Notices
718 GTS 4.0/GT4/GT4RS/Spyder/25th Anniversary Discussions about the 718 version of the GT4RS, GTS 4.0, GT4, Spyder and 25th Anniversary Boxster
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By: Cobb

Very interesting read for people debating between PCCB and Iron rotors

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-2020, 01:15 PM
Underblu
Banned

Received 574 Likes on 217 Posts
Default Very interesting read for people debating between PCCB and Iron rotors

I may look into the these for my 718 Spyder. The weight savings of ceramics without their fragility, pedal feel, and track based wear issues.

Originally Posted by JRitt@essex
. . . Disc material choice in racing is defined by the rule set. Carbon-carbon is used when budget isn't of much concern, and iron is the clear choice when the series is trying to keep prices out of the stratosphere. The carbon brakes currently being used in professional racing are carbon/carbon (abbreviated C/C), which is actually a different material vs. the carbon ceramic discs used on road cars. The carbon ceramic brake discs on road cars are a Carbon Ceramic Matrix (CCM). In recent times many professional racing series (F1, ALMS, IRL, etc.) have switched to carbon/carbon brake discs in an effort to reduce weight. Carbon/Carbon is an outstanding lightweight material for racing, but requires heat before it starts to generate usable friction. As such, they're completely ill-suited to a typical morning commute in a road car!

In our opinion carbon ceramic discs (which is what PCCB discs are) are not well-suited for racetrack use. There is no doubt in my mind that alternative materials are the future of brake disc design. Based on all of our testing however, carbon ceramic discs in their current state of development cannot perform at the same level and offer all of the benefits of iron discs. Even though their development has come a long way, they still have a laundry list of pitfalls when taken on the track. The biggest problem is that they tend to oxidize at track temperatures, showing rough surface eruptions on the disc face. They also tend to run considerably hotter than iron when all else is held equal, they are horribly expensive to replace or resurface, they can only be run with an expensive and limited range of pads, they have poor feel, and they are more damage-prone than iron.

Personally, I have no idea why anyone tracking their car would want carbon ceramic discs. While I was working at StopTech over ten years ago, we tested continuous strand carbon ceramic discs on my C5 Z06 from an aftermarket manufacturer that is currently being touted on this forum. I destroyed them in a single afternoon at Buttonwillow. We therefore decided not to offer them to our customers as a viable, track-capable solution, because they weren't. Ever since, I have been extremely skeptical of the CCM technology for racetrack use. Based on what we see in other markets, that situation hasn't changed. The newer discs are better, but still not on par with iron for track use. We see it in a slew of other markets...Ferrari, Lambo, Corvette, Camaro, BMW M, Audi RS, etc. The very first thing our exotic fleet customers do when they obtain a new car is convert the carbon ceramic discs to AP Racing iron, and save themselves a small fortune in the process.

I think the problem with the "buying the best" concept is that people are misguided. They simply don't know any better, and frankly, it's really not their fault. The manufacturer does everything possible to align their road car with their race cars, and they sell carbon ceramic as 'race-derived technology.' The person sees carbon-carbon discs on the racecar variant of their chassis, and they believe it's the same thing that is on their car, and that it's the best possible option. Unfortunately, it's not.

Iron discs have been proven over and over for decades to be capable of winning races like Le Mans. They just did it again, so why would you need or want anything different? The key benefits of carbon ceramic discs are 1) unsprung weight savings, and 2) that they last for an incredibly long time when driven around on the street. They [carbon ceramics] are inferior in just about every other way for how our customers actually use them...as noted above, they cost more, they run hotter, they're more fragile, offer less pad compatibility, etc. Since our iron system offers a similar weight savings as carbon ceramic discs mated to stock calipers, there is no significant weight advantage to the carbon ceramics. If you're planning to track the car, then the 'lasting forever on the street' benefit is essentially meaningless as well. Therefore, iron makes a whole lot of sense.

If you want cutting-edge technology and exclusivity, the Radi-CAL is far more in that vein than CCM discs. No other manufacturer offers a similar caliper, and they are truly race-proven parts, not 'race-inspired.' We're offering something that is incredibly similar to what just won Le Mans, and the Radi-CAL owner club is far more exclusive than the carbon ceramic club these days. Every major manufacturer seems to be offering carbon ceramics on their road cars. I think I saw a Kia with them on my lunch break yesterday!

