Notices
718 GTS 4.0/GT4/GT4RS/Spyder/25th Anniversary Discussions about the 718 version of the GT4RS, GTS 4.0, GT4, Spyder and 25th Anniversary Boxster
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By: Cobb

Paint correction on Chalk GT4?

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-2021, 04:04 PM
Racer20
Instructor

Received 104 Likes on 48 Posts
Default Paint correction on Chalk GT4?

Does anyone have experience correcting chalk paint?

My chalk GT4 arrives this week and I’m planning my initial paint correction process now. No rush, as I won’t be able to drive it until spring anyway.

Just trying to get some idea for how hard/soft it is, what products might be best, etc. (Edit: I have plenty of experience with paint correction using a Flex 3401. Everyone paint requires a different touch, so I'm mainly asking about pads and products and techniques specific to Chalk paint.)

This is the first time I’ve let the dealer actually wash a car before delivery, since it’s winter and won’t be able to do a proper wash myself. I figure repairing some light marring is better than having the car sit in my garage with transportation grime all over it all winter.

Last edited by Racer20; 02-05-2021 at 07:00 PM.
Old 02-05-2021, 04:10 PM
pitt911
Rennlist Member

Received 941 Likes on 540 Posts

my friend had a chalk GT3 and did paint correction and it looked great
it was done by a professional .
are you asking about doing it yourself ?
Old 02-05-2021, 05:51 PM
sin911
Rennlist Member

Received 710 Likes on 432 Posts

If you're talking about doing the paint correction yourself, are you familiar with the process? Using an orbital/dual action is easier for most than a rotary machine. If you're using a rotary make sure you set it to slow speed. The only thing is to watch out for are the sharp angles (you don't want the edge of the pad to burn or damage the paint) such as door handles.

Porsche tends to have softer paint compared to some of the other manufacturers. Plus chalk is a non metallic light color so small marring/spider webs will be less noticeable.
Old 02-05-2021, 06:58 PM
Racer20
Instructor

Originally Posted by sin911
If you're talking about doing the paint correction yourself, are you familiar with the process? Using an orbital/dual action is easier for most than a rotary machine. If you're using a rotary make sure you set it to slow speed. The only thing is to watch out for are the sharp angles (you don't want the edge of the pad to burn or damage the paint) such as door handles.

Porsche tends to have softer paint compared to some of the other manufacturers. Plus chalk is a non metallic light color so small marring/spider webs will be less noticeable.
Yes, I'm going to do it myself. I'm quite familiar with the process, having done my last 6 cars over 10 years or so and dozens of touch-ups and spot repairs in between. I have a Flex 3401 and a flex PXE 80 that I got just for this car to get all the fine details more closely. I plan to tape all the edges with detailing tape. It always takes a few trials to figure out the best combination of pad and product for a given paint and level of correction needed, and I was just hoping to shortcut that process a bit by hearing what other chalk owners have done. This is my first Porsche so I have no idea what to expect.
Old 02-05-2021, 07:01 PM
MEM82
Burning Brakes

Received 265 Likes on 146 Posts

I did paint correction, xpel and ceramic coating but did not do it myself. Sorry I can't help other than saying I love chalk!! Good luck I'm sure it will turn out great!
Old 02-05-2021, 07:02 PM
Racer20
Instructor

Originally Posted by MEM82
I did paint correction, xpel and ceramic coating but did not do it myself. Sorry I can't help other than saying I love chalk!! Good luck I'm sure it will turn out great!
That's my plan . . . correction and Cquartz over the winter then take it to get Xpel once spring hits.

Edit: I'm only coating the wheels and panels that won't get getting PPF.

Last edited by Racer20; 02-06-2021 at 10:10 AM.
Old 02-05-2021, 07:15 PM
LZRD GRN
Rennlist Member

Received 152 Likes on 110 Posts

Originally Posted by Racer20
Does anyone have experience correcting chalk paint?

My chalk GT4 arrives this week and I’m planning my initial paint correction process now. No rush, as I won’t be able to drive it until spring anyway.

Just trying to get some idea for how hard/soft it is, what products might be best, etc. (Edit: I have plenty of experience with paint correction using a Flex 3401. Everyone paint requires a different touch, so I'm mainly asking about pads and products and techniques specific to Chalk paint.)

This is the first time I’ve let the dealer actually wash a car before delivery, since it’s winter and won’t be able to do a proper wash myself. I figure repairing some light marring is better than having the car sit in my garage with transportation grime all over it all winter.
Sonax has some tools for this, no personal experience....

Lots of video on You Tube.....

