Notices
718 GTS 4.0/GT4/GT4RS/Spyder/25th Anniversary Discussions about the 718 version of the GT4RS, GTS 4.0, GT4, Spyder and 25th Anniversary Boxster
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By: Cobb

Track driving impressions - 2021 GT4 PDK

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-2021, 11:54 PM
mjw930
Rennlist Member

Received 378 Likes on 209 Posts

Originally Posted by evanescent03
i love manuals for spicing up street driving.... on the track I prefer PDK but I spend a lot more days NOT on track than ON track. definitely a personal problem choosing between the transmissions ... wondering if anyone feels like the PDK gets... dare I say ... boring ?? Or does the car have plenty pops, crackles, and fun with PDK also?
Nope, never gets boring unless you let it. My 2015 BGTS was the first sports car I’ve ever owned that wasn’t a manual. I bought my first sports car in 1974 and I’ve never been bored in any of them.
Old 02-09-2021, 12:07 AM
Archimedes
Race Director

Received 3,858 Likes on 1,902 Posts

They’re both great transmissions, but I’ve never been in my manual Porsche and wished it were PDK, but I have been in my PDK Porsche and wished it were manual.
The following 2 users liked this post by Archimedes:
DFW01TT (02-12-2021), evanescent03 (02-11-2021)
Old 02-11-2021, 11:37 PM
Lou L
Rennlist Member

Received 51 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by evanescent03
thanks for the review! appreciate sharing the background as it helps give perspective.

TLDR version: interested in your thoughts regarding the street enjoyment/drama of GT4+PDK in comparison to an American V8 manual, coming from an SS1LE owner.

longer version if you have time:

I’m an amateur hack of a driver who is in a Camaro SS1LE... have tangled (figuratively) with a number of GT350s on track and always have loved them. I’m currently looking to move into a 991/992 GT3 or GT4. i love the drama of the manual and V8 in my camaro but also long for the more refined Pcar experience. I did have a 718S Boxster for a short period that was really pleasant on track (Sonoma/Laguna Seca) but it kinda bored me between track days at legal speeds. The PDK was too smooth and the engine was too quiet. Lacked drama.

not sure if you drove your GT350 much on the street, but if you did, I imagine you know the drama I speak of regarding an American V8 in manual. Does the GT4 with PDK offer a good amount of excitement on the street? With some paddle shifting, the firm support of buckets and the tight handling, it seems like it should still be very fun... but still wonder if it falls short on the drama scale compared to the “muscle cars” [sic].

I’ve heard all the complaints about the manual’s tall gearing but still think that it may keep me more engaged between my track days (usually 6-10 weekends per year). If I could have a PDK for money-shift insurance and smoothness for the track and also a manual for the street I’d do that... but that’s not an option.

thanks for your input!

matt
Hey Matt, sorry I took so long to get back to you. I did drive the Shelby on the street a bit, I also upgraded the sway bars,springs etc and it was impressive on the track for a 3800 lb car, on the street it was a lot of fun between the engine screaming and the manual trans. I did get a lot of attention from the mustang/camaro boys and was always getting people wanting to race. That’s not my thing anymore and actually an annoyance to me at this point of my life. ( I’m an old fart)But I have to admit the noise and stick is intoxicating. On the street the GT4 gets a lot of looks but much less people wanting to race, a few high speed chases but again street racing not my thing. As far as engaging , I need more noise, I put on the soul over axle pipes and have the Fabspeed competition exhaust coming. I then think the level of enjoyment street wise will be similar but yet in a different way, if that makes any sense, for me at this point in my life, the GT4 does it, 20 years ago I’d probably be happier with the Shelby. Both are awesome cars, can’t go wrong with either.

Quick Reply: Track driving impressions - 2021 GT4 PDK