Notices
718 GTS 4.0/GT4/GT4RS/Spyder/25th Anniversary Discussions about the 718 version of the GT4RS, GTS 4.0, GT4, Spyder and 25th Anniversary Boxster
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By: Cobb

Valve rattling with PSE closed

Search this Thread

Old 08-08-2021, 11:47 PM
kw23
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Valve rattling with PSE closed

Hi folks, I recently installed Soul over axle pipe and valve controller with help of a friend and I'm very impressed with the sound. I noticed a little rattling noise coming from the exhaust. Upon closer examination, it's the right side valve that's not fully closed at PSE off that causes the rattle (maybe a 1-2 mm from fully closed). I tried to push the valve acuator fully in and the noise was gone. Discussed with friend and also got suggestion from Soul that it's likely a vacuum issue because no rattle at all with PSE on or valve forced open. Given light throttle to 1200rpm the rattle is less noticable but still there, I can see the vavle actuator go up with a little throttle input.

I plan to pick up a vacuum gauge to see what vacuum is the car pulling at idle and light throttle. Any idea where should I try to tighten? Vacuum lines to vavles are inact, I suspect it's either oem t-fitting or the solenoid connection that's loose. Also if someone know what vacuum the car is pulling at idle it would be very helpful!

Last edited by kw23; 08-08-2021 at 11:48 PM.
Old 04-30-2023, 12:00 PM
Coleman
Three Wheelin'

Received 114 Likes on 60 Posts

Dis you ever get this sorted out? I'm having the same problem-
Old 04-30-2023, 12:19 PM
kw23
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Coleman
the valve controller unit wasn’t holding pressure, Soul sent a new one to me
Old 04-30-2023, 12:22 PM
kw23
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Coleman
It’s the solenoid that’s leaking.
Old 04-30-2023, 08:44 PM
Coleman
Three Wheelin'

I just got into the nitty-gritty of it today. The crazy thing is that the SOul valves are adjustable. There's a set screw that adjusts the valve axis.. It sort of looks like a normal bolt, but it's actually a nut around a setscrew.. Tightening it up a bit made up for all of the play in the valve and now it's silent!! Too bad they never told us about this.. I'll have to speak to John G. about it ;-)
The following 2 users liked this post by Coleman:
Larry Cable (05-03-2023), StormRune (04-30-2023)
Old 04-30-2023, 08:55 PM
Xxyion
Three Wheelin'

Received 1,097 Likes on 597 Posts

I think this is a pretty common issue. I Believe @BabyNSX has a fix that worked for him.
Old 04-30-2023, 09:00 PM
Coleman
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Xxyion
I think this is a pretty common issue. I Believe @BabyNSX has a fix that worked for him.
You don't happen to have a link to the thread? I can't find it-
Old 05-02-2023, 01:03 PM
BabyNSX
Rennlist Member

Received 485 Likes on 188 Posts

Sadly I was not able to resolve the issue completely; however, I did manage to make some improvements.

The issue boils down to play in the valve shaft that is prone to rattles. My partial solution involves installing a 1/32" hair pin clip on the PSE valve shaft between the PSE valve body and the actuator arm (where the play exists). Here is what the clip looks like:

With this installed the rattling is reduced but not completely eliminated.
Old 05-03-2023, 11:07 AM
Coleman
Three Wheelin'

Got it, I was sort of going down that route trying to find a small, thick, silicone O-Ring, but once I took the "nut" off the top of the valve shaft, as I mentioned above, it was a nut on a set screw- (not a bolt as I had assumed). Some turns of the setscrew further into the nut will remove the play that develops over time and therefore quieting the valve rattle- our valves may be different SO UL models tho-
Old 09-08-2023, 03:43 PM
Dtlrshp
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Just wanted to share my “fix” to the rattling issue, tried various methods over the course of the past 4 months or so, and ultimately went back to my first semi-fix with a copper wire. The small detail in making the rattle completely disappear was to not just loop it, but to turn it 90* to push against the “frame” holding the pivot rod thing to keep tension against it, as the pivoting rod is what was vibrating in a side to side motion. Not pretty, but ain’t no one looking under there.
I used 10ga solid copper wire

the brown goop is anti-seize hi temp lubricant. It didn’t help at all except stain some of my cloths

hope this helps someone
The following users liked this post:
BabyNSX (04-21-2024)
Old 04-21-2024, 03:52 PM
Coleman
Three Wheelin'

Getting further to mine, they were out of adjustment a little bit, and there's a really easy fix... Loosen up the lock nut on the shaft, and extend the ball cup out on the threads quite a ways until: when it's back on the ball of the axis, there's spring tension keeping the ball/axis tension against the back plate, where it sits when the car is off.. If it is adjusted too far, then the butterfly valve will not fully close or open, but, enough tension to keep the valve from rattling will really help.. This and tensioning up the set screw on the top of the axis as per my post above helps also.

C/

Quick Reply: Valve rattling with PSE closed