Notices
718 GTS 4.0/GT4/GT4RS/Spyder/25th Anniversary Discussions about the 718 version of the GT4RS, GTS 4.0, GT4, Spyder and 25th Anniversary Boxster
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By: Cobb

Spyder better than GT4?

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-2020, 03:44 AM
cowhollow
4th Gear

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
Default Spyder better than GT4?

First, a disclaimer that I usually search first, but it's very hard to find any Spyder vs. GT4 threads (and I'm sure this has been debated endlessly).

Posting to ask why folks picked the Spyder over the GT4 or vice versa? Especially interested in folks that selected a GT4 even though they do not track or track only a few days a year (therefore track usage isn't deciding factor). This is a weekend car that will go on a few road trip adventures to explore California and perhaps a couple track days (I haven't done any track driving before but would be fun to try).

Rationally, it's the Spyder hands down. But my heart is with the GT4.

Spyder thoughts:
- Topless driving sounds great, especially since I live in California, but I haven't driven convertibles for extended time, concerned it might be too loud and windy, not as enjoyable as a coupe even for weekend driving exploring the backroads of California. Yes, could always drive with the top up, but if you buy a Spyder, one should do so planning to mostly drive with the top-down of course, otherwise, what's the point! Is top down driving as magical as people say?
- $3k less is a nice benefit, especially when it usually costs a premium to shed the roof (Speedster, Cabriolet, etc.)
- Looks stunning, love the Spyder ducktail and rear humps
- Black side intakes don't seem to look Sood, they breakup the car in a bad way to my eyes, especially on a light color like white, which I am leaning towards - prefer the painted GT4 covers (but think this could be perhaps be solved with an order from Suncoast)

GT4 thoughts:
- Safer car (on or off the track)
- Coupe is more aesthetically pleasing to me (but maybe this is just because I prefer Cayman to Boxster, and in the 2016 versions of the GT4/Spyder, the GT4 had the GT prestige - basically all this highly effective Porsche marketing might be warping my sensibilities)
- GT4 looks so perfect in this beautifully made clip: www.youtube.com/watch?v=ibOfr7XHnUc

Would love to hear how you made your decision. Thanks everyone!
Old 07-08-2020, 04:30 AM
Croc999
Racer

Received 36 Likes on 23 Posts

go with your gut feeling - if you look inside i'm sure you know what your hart wants.
Old 07-08-2020, 10:07 AM
iliveoncaffiene
Burning Brakes

Received 396 Likes on 234 Posts

It's pretty much a convertible vs. coupe debate. If you're a convertible person, you're going to get the Spyder.
If you're not (or are going to be driving this in snow/winter) - like me - then you'll get the GT4.

There's a couple aesthetic differences of course: GT4 has a wing, and with it (and the roof) more downforce than the Spyder.
The side-profile of the Spyder with the top down is one of the best looking convertibles out there.
The following users liked this post:
FourFourTwo (08-01-2020)
Old 07-08-2020, 10:07 AM
2XIPA
Burning Brakes

Received 314 Likes on 214 Posts

I'm going for another Spyder here in the PNWR. The panoramic view you get with the top down can't be beat. YMMV
Old 07-08-2020, 10:12 AM
Underblu
Banned

Received 574 Likes on 217 Posts

lol, you asked and answered your own question.

It’s not a question of better or worse. To me, the Spyder continues to be the prettiest production car Porsche builds. It’s semi-exotic aesthetic catches admiring glances without a bunch of exaggerated flares, scoops or wings. I’m also an open top guy and have had the good fortune of owning Porsches my whole life; about as close as I got to a hardtop was an air cooled Carrera Targa I owned.

If I was going to buy a hardtop Porsche, I prefer the iconic shape of the 911 with 991 GT3 touring and Carrera T as two of my favorites. Afaic, the Cayman looks too much like a 911 mini-me even though it’s performance dynamics are anything but.

Originally Posted by cowhollow
First, a disclaimer that I usually search first, but it's very hard to find any Spyder vs. GT4 threads (and I'm sure this has been debated endlessly).

Posting to ask why folks picked the Spyder over the GT4 or vice versa? Especially interested in folks that selected a GT4 even though they do not track or track only a few days a year (therefore track usage isn't deciding factor). This is a weekend car that will go on a few road trip adventures to explore California and perhaps a couple track days (I haven't done any track driving before but would be fun to try).

Spyder thoughts:
- Topless driving sounds great, especially since I live in California, but I haven't driven convertibles for extended time, concerned it might be too loud and windy, not as enjoyable as a coupe even for weekend driving exploring the backroads of California. Yes, could always drive with the top up, but if you buy a Spyder, one should do so planning to mostly drive with the top-down of course, otherwise, what's the point! Is top down driving as magical as people say?
- $3k less is a nice benefit, especially when it usually costs a premium to shed the roof (Speedster, Cabriolet, etc.)
- Looks stunning, love the Spyder ducktail and rear humps
- Black side intakes don't seem to look Sood, they breakup the car in a bad way to my eyes, especially on a light color like white, which I am leaning towards - prefer the painted GT4 covers (but

think this could be perhaps be solved with an order from Suncoast)

GT4 thoughts:
- Safer car (on or off the track)
- Coupe is more aesthetically pleasing to me (but maybe this is just because I prefer Cayman to Boxster, and in the 2016 versions of the GT4/Spyder, the GT4 had the GT prestige - basically all this highly effective Porsche marketing might be warping my sensibilities)
- GT4 looks so perfect in this beautifully made clip: www.youtube.com/watch?v=ibOfr7XHnUc

Would love to hear how you made your decision. Thanks everyone!
Old 07-08-2020, 10:19 AM
Archimedes
Race Director

Received 3,858 Likes on 1,902 Posts

All personal preference. I had a Spyder previously and originally got a Spyder allocation this time as well, but switched to GT4 and I’m very glad I did. I’m a tintop guy at heart and it’s just the right car for me. I’m a lot more excited to get the car than i was when i was expecting a Spyder. But you can’t go wrong with either. All that matters is what YOU want out of the car.
Underblu (07-08-2020)
Old 07-08-2020, 10:39 AM
Illusive991
Racer

Received 229 Likes on 124 Posts

Originally Posted by cowhollow
GT4, purely based on this sentence; the tagline is 'Perfectly Irrational' after all!

