Notices
718 GTS 4.0/GT4/GT4RS/Spyder/25th Anniversary Discussions about the 718 version of the GT4RS, GTS 4.0, GT4, Spyder and 25th Anniversary Boxster
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By: Cobb

My new to me Spyder and air cooled siblings

Search this Thread

Old 11-10-2020, 11:09 AM
luv2race
Rennlist Member

Received 418 Likes on 212 Posts

Originally Posted by JZ98-993
Amazing collection! I’ve been thinking about leaving the air cooled world for a bit and the Spyder has caught my attention. Curious on your feedback, how does the Spyder stack up if you could only have one? My use case is weekend only car on backroads, I like the idea of a more modern platform but fear I will miss the visceral nature of the air cooled. Really would be interested in your owners perspective if it checks all the boxes. Thx!
I should add if you are ever in the Philadelphia area ping me and you can take my Spyder for a spin. You will love it!
Old 11-10-2020, 11:20 AM
gt3racerich
Racer

Received 19 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by luv2race
Interesting you say that, the first person I asked about an Atlas lift said it wasn’t his favorite. I found out they were an authorized dealer for another lift company and although they sold Atlas they sold a lot more of the other brand. I started looking up reviews and I talked to two installers and both said for my purpose (holding a Porsche) the Atlas was a good option. It was $300 cheaper than the other lift being recommended but had similar reviews. I’ve had the lift for several months and it has been great with one exception. The yellow plastic guards at the base of the ramps both cracked. I contacted the installer and Atlas sent two replacements within a few days. The lift has been great otherwise.
Thank you for the reply.
The Atlas lift seems similar to others that are more money. Also, the Atlas is ALI certified and some of the other more expensive lifts are not. The installer I talked with does like to sell more expensive lifts as well.
I don't mean to turn this into a lift thread but could I ask who you dealt with (I think I am not that far from you) and what the installed price was. You can PM me if you like.
Three great cars by the way and thanks again.
Old 11-10-2020, 11:29 AM
luv2race
Rennlist Member

GT3racerich, no problem here is the contact info.

Old 11-10-2020, 11:53 AM
gt3racerich
Racer

Thank you. I just sent him an Email. He is pretty close.
Old 11-10-2020, 12:10 PM
luv2race
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by gt3racerich
Thank you. I just sent him an Email. He is pretty close.
Good luck and you can swing by Moorestown if you want to check out my lift one day. It’s not that exciting it just goes up and down. Ha
Old 11-10-2020, 12:27 PM
gt3racerich
Racer

Good luck and you can swing by Moorestown if you want to check out my lift one day. It’s not that exciting it just goes up and down. Ha
Is that Moorestown PA or NJ?
Old 11-10-2020, 12:44 PM
luv2race
Rennlist Member

Moorestown, NJ
Old 11-10-2020, 12:53 PM
gt3racerich
Racer

Thank you for the offer. I am not down that way often and hope to have a lift relatively soon.
Old 11-10-2020, 02:22 PM
luv2race
Rennlist Member

Good luck with your lift.
The following users liked this post:
gt3racerich (11-10-2020)
Old 11-10-2020, 04:53 PM
JZ98-993
Racer

Received 46 Likes on 32 Posts

Well as my friend who owns multiple high end dealerships and has a wonderful collection of exotics and classics likes to say “They don’t make cars like they used to....they make them infinitely better.” Haha

It’s a tough answer for me, the Spyder is an amazing car, the shifter is incredible, it’s fast, comfortable and has amazing balance. The top is easy to manage and who doesn’t love a drop top in beautiful weather. I like the sound even though its not quite as raw as my 16 was it still sounds good. I think its a great looking car and personally I much prefer the dimensions over a new Speedster which just looks incredibly long to me. I’ve read complaints that the gearing is too long and it’s a bit long but the torque pulls the car nicely and its wonderful to wind out second or third on a nice back road.

With all that said I lean towards my hot rodded 964 (pictured below). My 964 is slower but more raw, AC sucks and I have no radio in the car but on twisty back roads it’s magical. It lacks the HP and torque of a modern car so you have to stay up in revs to get the car to pull through some corners. I did a ton of suspension and brake work which are chronicled on my IG or in the 964forums. The car already has an Autometrics built 3.6 with ITB’s and a Motec. It is more visceral and stiff and and there is something cool about the air cooled culture and gatherings that I personally enjoy. Unfortunately the cost of the air cooled cars are such that my Spyder cost less than the money I have in my 964 build.

You can’t go wrong with either option and the Spyder is my favorite modern day Porsche, I just can’t let go of my air cooled cars.

This and my Spyder are my drivers.
Game over, that 964 is the business!!! You sir, have great taste!

Not to trend too far off topic, but would love to hear a bit more about the build on the 3.6. Especially the ITB set up you are running and the differences you've noticed vs. the stock set up - thx!

Last edited by JZ98-993; 11-10-2020 at 04:55 PM.
Old 11-11-2020, 11:11 AM
luv2race
Rennlist Member

JZ98-993
I purchased the car from Holt Motorsports, actually Tim procured the car because I was looking for a car that doesn’t fit their normal criteria of mostly if not all original. He knew about this car from another customer and gave me the details. You can find my initial impressions on the 964 page “modifying a good car my 92 C2 project”.

The engine was already in the car and although it pulls stronger than stock its more noticeable in the upper rev range. I don’t feel any low end gain. The car had dual exhaust at one time and it now has a stock exhaust which I believe is robbing some of the engine’s potential. I plan to send the car to Peter Dawe at Dawe’s Motorsports to tune the Motec and put a true dual exhaust on with heat retention. The car also has coil on plug and one of the coils is damaged from the exhaust being too close so all things considered it runs strong but we anticipate it will be even stronger after exhaust and an updated tune.

Quick Reply: My new to me Spyder and air cooled siblings