Notices
718 GTS 4.0/GT4/GT4RS/Spyder/25th Anniversary Discussions about the 718 version of the GT4RS, GTS 4.0, GT4, Spyder and 25th Anniversary Boxster
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By: Cobb

Android Auto

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-2022, 07:03 PM
Westcoast
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 4,493 Likes on 2,645 Posts

Originally Posted by lowbee
Can someone help me understand why would one prefer to enable the OEM wired AA remotely [Sima] and risk H/W warranty issus versus just plugging in an Ottocast U2-X dongle for a wireless AA experience? What am I not seeing ?
Not positive but doesn't your car have to have Apple CarPlay already installed...? See below:

Last edited by Westcoast; 05-12-2022 at 07:10 PM.
Old 05-12-2022, 07:06 PM
Translog
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Lowbee,

From what I understand you need either ACP or AA installed wired to be able to use the Ottocast wirelessly.
Old 05-12-2022, 07:10 PM
lowbee
Rennlist Member

Received 368 Likes on 227 Posts

Originally Posted by Translog
Lowbee,

From what I understand you need either ACP or AA installed wired to be able to use the Ottocast wirelessly.
Ok, I am not sure what come as standard equipment in the US for GTS 4.0 but MY2022 Canadian models come standard with wired ACP
Old 05-12-2022, 07:13 PM
Westcoast
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Ok, I am not sure what come as standard equipment in the US for GTS 4.0 but MY2022 Canadian models come standard with wired ACP
That's just it, my 2020 Spyder did not... and as a Android user I would not have ordered it. Don't forget, the AA code is already there, Sima just enables it.
The following users liked this post:
Alpha Ice (05-13-2022)
Old 05-12-2022, 07:15 PM
lowbee
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Westcoast
That's just it, my 2020 Spyder did not... and as a Android user I would not have ordered it. Don't forget, the AA code is already there, Sima just enables it.
I think I am getting it now, thanks. For cars that don't have wired ACP from factory, Sima can enable ACP & AA remotely so an Ottocast dongle may be used to get wireless connection.

For cars that come with wired ACP from the factory, one can get the Ottocast dongle to get wireless ACP or wireless AA

Last edited by lowbee; 05-12-2022 at 07:22 PM.
Translog (05-13-2022)
Old 05-13-2022, 10:03 AM
Alpha Ice
Burning Brakes

Received 455 Likes on 283 Posts

I can confirm on MY22 GTS 4.0, they come with wired CarPlay as standard since they've added the GPS wart on there. Previous models you had to option and payfor Carplay which brought the GPS antenna included. Without the GPS Antenna, you can purchase the GPS Antenna/Wart and then Sima, or other individuals can program CarPlay or AA (prior to 2022 models). Mine did not come with Navigation from the factory, but for the $150 or w/e that Sima charged and 45 minutes of his time I was able to get that included too. If I was an iOS user I wouldn't have needed anything, but since I'm Android, I still had to pay as others said to enable the Android aspect. I hope that clears things up for you @lowbee

Last edited by Alpha Ice; 05-13-2022 at 10:05 AM.
Old 05-13-2022, 10:22 AM
lowbee
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Alpha Ice
...... Mine did not come with Navigation from the factory, but for the $150 or w/e that Sima charged and 45 minutes of his time I was able to get that included too........ since I'm Android, I still had to pay as others said to enable the Android aspect. I hope that clears things up for you [utag=177571]lowbee
Thanks, I get that you paid Sima to enable navigation and wired AA even though your car comes with ACP. If I only wanted AA (and not factory nav), then I have the following options:

1. get the Ottocast dongle to go wireless AA, or
2. Pay Sima to go OEM wired AA

My question was is there a good reason to go option 2 instead of option 1 ?
Alpha Ice (05-13-2022)
Old 05-13-2022, 10:26 AM
Alpha Ice
Burning Brakes

Received 455 Likes on 283 Posts

Thanks, I get that you paid Sima to enable navigation and wired AA even though your car comes with ACP. If I only wanted AA (and not factory nav), then I have the following options:

I wasn't aware of option 1 at the time that I paid him. I had seen that WestCoast had done a full on Android OS built into his car, but that device was no longer available. Since Navi was an option and I could choose to have something more factory looking....should I ever want to sell the car later it's a value added benefit to me and the next owner, I can easily recoup some of the options. I have the T-9 phone mount that hooks up right to the side of the PCM display, so running a 2 ft USB-C cord from the glove box to my phone was practical already.

