Notices
718 GTS 4.0/GT4/GT4RS/Spyder/25th Anniversary Discussions about the 718 version of the GT4RS, GTS 4.0, GT4, Spyder and 25th Anniversary Boxster
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By: Cobb

718 GT4 BMC Filter Install

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-2024, 10:48 PM
MaddMike
Drifting

Received 1,738 Likes on 846 Posts

Originally Posted by slilley
I did this job today. Watched all the videos, but here are my notes that I jotted down during and after the process:

Get correct gasket grease for next time (Porsche Kluber Syntheso Glep Grease - P/N 000-043-305-01); I used wheel bearing grease first time. Clean reusable parts off well, and apply new grease. Use Shark Werks tool to remove air filters; made it pretty easy. Make sure all cones are found and reinstalled upon each trim piece removal; super easy to lose them! Use power drill to remove and re-install filter on plastic housing; have to apply fairly-hard downward pressure when connecting pieces because the holes in the new filter are not tapped – screw will self-tap as installed (needs pressure to get started). Peel back the carpet under the ECU to get to the last hidden bolt, which is just to the bottom-right of the ECU by maybe and inch or less. The lip of the forward side pieces need to slide under trim in front of them where the two sliding storage compartments are. To re-install the centerpiece, put it in the lower compartment and slide it up into position.
Thanks! Eventually I will have to do this. I had mine installed by the dealer along with the Kline exhaust pre-delivery so I never knew the car without them. I have a second set still in boxes for maintenance purposes so if I do it or if it is done at the dealer, it is a simple swap-out. I can then either toss the old or clean and dry them and put them back in the box for the next maintenance interval.
The following 2 users liked this post by MaddMike:
slilley (04-16-2024), tigerhonaker (04-17-2024)
Old 04-16-2024, 10:56 AM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

Received 3,455 Likes on 2,259 Posts

Originally Posted by slilley
I did this job today. Watched all the videos, but here are my notes that I jotted down during and after the process:

Get correct gasket grease for next time (Porsche Kluber Syntheso Glep Grease - P/N 000-043-305-01); I used wheel bearing grease first time. Clean reusable parts off well, and apply new grease. Use Shark Werks tool to remove air filters; made it pretty easy. Make sure all cones are found and reinstalled upon each trim piece removal; super easy to lose them! Use power drill to remove and re-install filter on plastic housing; have to apply fairly-hard downward pressure when connecting pieces because the holes in the new filter are not tapped – screw will self-tap as installed (needs pressure to get started). Peel back the carpet under the ECU to get to the last hidden bolt, which is just to the bottom-right of the ECU by maybe and inch or less. The lip of the forward side pieces need to slide under trim in front of them where the two sliding storage compartments are. To re-install the centerpiece, put it in the lower compartment and slide it up into position.
this nut in particular is hard to get at and harder to put back on!

also disconnecting the oil filler hose on the right is a challenge, well it was when I did it...
Old 04-17-2024, 10:41 AM
slilley
Rennlist Member

Received 437 Likes on 198 Posts

Originally Posted by Larry Cable
this nut in particular is hard to get at and harder to put back on!

also disconnecting the oil filler hose on the right is a challenge, well it was when I did it...
I cannot see how you could remove or (especially) re-install that hidden nut without first pulling the bottom carpet up and out of the way. Maybe I got lucky with the oil filler hose; I just squeezed it as I saw in the videos, and it pulled down easily. I was more concerned with making sure it was connected properly when I put everything together, because I don't even want to think about what would happen if you added oil and that oil line wasn't connected.
The following users liked this post:
tigerhonaker (04-17-2024)

Quick Reply: 718 GT4 BMC Filter Install