Notices
718 GTS 4.0/GT4/GT4RS/Spyder/25th Anniversary Discussions about the 718 version of the GT4RS, GTS 4.0, GT4, Spyder and 25th Anniversary Boxster
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By: Cobb

GT4 Atlanta PEC Delivery Experience

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-2020, 08:02 PM
blackholescion
Pro

Received 198 Likes on 107 Posts
Default GT4 Atlanta PEC Delivery Experience

This is a review of picking up my GT4 at the PEC in Atlanta. I didn't take as many pictures as I could have because I wanted to enjoy the experience more than document the experience. I was the first GT4 delivery at the Atlanta PEC. If you're on the fence about PEC delivery, just do it. It's worth every dollar.

For those who don't know, the Atlanta PEC does two deliveries per day. Not two blocks of time. Two cars. With COVID, they have been doing more like 2 deliveries a week. I'm sure their norm is treating you like royatly, but they really treat you like royalty.

I drove up about 30 minutes before my delivery time so I didn't feel rushed. As you drive into the parking lot, you are greeted with all sorts of cars in the deck and the first thing I saw was this:

Certainly an entrance.

Upon walking in, I checked my heart rate.

They also have some models of the facility and cars parked throughout. Aventurine Green is my new favorite color.

At 09:00 sharp, I was met by my instructor, Chris, who walked me through to the track. Up until this point, they weren't sure if they were going to have a GT4 for me to drive because their vehicle was stuck at port. I has requested a GT3 instead for the driving portion (because of the N/A motor), and Porsche offered to give me a voucher to come back and do a GT4 drive at my convenience. Props to them. However, it wasn't necessary. Their GT4 arrived the night before and was prepped for me. 18 ways so that "everyone would fit" LOL. Black on Black on Yellow stitching.

After seeing the car I'd be piloting, Chris and I chatted about my goals for the track driving portion and I took delivery of mine. This is where my phone stayed in my pocket.

Chris (the instructor) and Kathy (the organizer) were fantastic. Several areas were closed to the public (classic restoration shop and the museum) but I was able to go into the museum and see the cars on display. The restoration shop was off limits. They had a GT4CS there. I asked if I could drive it around the track instead, but they declined due to insurance reasons. Had to try . They also had a 917 along with several cars in the process of or just having been restored and a couple more race cars of various eras, including an INDY car. That one time Porsche went INDY racing. There aren't many cars in there but it's still a neat place to visit and look.

After I got a tour of the place, it was time to take delivery. Porsche gives you two keychains. If you're doing PEC delivery and want the crest over leather keychain, don't buy it . During the actual delivery portion, Kathy walked around and took pictures. Some sweet action shots. I didn't want to be the dude with a polo and shorts or pants (and definitely not one with a pink polo and white pants like in Saint Louis...... ), so I channeled my inner Magnus Walker and wore my finest Eddie T-Shirt. (N95 = high risk)

Taking the cover off was surreal. After 2.5 years of deposit placement and 20 years of driving Porsche's in video games, I had my own. I just sat and enjoyed the experience and the craftsmanship. The leather quality. The stitching. The Alcantara. It was incredible. Chris showed me around the car, we paired my phone, went through the menus, chatted some more. Honestly, I was overwhelmed.

I was the 992nd delivery at PEC Atlanta.

I also signed their board, where they have everyone sign and write a little blurb. I'm in the club!

Once I got the run down, we went out for the drive where the others who had only booked drive experiences waited. I felt like a VIP because we walked from around the back of the building, where the garages are, instead of congregating with everyone else. Little did I know it would get even better.

The driving portion was very good and very fun. We spent the most time on car control dynamics and being smooth on the track. I'm a terrible driver. The driving was set up in a lead-folow due to COVID. It was good being able to see Chris's lines but I got tunnel vision and probably wasn't able to focus as much on improving as I would have had he been in the car. Still, it was great. We drove the track for a few laps, broke off to do the polished concrete go kart track, more laps, slalom, more laps, launching/braking, more laps, repeat, etc. Chris really focused on avoiding the crowds. when one or two more cars arrived at the thing we were doing, we would leave and go somewhere else. He really helped maximize the 90 minutes. It felt like a really long time. After what felt like an hour, he came on the radio and went "alright, we are 30 minutes in, get some water, pace yourself".