Cheers!
Old 02-05-2021, 07:20 PM
dwaldi
Rennlist Member

Received 34 Likes on 27 Posts

I did a paint correction and ceramic application myself. Porsche paint, at least with the three I've owned is pretty hard. My Chalk GT4 was pretty decent from the dealer but there were a couple scratches that took some time to compound out. I got great results with this combo: Rupes machines (15mk2, Mini 3" and Nano), Meguiars Microfiber pads (get the Xtra Cut if you can find them), Sonax Cutmax compound, Rupes White DA Pads + Sonax Perfect Finish to polish. It turned out fantastic. I topped it with the Obsessed Garage recommended combo: Gtechniq Crystal Serum Light + Exo v4.

D
Old 02-05-2021, 10:30 PM
Racer20
Instructor

Originally Posted by dwaldi
I did a paint correction and ceramic application myself. Porsche paint, at least with the three I've owned is pretty hard. My Chalk GT4 was pretty decent from the dealer but there were a couple scratches that took some time to compound out. I got great results with this combo: Rupes machines (15mk2, Mini 3" and Nano), Meguiars Microfiber pads (get the Xtra Cut if you can find them), Sonax Cutmax compound, Rupes White DA Pads + Sonax Perfect Finish to polish. It turned out fantastic. I topped it with the Obsessed Garage recommended combo: Gtechniq Crystal Serum Light + Exo v4.

D
Thanks, this is exactly the feedback I'm looking for. I've always used Lake Country foam pads, but I'll look into microfiber. I have some Sonax Perfect Finish that I'm planning to try along with Meguiar's M205 . . . I'm hoping it doesn't need anything more aggressive than that if I use a medium cutting pad.
Old 02-06-2021, 08:30 AM
Dyim
Drifting

Received 1,021 Likes on 545 Posts

That's my plan . . . correction and Cquartz over the winter then take it to get Xpel once spring hits.
Do you do PPF over ceramic?

I thought people put ceramic coating on the PPF.
Old 02-06-2021, 09:10 AM
CaymanMatt
Racer

Received 164 Likes on 99 Posts

As someone else pointed out, you can't put PPF on top of ceramic coatings.
Old 02-06-2021, 09:16 AM
RichSouleRacing
Instructor

Received 131 Likes on 45 Posts

Where are you located?

Nathan at Petrol Lounge in Austin Texas did the paint correction on my wife's Miami Blue GT4. It came out great. You could just give him a call. I'm sure he'd spend a few minutes talking to you about any thoughts he might have. People who can afford to pay anyone just about anything when it comes to cars (not me, I'm a 'regular guy') trust Nathan with their cars.

Petrol Lounge Austin: 512-924-6643
Old 02-06-2021, 10:10 AM
Racer20
Instructor

Originally Posted by Dyim
Do you do PPF over ceramic?

I thought people put ceramic coating on the PPF.
Sorry, I wasn't clear. I'm going to coat the wheels and the panels that won't get PPF, then I'll coat the PPF this spring.
The following users liked this post:
CaymanMatt (02-06-2021)
Old 02-07-2021, 12:31 PM
MoeMistry
Premium Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 709 Likes on 370 Posts

Kudos to you for binding with your new Porsche and doing the initial care.

chalk is a very nice color, and if you refine the paint well, you’ll be rewarded with greater depth and clarity

to be clear, the paint color itself won’t change your process of paint correction as the clear coat on ALL Porsches, to my knowledge, is the same on all colors of GT4.

With that said, you won’t know exactly what to do until you actually see your car. We’ve seen some recent 718 Spyders and 992 that needed little to no paint correction at all. A nice change and thumbs up to Porsche.

If you can specifically let me know what pads you have, it seems you’ll be using the flex and Sonax/Meguiar’s polishes, I can better point you to the right direction
Old 02-07-2021, 02:00 PM
Racer20
Instructor

Originally Posted by MoeMistry
Kudos to you for binding with your new Porsche and doing the initial care.

chalk is a very nice color, and if you refine the paint well, you’ll be rewarded with greater depth and clarity

to be clear, the paint color itself won’t change your process of paint correction as the clear coat on ALL Porsches, to my knowledge, is the same on all colors of GT4.

With that said, you won’t know exactly what to do until you actually see your car. We’ve seen some recent 718 Spyders and 992 that needed little to no paint correction at all. A nice change and thumbs up to Porsche.

If you can specifically let me know what pads you have, it seems you’ll be using the flex and Sonax/Meguiar’s polishes, I can better point you to the right direction
I got the car on Wednesday, it looks good under my garage fluorescent lights but with my scan grip light you can see some light maring and swirls that you’d expect from a dealership prep wash.

I have the full range of lake country force hybrid pads and a selection of polishes:

M105/205
somax perfect finish
CarPro reflect and essence
3D HD Adapt
Menzerna FG400 and I think a 1500 and 4000 grit as well

The last touch up I did on my M3 I used M205 with a stiff cutting pad and it worked really well. I think I saw that tip on Larry Kosilla’s YT.

Quick Reply: Paint correction on Chalk GT4?