Notices
718 GTS 4.0/GT4/GT4RS/Spyder/25th Anniversary Discussions about the 718 version of the GT4RS, GTS 4.0, GT4, Spyder and 25th Anniversary Boxster
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By: Cobb

PCCB - It's not just the yellow calipers...

Search this Thread

Old 05-25-2021, 10:56 AM
sobiloff
Racer

Received 208 Likes on 133 Posts

Originally Posted by Goodwood
What is the name or paint code of the carbon ceramic's brake caliper paint? I'm doing mine next month and need the paint code.
Speed Yellow.
Old 05-26-2021, 04:05 PM
2XIPA
Burning Brakes

Received 314 Likes on 214 Posts

I’m likely the only one. But I still pucker every time I change my wheels. And that’s using two mounting guides.
The following users liked this post:
Goodwood (05-26-2021)
Old 05-26-2021, 04:24 PM
TRZ06
Rennlist Member

Received 1,552 Likes on 877 Posts

Originally Posted by 2XIPA
I’m likely the only one. But I still pucker every time I change my wheels. And that’s using two mounting guides.
That is what the comprehensive part of your auto policy is for.

That was my biggest concern as well, but I figured if they were damaged by a company doing a tire change or what not, they would be responsible (assuming you take pics every time when dropping off) and if it was done by yourself or a rock getting stuck in there or something , then at the cost of replacement, it would be an insurance claim (that is what insurance is for after all right, similar to an expensive repair on your house, you would use your home owners insurance).

I also spoke with the service manager at a couple of dealers near me that do high volume and both echoed each other basically. One said she had been with Porsche for 8 years and in that time only has seen 1 chipped PCCB rotor, with the average non-tracked car, an average of 60K miles on the pads and 80K miles on the rotors as far as replacement intervals.

Last edited by TRZ06; 05-26-2021 at 04:35 PM.
Old 05-26-2021, 06:10 PM
dertub
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Adrift
Is there a good PCCB vs steel comparison thread, that looks at both performance and cost-benefit analysis?

I was assuming I would stick with steel on a spyder, but considering a shark blue / yellow build, and that nudges me down the pccb route. I will track the car (TBD amount) and have spent plenty of time at tracks on (Porsche) steel brakes (to include self service / maintenance). The difference in braking performance is important, of course, but then so is cost to run those brakes; I am looking for insight.

I assume this topic has been discussed ad nauseum, but PCCB in the Search window gets a million hits. If there is a great thread on this to which you can point me, that would be appreciated. A comprehensive look is important; for example, saying PCCB costs some multiplier more than steel to replace without telling me the respective lifespans isn't the whole picture. If someone has figured out a reasonable $$$/track day (for each type of brake), that would be optimal, especially if paired with a braking power multiplier and fade comparison.

TIA
No brake dust!!!
Old 05-26-2021, 06:55 PM
mjw930
Rennlist Member

Received 378 Likes on 209 Posts

I asked my dealer about that, and he quoted $1k to $3k (this was the SA ballparking). If knew of a reliable source to provide that, $500 to $1k is quite reasonable, and I would definitely consider that. That sounds kind of low, doesn't it? Labor to pull the wheels, the calipers, paint, reinstall, bleed brakes, reinstall wheels (x4). You would want a good mechanic shop that contracts with a good paint shop that knows what needs to be done to properly paint calipers.

Any recommendations in the Dallas area?

The shark blue would certainly be a much more unique / rare color than guards, and that has some appeal. I love both, visually speaking, so...
The $500- $1000 price assumes you do all the ancillary labor. That’s just the cost of dissembling, cleaning, powdercoat/paint and reassembly of the calipers.
Old 05-26-2021, 07:37 PM
Westcoast
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 4,494 Likes on 2,645 Posts

You are brave!