The best part, hands down, was the kick plate. This is a plate you drive over and it kicks the rear end out in a random direction (I can't confirm, but I think there's a pattern). It does this over a watered down portion of the track (like a water skid pad). Anyway, the faster you go, the more violent the kick. After the kick, these pylons also come out of the ground and the idea is you save the rear and then drive around or drift around the pylons. I of course lost the car the first time. The second time, it snapped the other direction so I lost it again but by the third time, I was saving it. 20MPH, then 24 then traction control off, then 28. it really helped me with fast hands, feeling the car, and knowing what to do. By the fourth time and turning off traction control, I was having a ton of fun and Chris was there encouraging and egging me on. "I heard you use throttle, use more of it". I was able to transition from side to side "mad tite drift yo" by the end. Very confidence inspiring, as this is my first Porsche and first mid engine, though I've driven them before. I don't have any video because I was driving and I didn't want to distract myself during any of this with a gopro or anything like that.

Based on the track driving experience (and other experience with Porsche NA during and after my visit), this is a car I will never sell. I truly believe it's the best sports car at any price point. A GT3 is faster, but I wouldn't call it as good of a sports car. It loses some of that connected feeling. The telepathy. Is a GT3 a better car? Maybe. Probably. But it's not a mid engine GT4. It doesn't move me the same way a GT4 (or really any Cayman) does on back roads before transitioning to the track. As reviewers have said, this car feels like a worn glove. It is an extension of me. I was sad to sell my M2 because I had always said I never planned on selling it. That was a great car. But the GT4 is just on another level and will be in my garage for decades, short of driving bans or totalling it.

Anyway, once all that was done, I was shown where my car was parked (front and center in the deck, right next to the door you walk in to get in the building).

I was then taken to the restaurant. Restaurant 356 is closed during COVID for all except those taking delivery. Remember how I said 2 deliveries a week now? Well, I had the place to myself. My own personal chef, waiter, and restaurant. doesn't get more VIP than that!

Kathy came by with some more gifts (hat, mug, pen/pad, soap) and a flash drive containing all the pictures. We chatted, I ate my food. I got a picture of the first plate but destroyed the rest, @mooty style. Sorry for no pics. Salad + flat iron steak + chocolate mousse cake. I was never rushed and encouraged to hang out for as long as I wanted.

This was my view.

The next driving session was at 14:00, and I would have loved to stay and watch from my vantage point, but it was time to grab the car and take off for the maiden voyage..... To be continued....

The car is currently at @Detailed Designs getting PPF + ceramic coating. Due to life events, it's going to live there a while (multiple months) so I don't have further driving impressions. All I can say is, PEC delivery was a blast, and I can't wait to go back for more driving experiences and to become a better nut behind the wheel. Thanks to Kathy, Chris, and Jean-Claude for making my day incredible. This is my first Porsche. It won't be my last. In fact, I think I won't personally own another car without that crest.

Last edited by blackholescion; 07-09-2020 at 11:37 PM. Reason: more pictures
The following 20 users liked this post by blackholescion:
2XIPA (07-09-2020), BMB-23 (07-12-2020), CDACH (07-11-2020), FASTRKMAN (07-10-2020), Gatch (07-11-2020), GTChamp (07-10-2020), halfmonkey (07-09-2020), iliveoncaffiene (07-10-2020), Jellybean (07-27-2020), JSF101 (07-09-2020), kmh0277 (10-05-2022), masti99 (07-10-2020), NeilF (07-13-2020), NFSF (07-09-2020), paddlefoot64 (07-09-2020), Rxpert (07-10-2020), RyuBraska (07-09-2020), TYPE911 (07-09-2020), wcw67 (07-09-2020), wingless (07-15-2022) and 15 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 07-09-2020, 08:28 PM
wcw67
Instructor

Received 70 Likes on 38 Posts

Incredible write up! Absolutely loved it. I did Euro Delivery on my '16 M3 and was awesome. Thought of doing PEC delivery with my GT4, but didn't want to add more time till delivery! Have you posted this elsewhere? I'd love to send it to my wife lol. Also, the Martini covered 992. My company did that work a few months ago My car is supposed to be at my dealership by the end of this month. It too will be my first Porsche. I've driven a lot of exotics, but for me Porsche is where it's at Congrats and great color combo!!!
The following users liked this post:
blackholescion (07-09-2020)
Old 07-09-2020, 08:35 PM
matttheboatman
Rennlist Member

Received 610 Likes on 235 Posts

Excellent report Blackhole! It is the same format as the Euro delivery in Leipzig. Brings back some fond memories. I can remember waking up early that morning. I did not have a heart rate monitor but I think that pic encapsulates it well! Drive in good health my friend.
Old 07-09-2020, 09:51 PM
blackholescion
Pro

Originally Posted by wcw67
Incredible write up! Absolutely loved it. I did Euro Delivery on my '16 M3 and was awesome. Thought of doing PEC delivery with my GT4, but didn't want to add more time till delivery! Have you posted this elsewhere? I'd love to send it to my wife lol. Also, the Martini covered 992. My company did that work a few months ago My car is supposed to be at my dealership by the end of this month. It too will be my first Porsche. I've driven a lot of exotics, but for me Porsche is where it's at Congrats and great color combo!!!
I haven’t posted elsewhere. Feel free to send it on!

