Notices
718 GTS 4.0/GT4/GT4RS/Spyder/25th Anniversary Discussions about the 718 version of the GT4RS, GTS 4.0, GT4, Spyder and 25th Anniversary Boxster
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By: Cobb

Why do some people drive their car so little?

Search this Thread

Old 06-06-2021, 12:36 PM
tigerhonaker
Rennlist Member

Received 1,431 Likes on 797 Posts
Lightbulb

Originally Posted by VVG
So I went to get my 1 year oil change on my Spyder today (epic drive, but that's a different story). As I am waiting in the dealership, I look around and spot a 2019 911 Carrera 4 GTS for sale in the showroom.

The car had 975 miles on it. Why does someone buy a car like this only to drive it 975 miles in 2 years. What is the point? I am at 4600 miles in 1 year on my Spyder, and it is a total fair weather toy. I can even see a few thousand miles in 2 years, but 975?
Here is an example in regards to myself.
I had a New Challenger Hellcat after 2-years it had like 2,000 miles.
Then a New Audi RS-3 for like 2-years it had like 1,700 miles.

Waiting on the GT4 to arrive maybe this coming August.

We also have my wife's VW Golf R we purchases New in 2017 and it has like 10,000 miles on it after 3 years of both of us driving it.

Our circumstances are ...........
Cathy works at home for Cigna Ins. so she has no reason to be driving the Golf R a lot.
I drive it more then she does running errands etc.

I'm thinking I might try with effort to drive the incoming GT4 a lot more than I have the other Guy-Toy machines in the past.
I am having PPF installed on areas of it for added protection.
And also having Ceramic coating applied in multiple layers.

I think just my opinion once we stop working and we get older we just simply don't have the reasons to drive as we did when driving to work everyday.
And also visiting buddies.

I'm 76 years old and Cathy is 67 and things have definitely changed in regards to us driving.
We mainly now just stay home ............

Terry
USA

Old 06-06-2021, 12:47 PM
TXshaggy
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 3,347 Likes on 1,929 Posts

Why do some people care that others drive their car so little?
Old 06-06-2021, 01:01 PM
HelpMeHelpU
Rennlist Member

Received 593 Likes on 376 Posts

When I first started looking for my first Porsche six years ago, a high-end (but not Porsche) dealer in Chicago had an attractive Cayman GTS I liked. It had 238 miles on it.

I asked "What's the deal with a car with 238 miles on it"?

The sales person said it belonged to a really good client of theirs who buys about 20 cars a year from them.

Sales guy said the client's name was Frank and his nickname at the dealership was "One-Tank-Frank" because he never took his cars to the gas station.

There you go.

I will never likely be such a customer.

Today I went for an epic drive on the Storm King Highway in my five-YO GT4. I got two and a half clean runs. And the car passed 12,000.

I drive it the amount I do so it makes each drive special. Plus, my intention is to keep it for my lifetime, so a 30-plus-year ownership (please G-d) will bring it to 90k or 100k.
Old 06-06-2021, 01:58 PM
horns
Pro

Received 193 Likes on 104 Posts

I suspect if you could talk to the previous owner and ask for a receive a direct answer to your question, the answer wouldn't make sense to you.

People have different ways of deriving pleasure, and sometimes those ways will make no sense to us.

Sometimes things don't go as intended either. One gets sick or has an injury, or gets deployed overseas, or has a family circumstance change.

My toys don't see a lot of mileage individually because I spread my time between cars, motorcycles, and non-auto activities. Time is a constraint. To me it isn't money wasted because I enjoy the experiences. For my neighbor it is probably seen as an enormous waste.
Old 06-06-2021, 02:30 PM
Ed G
Track Day

Received 31 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by Archimedes
Why do people buy second homes they barely spend any time in?

Because they can.
It's an interesting question but I believe it's that simple.

I used to wonder why this and why that, only to realize there often isn't an answer or at least an answer that we would consider satisfactory. For many, they've reached a point where it, money, doesn't really matter i.e. because they can. Is it wasteful? Perhaps, but waste is such a relative term.

I grew up in a moderate income household and we never had a new car, let alone a sports car. It was Fords and then used Hondas and Toyotas because they were dependable and economical. From that beginning, it only makes me appreciate what we have that much more.

I have many things that I "barely" use but when I do, I enjoy them. I have cars that get driven 500 - 2,000 miles a year and spend most of their time in storage. There are days when I get up and think I really should sell it. So, I'll go and drive them for an hour or two as my "farewell" drive and realize how much I enjoy the car and back it goes. The day it doesn't bring a smile to my face or creates a financial burden, it/they will go. Maybe this isn't being a very good steward of money but I feel I've made enough "good" decisions along the way to be able to do this.

