Notices
718 GTS 4.0/GT4/GT4RS/Spyder/25th Anniversary Discussions about the 718 version of the GT4RS, GTS 4.0, GT4, Spyder and 25th Anniversary Boxster
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By: Cobb

Why do some people drive their car so little?

Search this Thread

Old 06-10-2021, 01:20 AM
Alan_S
Instructor

Received 95 Likes on 59 Posts

For many, including me, its not that we don't want to drive them. It's that we don't have the time. Monday through Friday, I have no recreational time. On the weekend, I have errands. Basically I get one opportunity a week to drive my cars and that's maybe only for an hour or two. I have three fun cars and a dedicated track car (for that I give up whole weekends multiple times a year). At the end, I just can't use them as much as others. And I am ok with that. They each have a place in my heart and each does something different for driving fun.
The following users liked this post:
Semitone (06-14-2021)
Old 06-12-2021, 11:17 AM
John Ferguson
Instructor

Received 26 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by VVG
I guess this is what I don't really understand. The whole point of the car itself to even exist is to be driven. All for keeping it immaculately detailed, not driving in foul weather, etc.
Like I said, it becomes merely an ornament of affluence, and I guess I have never really understood the idea of such ornaments.
Why not spend the same amount of money on some nice pieces of art for your home then? At least the actual purpose of art is simply to sit stationary and be looked at.
Why not have both? My house is full of cherry-picked original artwork by my mother (RIP) who was a college art professor / artist. A few RMNP vacation prints also adorn the walls, like this bugler. Taking immaculate BGTS out in a few minutes for a top down brunch ride ... the smiles it provides have no substitute.

Old 06-12-2021, 11:34 AM
Semitone
Pro

Received 121 Likes on 65 Posts

Personally, I couldn’t care less how many miles someone else puts on their car. What I am really curious about is why so many Porsche “ enthusiasts” seems to have so many hang ups. It’s pretty clear the Porsche owners on forums have a tremendous amount of emotional baggage related to their cars. Whether it’s obsessing over resale, color choice, mileage, brake dust....

It’s a major turnoff for the brand. No wonder my wife would rather drive a Subaru. I think I am joining her shortly.

Last edited by Semitone; 06-12-2021 at 11:36 AM.
Old 06-12-2021, 12:25 PM
clutchplate
Three Wheelin'

Received 927 Likes on 432 Posts

Originally Posted by Semitone
Personally, I couldn’t care less how many miles someone else puts on their car. What I am really curious about is why so many Porsche “ enthusiasts” seems to have so many hang ups. It’s pretty clear the Porsche owners on forums have a tremendous amount of emotional baggage related to their cars. Whether it’s obsessing over resale, color choice, mileage, brake dust....

It’s a major turnoff for the brand. No wonder my wife would rather drive a Subaru. I think I am joining her shortly.
You do realize if you search out Subaru forums you'll see owners discussing nearly the same things. Perhaps a better choice for you would be to drive what you want but stay off the forums. You can learn things here though. For example, did you realize listening to semitones (your handle) on headphones with one note coming from one channel and the other from the opposite channel will remove nearly all the dissonance? Won't see that posted on any Subaru forums.

Last edited by clutchplate; 06-12-2021 at 12:27 PM.
Old 06-12-2021, 12:26 PM
Zhao
Drifting

Received 1,691 Likes on 937 Posts

Potentially because unless you're rich buying a new Porsche has likely been a long journey, potentially 10-20 years or more, and it often is not a car that is traded in on a whim. It's often something special. Add in that if you want to replace it you likely need to wait a year+ for another one, or maybe if you sell it the wife decides no more sports cars.

Subaru is who cares. I've had a ton of wrx's and stis and I can't remember most of them; there is absolutely nothing special or memorable about them.
Old 06-12-2021, 01:17 PM
Archimedes
Race Director

Received 3,858 Likes on 1,902 Posts

Originally Posted by clutchplate
You do realize if you search out Subaru forums you'll see owners discussing nearly the same things.

Yeahhh, no.
Old 06-12-2021, 01:42 PM
clutchplate
Three Wheelin'

Received 927 Likes on 432 Posts

Originally Posted by Archimedes

Yeahhh, no.
Surprised how similar the topics are. Have a look.

https://www.clubwrx.net/
Old 06-12-2021, 04:14 PM
VVG
Rennlist Member

Received 1,055 Likes on 516 Posts

Originally Posted by Semitone

What you refer to as "hang ups", I think of as a passion.
Old 06-12-2021, 06:09 PM
Archimedes
Race Director

Originally Posted by clutchplate
Surprised how similar the topics are. Have a look.

https://www.clubwrx.net/
I didn’t see a single thread about…

“Should I do $8,000 of PPF and ceramic coating on my $28,000 Outback?”

or

”How much were you making when your bought your first Subaru?”

or

”What watch brand best matches my grey Crosstrek?”

or

”Do I need to put my car on jack stands for the winter to avoid flat spotting the tires?
Old 06-12-2021, 06:09 PM
Archimedes
Race Director

Originally Posted by VVG
What you refer to as "hang ups", I think of as a passion.
Your passion is worrying about what other people do with their cars?
The following users liked this post:
JAhmed (06-12-2021)
Old 06-12-2021, 08:23 PM
JAhmed
Rennlist Member

Received 1,774 Likes on 755 Posts

LMAOOOO
Old 06-12-2021, 10:55 PM
VVG
Rennlist Member

Received 1,055 Likes on 516 Posts

Worry...not in the least. Curious.....absolutely.

Quick Reply: Why do some people drive their car so little?