Instagram

Old 02-18-2020, 12:10 AM
vcp13
Rennlist Member

N4v4nod- thank you!!! The 4th post of the driving side profile shows chalk in the most true color, I believe. I think silver works here given the other black bits on the car and the lack of roof.

You're our resident spyder color expert at this point and you had the sport classic. Chalk, red, buckets, silver. What do you think?
Old 02-18-2020, 12:59 AM
n4v4nod
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by vcp13
N4v4nod- thank you!!! The 4th post of the driving side profile shows chalk in the most true color, I believe. I think silver works here given the other black bits on the car and the lack of roof.

You're our resident spyder color expert at this point and you had the sport classic. Chalk, red, buckets, silver. What do you think?
I agree, the side profile pic looks the best. As for this color combo? I absolutely love it. It was my back up selection to my current selection. Only one thing bugs me about it... Interior trim is mandatory GT Silver... wish it could be Chalk or Carbon Fiber. I inquired about it for CXX, but as previously mentioned, I missed the deadline. I took a couple pics of a GTS in chalk with the Bordeaux Red interior sample. I think it would be an amazing color combo.

The following users liked this post:
Mcx (02-21-2020)
Old 02-18-2020, 08:16 AM
vcp13
Rennlist Member

Thanks. Bordeaux and chalk is a winner for sure. I think silver wheels can work here too. If it looks awful I can always powder coat them later.

Do I need more black on the chalk given silver wheel selection? Black handles and brake calipers? Or is that to much of a mismatch between blacks silvers and grays? Maybe just brake calipers.
Old 02-18-2020, 08:16 AM
tthellott T
Instructor

Received 56 Likes on 36 Posts

i think this is exactly what you want including interior~

The following 2 users liked this post by tthellott T:
Mcx (02-21-2020), wdr911 (02-25-2020)
Old 02-18-2020, 09:55 AM
2XIPA
Burning Brakes

Received 314 Likes on 214 Posts

Looks awesome. Although I’d be highly tempted to add the black door handles and platinum wheels. YMMV
Old 02-18-2020, 12:26 PM
MRflat6
Intermediate

Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts

imho, these pictures show silver wheels will not match chalk very well, but to your point, always easy to change wheels later if you wish. I vote for Satin Platinum stock wheels as an between solution to just black.
Old 02-18-2020, 04:11 PM
n4v4nod
Nordschleife Master

Silver wheels looks good... matches the chrome bits in the headlights, side Spyder logo... the back Porsche logo needs to be chrome though and not matte black like the photo. It’s not about matching Chalk, it’s about how it compliments it. I like the platinum wheels by themselves, but they don’t match anything. Too many finishes. You have Chalk, Gloss Black, Matte Black, Chrome, Silver wheels, Bordeaux Red, Black Alcantara, GT Silver interior Trim. Just my opinion though and that is very subjective.

Old 02-18-2020, 04:23 PM
vcp13
Rennlist Member

^agree especially keeping Porsche in silver. Pass on black door handles because gloss black and all other blacks are matte. Black brake calipers If PCCB, red of not. Neither are a perfect match...
Old 02-18-2020, 05:32 PM
MRflat6
Intermediate

Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts

Agree, less about a perfect match, its about the right contrast between the biggest two exterior surfaces, and why black wheels are a popular combo with chalk. I guess to me the silver and chalk compete too much in the pictures, and dont complement each other. To your point, very subjective though...
n4v4nod (02-18-2020)
Old 02-18-2020, 11:48 PM
Westcoast
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 4,495 Likes on 2,645 Posts

I will let you know what Chalk with Platinum Satin wheels look like when mine arrives...
Old 02-19-2020, 12:36 AM
vcp13
Rennlist Member

Platinum satin will look great. I've had them; added benefit they hide brake dust. Many examples in the GT3 forum of chalk/platinum.

That said I've decided to roll the dice on silver to save $1,290 which I can put toward diamond black or platinum glossy bbs fi-r's if I want to change up the look between winter/summer or powder coating of not.

Onto the next question- light weight LWBS+PCCB vs light spec comfy 2 way + heated seats and steering... leaning light weight (else opt for the GTS) though will miss heated seats on colder drives.
MRflat6 (02-19-2020)

Quick Reply: Chalk/crayon spyder with silver or platinum wheels