I use 2 mounting guides and two sheets of ethafoam one over the caliper and one over top of the rotor...
2XIPA (05-27-2021)
Old 05-27-2021, 11:35 AM
sobiloff
Racer

Received 208 Likes on 133 Posts

And my wife was wondering why I was sweating ***** when freehanding wheel changes on a friend's Corvette with carbon ceramics in a hotel parking lot at 10 PM before a track day…
Old 05-27-2021, 12:13 PM
2XIPA
Burning Brakes

Received 314 Likes on 214 Posts

Originally Posted by Westcoast
You are brave!

I use 2 mounting guides and two sheets of ethafoam one over the caliper and one over top of the rotor...
Thanks WC. I had to look up ethafoam. What's the approximate dimension of the ethafoam you're using?
Old 05-27-2021, 12:33 PM
Westcoast
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Thanks WC. I had to look up ethafoam. What's the approximate dimension of the ethafoam you're using?
Here is what I use, IIRC they were in some packaging to protect the contents, actually sealed on three sides like an envelope, double layer 1/8" so 1/4" total thickness and measuring 7-1/2x11 inches. The wife goes nuts because I continually save things, "Hey, this could come in handy for...something one day" and sure enough it did! I would say anything around this size would be good, thick enough to protect and sized to sneak through the spokes or from behind to position over the rotor and caliper, BTW much thicker and they would not fit between the caliper and the wheel barrel. I keep them in a plastic bag with the removed wheel set!

You should be able to find this foam a packing supply/moving stores or at a building supply store like Home Depot: Rubber-Cal Closed Cell Polyethylene 1/4 in. Thick x 39 in. Width x 78 in. Length White Rubber Sheet-02-236-0250 - The Home Depot Interestingly not showing in stock anywhere close to Seattle, but you get the idea, you may also be able to find something like this at Staples or Office Depot.

Ethafoam pads

Last edited by Westcoast; 05-27-2021 at 12:50 PM.
Old 02-03-2022, 01:37 PM
Westcoast
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

@Adrift Is this going to affect your build?

718 GT4RS - Page 362 - Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums

Delays due to PCCB - Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums
Old 02-03-2022, 01:57 PM
Adrift
Race Car

Received 2,370 Likes on 1,211 Posts

That might well be why my config change bumped me from delivering in April to mid July. I haven't heard anything worse yet (like Nov). If that happens, and they don't make spyders in '23, I guess I just fall off the order books. At this point, I am pretty numb.

As of now, I’m still tracking July 8.

Last edited by Adrift; 02-03-2022 at 02:23 PM.
Old 02-03-2022, 02:01 PM
SpyderSenseOC
Rennlist Member

Received 1,321 Likes on 789 Posts

My freeze date is 2-7-22 with PCCB's but I'm not changing. They are a must for me. If I get pushed back too far I'll continue looking for a CPO car.
Old 02-03-2022, 02:22 PM
Westcoast
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

That might well be why my config change bumped me from delivering in April to mid July. I haven't heard anything worse yet (like Nov). If that happens, and they don't make spyders in '23, I guess I just fall off the order books. At this point, I am pretty numb,
Originally Posted by SpyderSenseOC
My freeze date is 2-7-22 with PCCB's but I'm not changing. They are a must for me. If I get pushed back too far I'll continue looking for a CPO car.
What about the possibility of a plan B? Conversion from irons to Surface Transforms after delivery, better than no car at all and still allowing you to get most of the build you want? Others have done this...
Adrift (02-03-2022)
Old 02-03-2022, 02:24 PM
jmartpr
Rennlist Member

Received 1,457 Likes on 909 Posts

What about the possibility of a plan B? Conversion from irons to Surface Transforms after delivery, better than no car at all and still allowing you to get most of the build you want? Others have done this...

This...way cheaper on the long run. Unless you really need those yellow calipers.....
Old 02-03-2022, 02:25 PM
Adrift
Race Car

Received 2,370 Likes on 1,211 Posts

It all depends on when I find out what, and what my options are. I’d definitely switch back to iron if it saved the car.

Quick Reply: PCCB - It's not just the yellow calipers...