The following 2 users liked this post by Underblu:
Bob Rouleau (07-27-2020), Croc999 (07-13-2020)
Old 07-12-2020, 01:52 PM
usctrojanGT3
Rennlist Member

Received 3,814 Likes on 2,174 Posts

Plus I can't use 19 inch track wheels with PCCB sized rotors. It's a no brainer to pick steel rotors for a car that will hit the track plus I like red calipers more than yellow calipers.
The following users liked this post:
JRitt@essex (07-24-2020)
Old 07-12-2020, 04:18 PM
Archimedes
Race Director

Received 3,858 Likes on 1,902 Posts

You do realize that the guy writing that is selling the competitive product, so he isn’t actually unbiased, right?

If they don’t perform as well or offer better feel than the stock iron brakes, why do manufacturers like Porsche always run a PCCB car when they want to set a lap time? And why do tests show they fade way less than the stock iron rotors?

I buy his cost argument but I don’t buy his performance argument.
AlexCeres (07-12-2020)
Old 07-12-2020, 07:37 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

Received 3,457 Likes on 2,260 Posts

Originally Posted by Archimedes
You do realize that the guy writing that is selling the competitive product, so he isn’t actually unbiased, right?

If they don’t perform as well or offer better feel than the stock iron brakes, why do manufacturers like Porsche always run a PCCB car when they want to set a lap time? And why do tests show they fade way less than the stock iron rotors?

my thoughts exactly

Old 07-12-2020, 07:41 PM
IPSA
Rennlist Member

Received 202 Likes on 100 Posts

Weight and they get the parts for free.

PCCB's don't survive long on the track.
JRitt@essex (07-24-2020)
Old 07-12-2020, 07:47 PM
worf928
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1,545 Likes on 1,008 Posts

Originally Posted by IPSA

IMO this —^. You get the big-a$$ed PCCB calipers and thus when you want to go iron for track day’s you’ve already got a ‘big brake kit.’

Old 07-12-2020, 08:27 PM
Flacht6MT
Instructor

Received 40 Likes on 28 Posts

@Underblu great post, PCCB fanbois butts will be hurt though...see them come out of the wood work on this one

I do think this guy is biased as he sells a competitive product, but his rationale seems logical and could verify with some footwork. Any pro driver / race engineer on this forum would be able to pick it apart if it wasn't true - where did you find the original post? Would be a great read as a whole.

I don't know anyone who uses PCCBs for frequent/regular track use, even if that's the intended reason to buy these...

So let me get this right, people buy PCCBs because:
a) money is no object (great, mazel tov!)...and you hate brake dust so $8k premium is worth it!

b) they think PCCBs are the 'best' but want to pay another $3k on top for Girodiscs to run at track (not waste the Carbon Cerams) for a grand total of $11k? I'm sure it helps in resale, but you're not getting $8k back...so people are banking in $11k for the next owner to enjoy them?
Hmmmm...but hey if that floats one's boat, by all means...the second hand GT4 crowd will thank you for it.

c) oh, because it's so much lighter and you feel that all the time? hmmmm...doubt that. It's definitely lighter, but doubt the avg. person can feel or appreciate it.

d) because they're better than iron brakes on the daily? but apparently above they're not...and we all know 380mm irons for a Cayman level car are more than adequate.

Last edited by Flacht6MT; 07-12-2020 at 08:48 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by Flacht6MT:
Gatch (07-12-2020), Underblu (07-12-2020)
Old 07-12-2020, 08:34 PM
Underblu
Banned

i have a friend who owns a Porsche dealership. I bought my first new Porsche from him in 1998. Almost every time I’ve ordered a car from him he’s talked me out of PCCBs. I kinda had a suspicion they are more street performance jewelry than serious race tech.

While the guy who wrote the article may not be unbiased, there have been many unbiased posts on this very forum that concur with many of his assessments. Once you mitigate the weight savings of PCCBs, all the other advantages skew heavily in favor of Iron rotors for competitive driving.

So i guess Porsche is unbiased and wouldn’t run their cars with their most premium options. Lol.

Afaik, there isn’t a plurality of actual data points that document faster laptimes with PCCBs over their iron counterparts. But hey by all means, buy what makes you happy.

Gatch (07-12-2020)
Old 07-12-2020, 08:43 PM
Flacht6MT
Instructor

Originally Posted by Underblu
i have a friend who owns a Porsche dealership. I bought my first new Porsche from him in 1998. Almost every time I’ve ordered a car from him he’s talked me out of PCCBs. I kinda had a suspicion they are more street performance jewelry than serious race tech.