We all have different areas where we like to splurge.

The following 2 users liked this post by Ed G:
JPMD (06-06-2021), Zhao (06-06-2021)
Old 06-06-2021, 03:28 PM
jdmporscheguy
Advanced

Received 47 Likes on 29 Posts

I picked up my 2021 GT4 2nd or 3rd week of April. It is now June 5 and I just hit 900kms on it (mostly because I want to finish breaking it in). Every time I take it out I have to wash the car because it gets so dusty sitting in my garage for a week at a time before each drive. I also live in Canada so it will go into storage Nov-May every year. None of my cars get driven in Rain or Snow.

My summer "daily driver" I bought used in 2014 with 101,000kms on it. It is 2021 and it currently is sitting at 135,000kms.

I love driving both cars and they are both fun, however, I don't like to put unnecessary KMs on the car just for the hell of it so unless I am going on a cruise with friends/clubs, going to a show/meet or taking it to my local shop, I don't drive it and prefer driving a point A to B rust bucket pos car instead for menial things

Being in the exclusive club of Porsche owners, knowing that I can and did afford my dream sports car, and the looks/reactions of people when they find out I have a Porsche is enough for me.

Although I will say that when I do drive my GT4, it is an absolute BLAST and I LOVE it every time I take it out. I have so much fun driving it that my cheeks hurt from the constant smiling the entire drive when I get home.

To answer the question - I like preserving the car and keeping it long term so I baby it so I can enjoy it for many years to come!

Last edited by jdmporscheguy; 06-06-2021 at 03:48 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by jdmporscheguy:
josephr25 (06-06-2021), Porsche cowboy (06-07-2021)
Old 06-07-2021, 12:46 AM
Spyderman2
Instructor

Received 197 Likes on 69 Posts

I have toyed with the idea of buying a new car like a Spyder and putting it in a "time capsule" that preserves it indefinitely with essentially no miles on it. What would a 50 or 100 year old Porsche that has never been driven be worth today? 10X the original price? 100X? 1000X? So might a 2021 Spyder in perfect condition that has never been driven be worth $50 or $100 million in 50 or 100 years? I'll never know because a) I won't be around then to find out, and b) I've already put 1100 miles on my 2021 Spyder and can't make myself not drive it, so that opportunity has passed me by. I could buy another Spyder for the time capsule, but then the wife would probably have me committed to an institution. If somebody did that they'd have to forego the pleasure of driving it in exchange for the pleasure of doing something really unique and strange that would only benefit their grandkids or great grandkids. I do have a barn I could store it in; it would make for a great "Barn Find" story. The story would come out long after I'm gone, but it'd probably earn me the legendary title of crazy great grandpa Greg.
Old 06-07-2021, 01:42 AM
Zhao
Drifting

Received 1,690 Likes on 936 Posts

Cars need to be driven a bit to maintain their condition. If you were to put one in a time capsule and pull it out 50 years later it would likely be a disaster, especially if you stored it in a barn.

I have a racing buddy who stored his Maserati like that. It developed it's own eco system inside within maybe 6-8 years of being sealed and became basically worthless. Although it could be argued a used Maserati is worthless to begin with.
Old 06-07-2021, 11:27 AM
Spyderman2
Instructor

Received 197 Likes on 69 Posts

Thanks for putting a nail in the coffin of that idea. Although in my dream it would have been in a temperature and humidity controlled enclosure in the barn, with all fluids drained, and perhaps a slow nitrogen purge added to the enclosure to eliminate oxygen exposure and prevent corrosion. But there is still a lot that could go wrong. I'll quit noodling that fantasy now, but it was fun while it lasted.
Old 06-07-2021, 12:59 PM
John Ferguson
Instructor

Received 26 Likes on 23 Posts

Fully retired with seven vehicles in current stable (all purchased new, two Porsches) all get pampered and have low mileage. Am a car guy and it makes me feel good to own nice vehicles in immaculate condition. Ordered 981 BGTS to my specs almost 7 years ago, Has less than 6K miles, never been in rain or on wet roads, never launched, never driven in Sport+, never tracked, stays covered in the garage on the battery tender with a full tank of gas and some Sta-Bil. Am proud to own what is arguably the lowest mileage, best condition, best optioned 981 BGTS in existence. 2016 Harley Streetglide (4K) is honestly more fun but wife and I enjoy our sunny day top-down back road drives to the Air Force Base. 2017 4 door Silverado has only 9K. 2018 Macan S (my daily) has less than 12K. Simple answer is I own too many vehicles for only my wife and I to put many miles on any one ... paid cash for them all and enjoy them all immensely, even if sparsely.
The following users liked this post:
jdmporscheguy (06-07-2021)
Old 06-07-2021, 02:20 PM
flynlo
Burning Brakes

