Notices
718 GTS 4.0/GT4/GT4RS/Spyder/25th Anniversary Discussions about the 718 version of the GT4RS, GTS 4.0, GT4, Spyder and 25th Anniversary Boxster
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By: Cobb

Daily driver to pair with a Spyder?

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-2020, 11:35 AM
vcp13
Rennlist Member

Received 417 Likes on 211 Posts
Default Daily driver to pair with a Spyder?

Looking for thoughts on what I should add to the list of potential dailies to pair with an incoming 718 Spyder. Current daily is a Tesla Model 3 Performance. It is GREAT, I love it and will probably keep it as well.

Stuff I am thinking about below. I am weird I know these aren't typical cross shopped cars.

Trucks
Model Y Performance (replace 3)
F150 Raptor, new now being discounted
Wrangler/Gladiator - crazy finance deals

911 + roof rack:
2014-15 991 turbo s - around $100k a hell of a lot of bang for buck
Air cooled 911 coupe - 993, 964, 3.2 g50
991.2 - had a c2 PDK and loved it
992 c2S off the lot, at a discount

Something else?

Objective is fun, usable/practical, good value for money, complement the Spyder. Have 3 kids, dog and wife has a large boring SUV

Thanks!
Old 05-09-2020, 11:38 AM
Sausage416
Pro

Received 334 Likes on 168 Posts

Macan gts
The following 4 users liked this post by Sausage416:
c1pher (01-02-2021), Foggy916 (05-09-2020), RoscoeArbuckle (01-01-2021), Toothengineer (05-09-2020)
Old 05-09-2020, 12:01 PM
Jim Rockford
Burning Brakes

Received 491 Likes on 264 Posts

With 3 kids and a wife aren't you going to need a 3-row SUV? On passenger capacity, I'm not sure how anything on your list would work.

If you are looking at a 5-seater I would say Land Rover Velar. It's one of the few SUVs that have the visuals to keep pace with a car like the Spyder.
Old 05-09-2020, 12:11 PM
wizee
Rennlist Member

Received 823 Likes on 452 Posts

Personally, I think the Model 3 Performance you currently have is already the ideal daily.

Are you just looking for change? I can relate to that, as I already have several great cars, yet I still want to try more.

Why would you want a Model Y instead of the Model 3? It’s slower, heavier, less range, more bloated looking, and you sit much further from the ground (a negative in my book - I like sitting as low as possible, but that’s subjective). It does have a little more rear seat and cargo space, but I don’t understand looking for that while also looking at 911s.

If you’re looking for a daily driver that’s more entertaining to drive but still easy, any used 991 would be good, but a 991.1 Turbo / Turbo S would be particularly good, in terms of bang for your buck, and expected future depreciation.
Old 05-09-2020, 12:57 PM
vcp13
Rennlist Member

Sausage-love Macan looks, interior quality and handling, but would rather Tesla in this category ($/performance).

Jim- wife has a Merc GLS if needed should have mentioned that... so don't need to fit everyone into the car but need to accommodate kids sports etc in a pinch. Velar is pretty... I am partial to the RRS Supercharged V8... but JLR is a mess and they are expensive trucks! Deals to be had?

Wizzee- you are right, the M3P is perfect daily. Too perfect. I need a change because... I dont have a good reason. I am just irrational. Perhaps it's quarantine brain getting bored. Re Y i guess I have some SUV/truck envy? Re 911 Turbos... I like that they are brutally fast like M3P, but with Porsche finesse and quality. I used to own a 991.2 c2 pdk and a bit worried about buying a modern 911 w/ less power than the M3P will disappoint. What other fun cars do you have?
Old 05-09-2020, 01:07 PM
bonehead
Rennlist Member

Received 292 Likes on 130 Posts

Where do you live, what do you do, and how long is your commute?
Old 05-09-2020, 01:08 PM
wizee
Rennlist Member

Not sure if sufficiently practical, but the AMG GT S is getting to be great value for the money in the used market. You can get a 2016 for $70k USD, or 2017 for $80k-$85k USD. The upgraded interiors on them are beautiful (nicer than any Porsche interior in my opinion), plenty of cargo space in the back for grocery runs, great chassis, responsive motor, unique driving experience, and mine always puts a big grin on my face whenever I take it out. The short front overhang and lack of a front splitter also mean you don’t need to worry about driveway entrances and speed bumps. I don’t know if a two seater would suffice for your daily needs though.
Old 05-09-2020, 01:29 PM
RonLu
Track Day

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I like your thinking around getting a truck. I've got a seven year old Model S which I still love and will keep to pair w the Spyder, and my wife has an X5 35d w third row for kids stuff and our dog. If I were looking to get one more vehicle I'd be looking to broaden my driving options and go with either the Raptor or the Gladiator. Both of those are fun in completely different ways than what you've already got. Personally I'd get the Gladiator since I love Jeeps.