While the guy who wrote the article may not be unbiased, there have been many unbiased posts on this very forum that concur with many of his assessments. Once you mitigate the weight savings of PCCBs, all the other advantages skew heavily in favor of Iron rotors for competitive driving.
+1 then there's the headache of this happening..big ouch...I don't know about anyone else, but the canyon / b-roads I drive aren't devoid of little rocks.
https://rennlist.com/forums/991-gt3-...ghtmare-2.html
Old 07-12-2020, 08:55 PM
Gatch
Instructor

Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by Flacht6MT
d) because they're better than iron brakes on the daily? but apparently above they're not...and we all know 380mm irons for a Cayman level car are more than adequate.
Absolutely this. I'm beyond excited for 380mm discs front & rear considering my 981 Cayman GTS has 330/299mm front/rear and I'm consistently amazed with their performance.
Old 07-12-2020, 09:06 PM
Archimedes
Race Director

Originally Posted by IPSA

Thats my point. The issue is cost, not performance. And if you search over on the GT3 forum you’ll find threads containing actual experience of people tracking the Gen III PCCBs extensively. They don’t last the 100k you might get on the street, but they don’t disintegrate in one track day like this guy says.
Old 07-12-2020, 09:08 PM
Underblu
Banned

Thanks Flacht6MT, I appreciate the compliment, although you should probably thank the knowledgable guy who wrote it lol. I’m certainly not trying to hurt anyone’s feelings. All of Porsche’s braking options provide superlative stopping power afaic. Rather, I do think it is an interesting topic and the article is clearly well written by someone who appears to have a lot of real world racing experience. I

@Underblu great post, PCCB fanbois butts will be hurt though...see them come out of the wood work on this one

I do think this guy is biased as he sells a competitive product, but his rationale seems logical and could verify with some footwork. Any pro driver / race engineer on this forum would be able to pick it apart if it wasn't true - where did you find the original post? Would be a great read as a whole.

I don't know anyone who uses PCCBs for frequent/regular track use, even if that's the intended reason to buy these...

a) money is no object (great, mazel tov!)...and you hate brake dust so $8k premium is worth it!

b) they think PCCBs are the 'best' but want to pay another $3k on top for Girodiscs to run at track (not waste the Carbon Cerams) for a grand total of $11k? I'm sure it helps in resale, but you're not getting $8k back...so people are banking in $11k for the next owner to enjoy them?
Hmmmm...but hey if that floats one's boat, by all means...the second hand GT4 crowd will thank you for it.

c) oh, because it's so much lighter and you feel that all the time? hmmmm...doubt that. It's definitely lighter, but doubt the avg. person can feel or appreciate it.

Old 07-12-2020, 09:15 PM
Archimedes
Race Director

Originally Posted by Underblu

So i guess Porsche is unbiased and wouldn’t run their cars with their most premium options. Lol.
y.
Porsche has a vested interest in showing off the lowest lap time possible, and if they could do that with iron rotors, they absolutely would.

And please show me ‘unbiased posts’ with actual performance data, because the few comparisons I’ve seen with actual test data shows the PCCBs outperforming the iron. Opinions are like you know what...

Do you think Porsche puts PCCBs on all the press cars that get thrashed all day lap after lap after lap because they overheat and have poor feel?

And as far as your salesman’s opinion, I think I’d rather take the opinions of folks like Randy Pobst and Earl Bambier when it comes to Porsche brakes, both of whom have raved about how the PCCBs perform on track.

I’m sure there are high end aftermarket braking systems that will outperform the stock PCCBs on the track, but not the stock iron rotors. The only reason to track the stock iron over the PCCBs is cost.
RolloGigolo (07-12-2020)
Old 07-12-2020, 09:32 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

Received 3,457 Likes on 2,260 Posts
Red face

Do you think using pejorative language like this is really called for on a forum where we are supposed to be sharing an interest in Porsche cars ...

I'm going to stop here ... because I might say something you might find personally offensive.
Old 07-12-2020, 09:43 PM
Flacht6MT
Instructor

Originally Posted by Larry Cable
Do you think using pejorative language like this is really called for on a forum where we are supposed to be sharing an interest in Porsche cars ...

I'm going to stop here ... because I might say something you might find personally offensive.
Just a little humor. My bad.
The following 2 users liked this post by Flacht6MT:
DFW01TT (07-12-2020), Foggy916 (07-13-2020)

Quick Reply: Very interesting read for people debating between PCCB and Iron rotors