If I ever change back to my Duo, I will probably go with the Ottocast to make life easier.

Last edited by Alpha Ice; 05-13-2022 at 10:29 AM.
lowbee (05-13-2022)
Old 05-13-2022, 11:33 AM
Westcoast
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

FWIW, I optioned my 2020 with Navigation so it came with the GPS module, but even to add that was a simple add on GPS module, less than $30 IIRC.

I do have a outboard Android system that uses the PCM display and provides camera inputs and full Android tablet like experience.

But I still had Sima enable AA on the PCM so I could use my phone as well, I am not concerned about wireless connectivity, additionally there are many benefits to having factory NAV operational.

To answer your question, I would say it is a personal choice, both options cost about the same and net the same results, but I would say the major difference is that you can take the dongle with you should you decide to change Porsches. Built in AA to compliment CP and OEM NAV covers all bases and can be a resale feature.
Alpha Ice (05-13-2022)
Old 05-14-2022, 10:49 AM
confused66
Instructor

Received 119 Likes on 61 Posts

Did some research and it appears the Ottocast only works for the newer Android phones running the v11 operating system. I have an older phone that can't be upgraded beyond Android 8 so Ottocast is not an option for me.
Old 05-14-2022, 11:25 AM
Westcoast
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by confused66
Did some research and it appears the Ottocast only works for the newer Android phones running the v11 operating system. I have an older phone that can't be upgraded beyond Android 8 so Ottocast is not an option for me.
Well their web page needs some updating then, it lists the Samsung S9+ and that phone hasn't gone past Android 10, neither did the S8.

In your case AA enabled on the PCM should still work as AA support started at Android 6

Last edited by Westcoast; 05-14-2022 at 11:27 AM.
Old 09-01-2022, 05:43 PM
Stormy Monday
5th Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have an Android phone v10. Works just fine.
Old 09-01-2022, 07:21 PM
993TurboS
Burning Brakes

Received 263 Likes on 116 Posts

Can someone help me understand why would one prefer to enable the OEM wired AA remotely [Sima] and risk H/W warranty issus versus just plugging in an Ottocast U2-X dongle for a wireless AA experience? What am I not seeing ?
I know this is a few-month-old thread, but I just added AA to my 2020 Spyder for $0 with no assistance aside from reading rennlist and having an available 32GB SD card. And it took less time than taking it to a dealer. Not sure what warranty issue it would cause. It is PCM software that can be repeatedly overwritten. Not like it is going to blow the motor. Thanks a ton to all of the people like 718socal and MIB devs who made it possible.
Richardkun (09-02-2022)
Old 09-15-2022, 04:13 PM
markl951
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Ottocast with two different (Android) phones?

Anyone successfully using the Ottocast with two different (Android) phones?

Ottocast seemed like an easy no-mod solution, and I could also charge my phone from a separate PD capable phone charger at the same time. Decided to give it a try with my 2017 Macan GTS and up-to-date Pixel phones. Followed the instructions and got it running straight away. Checked FW. It came with 22081122.1502.2 installed which should "Support memorizing the names of two phones, support manual connection and switch two phones easily." since FW 20220730.1502.02

Getting it to connect to and use a 2nd phone is not seamless at all and the whole box just fails to operate at all sometimes from either phone. I'm somewhat patient with new tech but the wife is not, and the Macan is her primary ride.

I upgraded the FW to 22081921.1502.2 but no difference. At the time, it was the most stable FW version available for download from the link above. I used USB FW update method because the OTA method via the phone failed, and it didn't allow you to choose a stable version of FW anyway. Release notes are un-readable. This box is likely getting returned.
Old 11-04-2022, 04:17 PM
GoodRevrnd
Racer

Received 127 Likes on 68 Posts

Is wireless AA still not an option without a 3rd party dongle? And whether you are updating PCM or using a 3rd party dongle, is factory Nav incl. Porsche Connect required or can that option be skipped? There is no separate CarPlay config option, nor is it mentioned in the Nav PC option.

Quick Reply: Android Auto