Only other way of expanding your driving options is to go with as fun of a luxury car as you can find, e.g AMG S63, or go really stripped down like a Polaris. But as I said earlier I'd get a Gladiator, especially if you can get a great deal on one.
Old 05-09-2020, 01:31 PM
vcp13
Rennlist Member

Bonehead- northeast, finance, 20 minute commute. 39, prefer less ostentatious. Eg ferrari ff would be a blast but would not want to run into a client driving it.
Old 05-09-2020, 01:39 PM
dmk2
Three Wheelin'

Received 736 Likes on 365 Posts

It is hard to justify anything other than a Tesla product for daily use.

I don’t own one, but it ticks all the logical boxes
Old 05-09-2020, 01:43 PM
vcp13
Rennlist Member

Ron- thanks. My view on luxury has changed with the Tesla. It's more "luxurious" to have a car with awesome tech and great ADAS systems that just works than to have a beautiful S class interior, in my current world view. (Not trying time start a war with anyone just my current personal preference). Those AMGs haul *** and I love that, but it's not my thing. The truck itch comes from camping with the kids. I've taken kids camping in a 911, boxster and Tesla in the past and it all works fine but a truck would work better. Only thing I don't love about the gladiator is It's not a raptor... ha. Always have had a strong gravitational pull toward Raptors and Range Rover Sports in the truck category...

Thanks all. Helpful fleshing this out. My wife just rolls her eyes!
Old 05-09-2020, 01:47 PM
bonehead
Rennlist Member

Received 292 Likes on 130 Posts

Originally Posted by vcp13
Bonehead- northeast, finance, 20 minute commute. 39, prefer less ostentatious. Eg ferrari ff would be a blast but would not want to run into a client driving it.
Born and bred NY'er, if I still lived there, I'd definitely lean toward something more foul weather capable. Your commute is relatively short, so fuel efficiency not such a big factor.
Can't speak to the Y, as I have no personal experience with EV's. Regarding the other trucks, I'd definitely go Raptor. Jeeps are fun, but not the greatest on comfort/NVH. Raptors are a bit more harshly sprung than a typical F-150, but IMO they make up for it performance and aesthetics.

If you're not in a rush, I'd also wait for the new Ram Rebel TRX as a contender.
Old 05-09-2020, 01:55 PM
wizee
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by vcp13
My view on luxury has changed with the Tesla. It's more "luxurious" to have a car with awesome tech and great ADAS systems that just works than to have a beautiful S class interior, in my current world view. (Not trying time start a war with anyone just my current personal preference). Those AMGs haul *** and I love that, but it's not my thing.
This is all personal preference, and I respect your views, but don’t discount the value of really nice seats. I love my CL63 for several reasons, but most of all it’s the seats. Soft but very supportive, and hug you as you corner. Before you dismiss them, try out a C216/C217/W221/W222 AMG car, take time to configure the seat bolstering just right, and turn on the dynamic seats option. The seats are what sold me instantly on my CL63; the AMG GT seats, while pretty, aren’t as comfy though.

With that said, if you like the idea of taking the car camping, a Raptor and Gladiator both sound like great ideas, and are much more off road friendly than a Model Y. Taking sports cars off road is more nerve-racking than satisfying, so get a truck if this is what you want to do.
Old 05-09-2020, 02:44 PM
docfink
Pro

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Honda Civic Type R

It's so fun and practical. I have winter rims/tires for the colder months and it's fun as hell. It's certainly "tinnier" than the Porsche with thinner sheetmetal and paint, but it's fun to ring it out on on-ramps and the like. I haven't tracked it, but I can't think of many more enjoyable driver's cars.
Old 05-09-2020, 03:07 PM
Archimedes
Race Director

Received 3,858 Likes on 1,902 Posts

Golf R. Fantastic all around car.
The following 3 users liked this post by Archimedes:
Toothengineer (05-09-2020), UncleDude (12-31-2020), zmah (01-01-2021)

Quick Reply: Daily driver to pair with a Spyder?