Notices
718 GTS 4.0/GT4/GT4RS/Spyder/25th Anniversary Discussions about the 718 version of the GT4RS, GTS 4.0, GT4, Spyder and 25th Anniversary Boxster
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By: Cobb

Considering Selling My 718 GT4... Is Anyone Else?

Search this Thread

Old 09-21-2020, 10:09 PM
cSurf
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by wizee
Your experience is pretty much the opposite of mine. While the exhaust flap control logic that closes them between 1800-5000 in first and 1800-3700 in other gears sucks, stock sound with the valves open is pretty nice (like my 987 but louder and higher revving), though I’d admit the 981 sounded better (unnecessary crackles aside). Your comparison to a Cayenne sounds bizarre - Cayennes with PSE don’t sound anything like this stock. In terms of acceleration/power, your comments don’t really make sense to me at all. There’s practically zero lag (well a few milliseconds electronic throttle lag, but that’s negligible and present in every car of the last 20 years). Low end torque feels great to me, and it feels much stronger than 987 S, 981 S, and 718 base models at every RPM range. Above 5000 RPM, it’s faster than every 987/981/982 variant, and feels pretty close in acceleration to my previous AMG GT S.

Your Testarossa and 981 S feeling faster off the line makes no sense whatsoever. First gear just grips and pins you to the back of your seat violently in this car, much more so than either of those, and goes up to 80 km/h (50 mph). If your car doesn’t, something is wrong with the car, or you’ve forgotten how the others feel and have somehow gotten used to AWD EV launches. When you have the G meter view turned on, and floor it in first gear, how much acceleration do you get? It should be around 0.7 to 0.8 G (traction limited) all the way from 2000 RPM to redline.
I think the OP is right. My 718 Spyder is a huge step down from the 981 it replaced. Considerably less emotive. I feel every bit of the extra ~300lbs, the GPF/OPF makes it sound like my old wrangler at idle and worse, it’s constantly battling it’s own exhaust/dB-limit programming (valves opening and closing at terrifically annoying moments). It’s a real shame.

if anyone is interested in a GT Silver Spyder, carbon buckets, carbon trim, full PPF, DM me.
The following users liked this post:
kyrocks (09-22-2020)
Old 09-21-2020, 10:16 PM
Poupon McArr
Racer

Received 131 Likes on 81 Posts

Originally Posted by cSurf
I think the OP is right. My 718 Spyder is a huge step down from the 981 it replaced. Considerably less emotive. I feel every bit of the extra ~300lbs, the GPF/OPF makes it sound like my old wrangler at idle and worse, it’s constantly battling it’s own exhaust/dB-limit programming (valves opening and closing at terrifically annoying moments). It’s a real shame.

if anyone is interested in a GT Silver Spyder, carbon buckets, carbon trim, full PPF, DM me.
terrible car, worse options. Won’t sell
AlexCeres (09-21-2020)
Old 09-21-2020, 10:33 PM
John Ferguson
Instructor

Received 26 Likes on 23 Posts

The long MT gearing is an issue, PDK cars with shorter gearing are faster. Those with their heads in the sand are in denial.

PDK driver, "I want to go fast". MT driver, "I want to go slower (but I'll tell everyone I'm having more fun)."
Old 09-21-2020, 10:45 PM
rzspyder
Rennlist Member

Received 129 Likes on 59 Posts

Originally Posted by John Ferguson
The long MT gearing is an issue, PDK cars with shorter gearing are faster. Those with their heads in the sand are in denial.

PDK driver, "I want to go fast". MT driver, "I want to go slower (but I'll tell everyone I'm having more fun)."
Hmm, this is not an accurate statement. I’m genuinely having a lot of fun, and I actually think I’m going pretty fast. There are surely faster cars and the PDK is faster but I don’t give a damn about it. I’m also very happy with the gearing. It’s all preference and certainly one cannot characterize it as being in denial.
The following 3 users liked this post by rzspyder:
AlexCeres (09-21-2020), ISPYA718 (09-21-2020), wizee (09-22-2020)
Old 09-21-2020, 11:07 PM
Sausage416
Pro

Received 334 Likes on 168 Posts

718 spyder is terrible...
AlexCeres (09-21-2020)
Old 09-21-2020, 11:08 PM
Archimedes
Race Director

Received 3,858 Likes on 1,902 Posts

Originally Posted by John Ferguson

7 mph, huge difference...

Then again PDK does free up the right hand to scratch...
CaymanMatt (09-22-2020)
Old 09-21-2020, 11:17 PM
needmoregarage
Rennlist Member

Received 1,330 Likes on 570 Posts

It’s always interesting that some folks can’t accept that others feel differently and have to proclaim judgement.

Who cares if I hate tall gearing or don’t mind tall gearing and find it acceptable. How does my preference matter to anyone but me?
And as long as I’m stating my opinion and not trying to convince everyone I’m right (and they are wrong if they disagree) - why am I labeled as “in denial” with “head in the sand” because my beloved GT4 gearing is not perceived by me as an issue.

If I didn’t like it I wouldn’t be 4+ years in with 22k+ miles.