Received 817 Likes on 393 Posts

I am heavily into boating. Boats are WAY worse than cars as far as sitting and not being used. But I think the reasons are the same. You have "perception". And then you have reality. The perception is how you will use the car before you actually buy it. The reality is how you actually use the car. The closer those two are together, the more likely one is to use the car/boat. IOW, there is a dream and if the reality is not close to what the dream originally was, then the car/boat sits unused. Expectation....reality. And then they realize that the car is sitting unused and decide to sell it. So I think it is the opposite of a waste of money. They at least made the decision to liquidate it versus keeping it and not using it for an even longer time.

Or maybe it is like trying to gain the attention of the hottest woman(or guy) you have ever seen. You succeed in the endeavour. Then it is not at all what you thought it was going to be like. We've all been there. So the relationship suffers. You had high expectations...they were not met.

People see sunsets and umbrella drinks when the buy a boat. That is the dream. The reality is they are costly to maintain. You need TIME to actually enjoy them. You have kids...grandkids...wives....soccer....etc....all taking priority. Time is usually the biggest thing IMO.

Last edited by flynlo; 06-07-2021 at 02:22 PM.
StilettoPat (06-09-2021)
Old 06-07-2021, 03:29 PM
TerryC4S
Instructor

Received 71 Likes on 27 Posts

"Our cars are meant to be driven. Not polished."
Ferry Porsche
UncleDude (06-07-2021)
Old 06-07-2021, 04:17 PM
UncleDude
Rennlist Member

Received 5,189 Likes on 2,120 Posts

Originally Posted by TerryC4S
"Our cars are meant to be driven. Not polished."
Ferry Porsche
Well I certainly feel that way, but clearly not everyone does. Nothing wrong with that!
Bartleby7334 (06-07-2021)
Old 06-07-2021, 04:34 PM
VVG
Rennlist Member

Received 1,055 Likes on 516 Posts

Originally Posted by John Ferguson
Fully retired with seven vehicles in current stable (all purchased new, two Porsches) all get pampered and have low mileage. Am a car guy and it makes me feel good to own nice vehicles in immaculate condition. Ordered 981 BGTS to my specs almost 7 years ago, Has less than 6K miles, never been in rain or on wet roads, never launched, never driven in Sport+, never tracked, stays covered in the garage on the battery tender with a full tank of gas and some Sta-Bil. Am proud to own what is arguably the lowest mileage, best condition, best optioned 981 BGTS in existence. 2016 Harley Streetglide (4K) is honestly more fun but wife and I enjoy our sunny day top-down back road drives to the Air Force Base. 2017 4 door Silverado has only 9K. 2018 Macan S (my daily) has less than 12K. Simple answer is I own too many vehicles for only my wife and I to put many miles on any one ... paid cash for them all and enjoy them all immensely, even if sparsely.
I guess this is what I don't really understand. The whole point of the car itself to even exist is to be driven. All for keeping it immaculately detailed, not driving in foul weather, etc.
Like I said, it becomes merely an ornament of affluence, and I guess I have never really understood the idea of such ornaments.
Why not spend the same amount of money on some nice pieces of art for your home then? At least the actual purpose of art is simply to sit stationary and be looked at.

Last edited by VVG; 06-07-2021 at 04:36 PM.
Old 06-07-2021, 10:08 PM
Archimedes
Race Director

Received 3,858 Likes on 1,902 Posts

Originally Posted by VVG
I guess this is what I don't really understand. The whole point of the car itself to even exist is to be driven. All for keeping it immaculately detailed, not driving in foul weather, etc.
Like I said, it becomes merely an ornament of affluence, and I guess I have never really understood the idea of such ornaments.
Why not spend the same amount of money on some nice pieces of art for your home then? At least the actual purpose of art is simply to sit stationary and be looked at.
You don’t seem to get that not everyone has the same interests or priorities as you. Is it that hard to understand or do you just think your way is the right way and the only way?

This thread just reeks of condescension.
The following 4 users liked this post by Archimedes:
flynlo (06-07-2021), JAhmed (06-08-2021), Klepper (06-09-2021), n4v4nod (06-13-2021)

Quick Reply: Why do some people drive their car so little?