PEC only delayed my pickup by 2.5 weeks. Pretty confident because COVID.

It would have been less but I didn’t email to confirm my time slot in time. Oops.
Old 07-09-2020, 09:53 PM
lovetoturn
Burning Brakes

Received 898 Likes on 460 Posts

My son and I did Euro-delivery 7 years ago in Stuttgart. They did not have the track, but the factory tour, 911 50th anniversary museum display, wonderful food, and amazing hospitality will never be forgotten.

Their motto is so true in so many ways, "Porsche, there is no substitute".
Old 07-09-2020, 09:58 PM
bmw_e30
Rennlist Member

Received 174 Likes on 113 Posts

i sense the excitement in the post. i remember i was the same way when i bought my first porsche about a decade ago
Old 07-09-2020, 10:03 PM
needmoregarage
Rennlist Member

Received 1,330 Likes on 570 Posts

Congrats and enjoy for many miles in the best of health.
Great write up. Thanks for sharing!
Old 07-09-2020, 10:08 PM
bradStyle
Instructor

Received 152 Likes on 51 Posts

AWESOME. I just signed up for PEC in Los Angeles for my pickup in December. I'm curious, because of COVID, since the instructors are riding in different cars, do you see any reason my fiancee couldn't ride along? Otherwise I'm considering seeing if I can pay for us to each do a back-to-back session.
Old 07-09-2020, 10:13 PM
2XIPA
Burning Brakes

Received 314 Likes on 214 Posts

Wow, just wow. Made my day reading about your experience. Congrats! I'm gonna have to do PECLA with my daughter.
The following 2 users liked this post by 2XIPA:
blackholescion (07-09-2020), wcw67 (07-10-2020)
Old 07-09-2020, 11:31 PM
blackholescion
Pro

Originally Posted by bradStyle
AWESOME. I just signed up for PEC in Los Angeles for my pickup in December. I'm curious, because of COVID, since the instructors are riding in different cars, do you see any reason my fiancee couldn't ride along? Otherwise I'm considering seeing if I can pay for us to each do a back-to-back session.
No reason she couldn't do a ride along. It's still a long day and the 90 minutes feels like forever, but I would highly recommend heading back out in the afternoon for a second session! You can pay for your guest to have their own driving experience. It would be at the same time yours is, with a different instructor. I recommend this over sharing the car so you can each get the full 90 minutes.

Originally Posted by 2XIPA
Wow, just wow. Made my day reading about your experience. Congrats! I'm gonna have to do PECLA with my daughter.
I can't recommend it enough. It's a great time!
bradStyle (07-10-2020)
Old 07-09-2020, 11:47 PM
4MIDABLE
Racer

Received 327 Likes on 152 Posts

Congrats! Glad to see you enjoyed it and had I known how absolutely amazing GR with Arum wheels looks, I would have spec'd it.
Reading your post, it makes me a little sad that my Euro Delivery in Leipzig was cancelled due to COVID.
Ah well...on the bright side I got an email this morning from my SA...it simply said "Your car has arrived." F-yeah!
blackholescion (07-10-2020)
Old 07-09-2020, 11:48 PM
kart125
Burning Brakes

Received 501 Likes on 259 Posts

Congrats on your new ride blackholescion! This is the perfect "before bedtime" read to make nice dreams!
Old 07-10-2020, 12:00 AM
RyuBraska
Instructor

Received 79 Likes on 44 Posts

Wow that looks awesome. It's great reading your experience, especially since my ED got cancelled
Old 07-10-2020, 12:06 AM
The Pinkoboe
Rennlist Member

Received 217 Likes on 71 Posts

Beautiful car.

Up the Irons!
Old 07-10-2020, 08:40 AM
FASTRKMAN
Rennlist Member

Received 452 Likes on 247 Posts

Thanks blackholescion for sharing your story great way to start my day!

Quick Reply: GT4 Atlanta PEC Delivery Experience