Can’t we all just get along? Gee whiz...
The following 5 users liked this post by needmoregarage:
arek (09-22-2020), RolloGigolo (09-22-2020), rzspyder (09-21-2020), sonicworld (04-03-2021), VEGAM (09-23-2020)
Old 09-22-2020, 12:01 AM
spyderphile
Three Wheelin'

Received 99 Likes on 79 Posts

Do you live in Europe? If you're, deleting GPF/OPF isn't an option as it's an emission device; you'll void the warranty and fail the regs. However, if you're in RoW, there're solutions. Don't turn on cylinder deactivation, open the valves, delete GPF and replace the muffler. The sound is back! However, I'm not sure if we heard a car with all these mods done; so, not sure how will it sound as compared to 981 gen.
Old 09-22-2020, 12:06 AM
wizee
Rennlist Member

Received 823 Likes on 452 Posts

I can understand you not liking the OPF muting the sound and the exhaust valve programming that tries to meet European regulations. OPF delete pipes and a exhaust flap controller module can solve those issues.

As for the “extra 300 lbs”, that’s not true. The weight increase is actually around 120 lbs for the Spyder, and 90 lbs for the GT4.
AlexCeres (09-22-2020)
Old 09-22-2020, 12:23 AM
kyrocks
Rennlist Member

Received 390 Likes on 205 Posts

I have had 15 Porsches. I kinda agree with the OP and respect everyone’s opinions.
I think if you’ve had a manual GT3 or 981 GT4/spyder this car is not as special. For those who haven’t had many Porsches or if this is your first it is a magnificent car. It’s all perspective. In my opinion, it needs more sound (working on it) and needs more OEM power (I’m not into gaining more though). The spyder looks phenomenal but the drive and sound does not live up to its looks. I’m sorry, I’m old fashioned I guess, but the car needs to be more raw. Don’t get me wrong, I still like the car, but my expectations were higher. In the end, it’s still a Boxster. A pretty good one.
legato (09-27-2020)
Old 09-22-2020, 12:29 AM
Archimedes
Race Director

Originally Posted by kyrocks
I have had 15 Porsches. I kinda agree with the OP and respect everyone’s opinions.
I think if you’ve had a manual GT3 or 981 GT4/spyder this car is not as special.
I owned five Porsches before this one, including a 981 Spyder, and this 718 GT4 is a better car than any of them. Looks better, performs noticeably better in terms of power and handling, and sounds better on the gas.

Which 718 do you have, the GT4 or the Spyder?
AlexCeres (09-22-2020)
Old 09-22-2020, 12:54 AM
kyrocks
Rennlist Member

Received 390 Likes on 205 Posts

Spyder
Old 09-22-2020, 01:04 AM
wizee
Rennlist Member

Received 823 Likes on 452 Posts

I think if you’ve had a manual GT3 or 981 GT4/spyder this car is not as special. For those who haven’t had many Porsches or if this is your first it is a magnificent car. It’s all perspective. In my opinion, it needs more sound (working on it) and needs more OEM power (I’m not into gaining more though). The spyder looks phenomenal but the drive and sound does not live up to its looks. I’m sorry, I’m old fashioned I guess, but the car needs to be more raw. Don’t get me wrong, I still like the car, but my expectations were higher. In the end, it’s still a Boxster. A pretty good one.
Compared to a manual 991.2 GT3, there’s no question the (982) 718 GT4/Spyder is lacking in sound and power, but that shouldn’t be a surprise to anyone. Nothing short of a high revving naturally aspirated V10 or V12 sounds better than a GT3.

Sound is less than 981 GT4/Spyder too, with lower volume due to OPFs, and much more restrictive exhaust flap control logic. With the flaps open, I’m generally satisfied with the sound in the cabin, though of course a GT3 still sounds better.

I think the exhaust flap control logic (driven by new European regulations) is the biggest detractor of enjoyment on this car. I don’t know why they carried over the European noise limiting logic to North America, though something like a Soul or Cargraphic flap control module can fix it.

For my usage, I don’t need any more peak power, its fast enough at every speed, and the gearing is good enough for me. However, I would enjoy a little more shove around 40-70 km/h in second, and 100-150 km/h in third. Second is longer than necessary for back roads, but a little short for highway passing, and third is rather long for highway passing. Making gears 2 and 3 substantially shorter (say 115 and 155 km/h instead of 136 and 189 km/h) would give more shove around town, on back roads, and in highway passing. Gears 4 and 5 could be slightly shortened accordingly (say 205 and 265 km/h) to still allow fairly good performance going up to the top speed. The DeMan/Guard “4.5L Gears” are pretty close to that, doing 122 km/h in second, and 168 km/h in third.

Last edited by wizee; 09-22-2020 at 01:24 AM.
Old 09-22-2020, 01:07 AM
tthellott T
Instructor

Received 56 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by rzspyder
Hmm, this is not an accurate statement. I’m genuinely having a lot of fun, and I actually think I’m going pretty fast. There are surely faster cars and the PDK is faster but I don’t give a damn about it. I’m also very happy with the gearing. It’s all preference and certainly one cannot characterize it as being in denial.
To clarify a bit more,
on paper, PDK is faster 0-100, but slower 100-200km
Old 09-22-2020, 01:18 AM
Archimedes
Race Director

Spyder
How could it be more ‘raw’?

And why do you still have it if you’re disappointed?

Quick Reply: Considering Selling My 718 GT4... Is Anyone Else?