Notices
718 GTS 4.0/GT4/GT4RS/Spyder/25th Anniversary Discussions about the 718 version of the GT4RS, GTS 4.0, GT4, Spyder and 25th Anniversary Boxster
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By: Cobb

Paint correction on Chalk GT4?

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-2021, 03:18 PM
2XIPA
Burning Brakes

Received 314 Likes on 214 Posts

My Chalk Spyder had a few imperfections/swirls that were easily corrected. As mentioned above it's a great way to know your car. Enjoy!
Old 02-07-2021, 03:23 PM
MoeMistry
Premium Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 709 Likes on 370 Posts

Originally Posted by Racer20
I got the car on Wednesday, it looks good under my garage fluorescent lights but with my scan grip light you can see some light maring and swirls that you’d expect from a dealership prep wash.

I have the full range of lake country force hybrid pads and a selection of polishes:

M105/205
somax perfect finish
CarPro reflect and essence
3D HD Adapt
Menzerna FG400 and I think a 1500 and 4000 grit as well

The last touch up I did on my M3 I used M205 with a stiff cutting pad and it worked really well. I think I saw that tip on Larry Kosilla’s YT.
snap a few photos of areas you’re most interested in, and I can give you a recipe with the gear you have

it’ll be a little tough to get the most refined finish with the flex since it’s forced rotation, but we can make it work

ideally you’ll want a porter cable or Rupes to go with the flex

for most DIY, Rupes is sufficient for like 90+% of imperfection
Old 02-07-2021, 05:28 PM
gt3racerich
Racer

Received 19 Likes on 8 Posts

Could I ask a related question.
I picked up my Miami Blue GT4 in December. With the weather so bad I have not used it much but was able to wash it recently for the first time.
I noticed very light scuff marks (it looks like someone rubbed something against the car) in the area between the rear wheel well and the hatch (the horizontal part of the quarter panel in front of the wing).
It is very hard to see and even knowing it is there you can only see it from an angle. If you look straight at it you can not see it and it can not be seen in photos even when trying to take a picture of it. Also, if you run your fingers over the area you can not feel anything.
I ordered finishing sealant from Griots Garage as it is the least aggressive polish they have, and the recommended black pad.
I plan to do this area by hand. Will I then have to do the entire panel?
If anyone has any tips or suggestions I would greatly appreciate the info.
Thanks in advance.
Old 02-07-2021, 06:42 PM
Racer20
Instructor

Received 104 Likes on 48 Posts

Originally Posted by gt3racerich
Could I ask a related question.
I picked up my Miami Blue GT4 in December. With the weather so bad I have not used it much but was able to wash it recently for the first time.
I noticed very light scuff marks (it looks like someone rubbed something against the car) in the area between the rear wheel well and the hatch (the horizontal part of the quarter panel in front of the wing).
It is very hard to see and even knowing it is there you can only see it from an angle. If you look straight at it you can not see it and it can not be seen in photos even when trying to take a picture of it. Also, if you run your fingers over the area you can not feel anything.
I ordered finishing sealant from Griots Garage as it is the least aggressive polish they have, and the recommended black pad.
I plan to do this area by hand. Will I then have to do the entire panel?
If anyone has any tips or suggestions I would greatly appreciate the info.
Thanks in advance.
No, on a new car you can probably just do the spot that needs it. Just make sure to wax or use sealant after.
Old 02-07-2021, 07:11 PM
David2739
Intermediate

Received 65 Likes on 16 Posts

This was the state my 15 mile brand new chalk paint was in. The GT4 was a COVID orphan sitting in the showroom for a couple of months. The dealer washed it (water spots) and probably removed dust multiple times (swirls). The car was shipped from Amsterdam to Alabama afterwards. I compounded and polished the car myself using Sonax profline cutmax and perfect finish icw the Mequiars microfiber pads. I used a cheap Harbor Freight DA polisher because I can’t use 110V tools back in Europe. Don’t want to invest in expensive tools I can’t take with me. Works fine but it took me 5 days to get everything done including 3 layers of ceramic coating.
The video shows before and after compounding.

Last edited by David2739; 02-07-2021 at 07:31 PM.
Old 02-08-2021, 11:09 AM
Knutsm01
Rennlist Member

Received 172 Likes on 92 Posts

My Chalk paint has quick a few swirls and lines from the transport wrap. Had to do a professional 2 stage paint correct before PPF and Ceramic on top.
Old 02-09-2021, 10:33 AM
gt3racerich
Racer

Received 19 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Racer20
No, on a new car you can probably just do the spot that needs it. Just make sure to wax or use sealant after.
Thanks. I will probably do a test area on our SUV. I am a little hesitant to jump right in on a new car.
Old 02-09-2021, 10:56 AM
Racer20
Instructor

Received 104 Likes on 48 Posts

Originally Posted by David2739
This was the state my 15 mile brand new chalk paint was in. The GT4 was a COVID orphan sitting in the showroom for a couple of months. The dealer washed it (water spots) and probably removed dust multiple times (swirls). The car was shipped from Amsterdam to Alabama afterwards. I compounded and polished the car myself using Sonax profline cutmax and perfect finish icw the Mequiars microfiber pads. I used a cheap Harbor Freight DA polisher because I can’t use 110V tools back in Europe. Don’t want to invest in expensive tools I can’t take with me. Works fine but it took me 5 days to get everything done including 3 layers of ceramic coating.
The video shows before and after compounding.

https://youtu.be/JjJDsSmx5cc
Nice work. My “before” is somewhere in between your before and after.

Quick Reply: Paint correction on Chalk GT4?