I'm not a track rat, but I have been on a few tracks and do enjoy pushing cars to my limit once or twice a year. I've always been a coupe over convertible person as I like having a roof over my head; even with the big panoramic roofs on my other vehicles, I find more often than not they stay closed regardless of the weather outside.

I also toyed with the idea of going with a Spyder as it would have cost me a lot less (not just the base price, but also the options I would have selected would be drastically different). At the end of the day though. like you, my heart was always with the GT4 and I knew that would be the car that I would look back at and smile from ear to ear; not that I wouldn't be ecstatic with a Spyder, but the GT4 makes me slightly happier! Everyone has their own reasons as to what they select, either the GT4 or Spyder or options for each vehicle; at the end of the day, just make sure you are happy with the decision you made!
Old 07-08-2020, 11:26 AM
KenTO
Burning Brakes

Received 522 Likes on 199 Posts

GT4

2 Reasons not to get a Spyder: Sun stroke and hat hair

Old 07-08-2020, 12:10 PM
JAhmed
Rennlist Member

Received 1,774 Likes on 755 Posts

Subjective as hell

Had a 981 Cayman GTS before...wonderful car but always drove with the windows open to hear the sound and feel more exposed.

Guess which 982 I went for?
Gatch (07-09-2020)
Old 07-08-2020, 01:11 PM
fantom
Racer

Received 106 Likes on 80 Posts

Originally Posted by KenTO
GT4

Third reason....skin cancer.

The fallacy of the title of this thread....is that one isn't "better" than the other. They are DIFFERENT than each other.
Old 07-08-2020, 01:23 PM
n4v4nod
Nordschleife Master

Received 1,629 Likes on 898 Posts

Originally Posted by iliveoncaffiene
It's pretty much a convertible vs. coupe debate. If you're a convertible person, you're going to get the Spyder.
If you're not (or are going to be driving this in snow/winter) - like me - then you'll get the GT4.

There's a couple aesthetic differences of course: GT4 has a wing, and with it (and the roof) more downforce than the Spyder.
The side-profile of the Spyder with the top down is one of the best looking convertibles out there.
Im typically not a convertible guy... With the exception of the Spyder/Spider body style. This is my preference order (design wise):
1. Spyder/Spider (718, 918)
2. Coupe (GT4, 911)
3. Targa (911)
4. Roadster (Boxster)
5. Cab (911)
Old 07-08-2020, 01:24 PM
pcar-yvr
Intermediate

Received 62 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by KenTO
GT4

3rd Reason: Allergies.
Pollen in the spring rips me apart when I have my top down.

But seriously- there is no wrong choice. Both a Spyders and GT4s are amazing.

GT4:
Wins for outright performance with greater downforce and better for all weather conditions.

Spyder:
Wins for driving pleasure on sunny days, better sound, and greater perception of speed with open top.
Old 07-08-2020, 01:49 PM
wizee
Rennlist Member

Received 823 Likes on 452 Posts

Originally Posted by n4v4nod
Im typically not a convertible guy... With the exception of the Spyder/Spider body style. This is my preference order (design wise):
1. Spyder/Spider (718, 918)
2. Coupe (GT4, 911)
3. Targa (911)
4. Roadster (Boxster)
5. Cab (911)
Agree 100%. I don’t like too much sun in my eyes or my skin being pounded with radiation, so I tend to prefer coupes, though the openness of a convertible is nice when driving through scenic areas or in perfect weather. I detest the shape of the 911 Cabrio with the top up, but think the 911 Coupe looks great, and I prefer the shape of a Cayman over a Boxster. However, the Spyder body style is unique, looks a bit exotic, and in my opinion is possibly the prettiest new car you can buy under $200k.

Last edited by wizee; 07-11-2020 at 12:36 PM.
n4v4nod (07-08-2020)
Old 07-08-2020, 02:04 PM
John Ferguson
Instructor

Received 26 Likes on 23 Posts

My first car was a 68 Camaro convertible and have ridden motorcycles for over 50 years. Have owned 987 Boxster, 987 Cayman S, and 981 GTS. First on the list when Spyder gets PDK.

Spyder wins easily for me but everyone is different. Love some wind in my face, the sounds, the smells, things you don't get in a GT4. Have never tracked any of my cars and have no plan to. Hate the GT4 flying nun hat spoiler but the Spyder ducktail rules. Used to live off Highway 1 in CA, how can you not go Spyder with that weather?
pdds (07-12-2020)
Old 07-08-2020, 02:09 PM
Pokerhobo
Burning Brakes

Received 535 Likes on 293 Posts

The Spyder is definitely a better value than the GT4 given, as stated, that convertibles typically have a premium, but instead you get a discount. Between the 718 GTS 4.0 Boxster and the 718 Spyder, there's no reason to get the Boxster (in my opinion). With that said, I'm not a convertible person. I've rented one before and it wasn't for me. GT4 for me. Plus i like the wing

Quick Reply: Spyder better than GT4?