Notices
718 GTS 4.0/GT4/GT4RS/Spyder/25th Anniversary Discussions about the 718 version of the GT4RS, GTS 4.0, GT4, Spyder and 25th Anniversary Boxster
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By: Cobb

Let's Talk Track Tires - 2022 Edition

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-2022, 09:45 PM
Reedy
Burning Brakes

Received 1,034 Likes on 457 Posts

Has anyone compared lap times between CUP 2's and A052's? I need new tyres and am deciding between them. Cup 2's are $2000 per set and A052's are $2600 AUD. Keen to hear anyones experience with how their lap times and respective durability compare If I can get more than 6 track days out of a set that would be great but I doubt the A052's last longer than the Michelin's do.

Last edited by Reedy; 03-18-2022 at 09:48 PM.
Old 03-19-2022, 01:16 PM
JCviggen
Rennlist Member

Received 1,508 Likes on 568 Posts

Originally Posted by Reedy
Has anyone compared lap times between CUP 2's and A052's? I need new tyres and am deciding between them. Cup 2's are $2000 per set and A052's are $2600 AUD. Keen to hear anyones experience with how their lap times and respective durability compare If I can get more than 6 track days out of a set that would be great but I doubt the A052's last longer than the Michelin's do.
Yoko significantly faster, the exact difference depends on the individual track. They also wear significantly faster. Softer sidewall so more vague steering but I don't find that a huge issue in a Porsche sports car. Biggest gain is in traction limited zones and slow corners.

If you happen to have a wet track at some point you can put 10 seconds between yourself and someone on Cup 2.
The following users liked this post:
Reedy (03-22-2022)
Old 03-19-2022, 01:21 PM
jmartpr
Rennlist Member

Received 1,457 Likes on 909 Posts

Originally Posted by JCviggen
Yoko significantly faster, the exact difference depends on the individual track. They also wear significantly faster. Softer sidewall so more vague steering but I don't find that a huge issue in a Porsche sports car. Biggest gain is in traction limited zones and slow corners.

If you happen to have a wet track at some point you can put 10 seconds between yourself and someone on Cup 2.
Hmmm...interesting. Will check them out as I never though of them as an option. Wonder how they compare to SC3Rs
Old 03-19-2022, 01:47 PM
JCviggen
Rennlist Member

Received 1,508 Likes on 568 Posts

Originally Posted by jmartpr
Hmmm...interesting. Will check them out as I never though of them as an option. Wonder how they compare to SC3Rs
I think it's fair to say that the 052 is aimed at the auto-x market. It's very soft so it works basically from ambient temp with little to no warm-up. Even on the regular road with temps only a little above freezing they stick. Like, full throttle in 1st gear with 470 HP and they just stay hooked. Stupid traction with no real warmup required. Like I said, ridiculously good on a wet track if standing puddles aren't an issue. Braking is comparable to cups, not really an improvement.

Wear rate is a big downside, but I don't find that they drop off as much as a cup 2 in terms of lap time over its life span. After 10-12 cycles you start to feel the edge of that massive traction being lost a little, but it's not terrible. Cup 2 hold thread for very long but the second half it's just hard rubber without much grip.

Cup 2 tend to do their fastest lap when they're brand new. 052 are very good brand new but they are at their absolute best after 2 or 3 cycles. It's important to cool them all the way down at that point though to get that crazy record lap grip on the first flier after that.
enduro (03-19-2022)
Old 03-19-2022, 02:16 PM
TurboCup87
Rennlist Member

Received 53 Likes on 39 Posts

Love to turn: On the Goodyears, What wheel widths and offsets are you using? Any rubbing or other issues?

Last edited by TurboCup87; 03-19-2022 at 02:18 PM.
Old 03-19-2022, 03:31 PM
Zhao
Drifting

Received 1,691 Likes on 937 Posts

Originally Posted by Reedy
RE71RS in 19s? You're one of the lucky few people who get access to that tire and there never was a bad bridgestone RE01 to Re71R so I'm sure that tire is even better than the old RE71R's
Old 03-21-2022, 08:39 PM
GT4_trip
Rennlist Member

Received 72 Likes on 41 Posts
Default Extreme contact force

Any one tried them on GT4 yet? Was a lot of hype when they were announced. Looking at sizes, only option would be 265/35 and 295/30 which would mess with the rake a bit. Curious if anyone has given these tires or this size a go?
Old 03-22-2022, 12:25 AM
Reedy
Burning Brakes

Received 1,034 Likes on 457 Posts

Originally Posted by Zhao
RE71RS in 19s? You're one of the lucky few people who get access to that tire and there never was a bad bridgestone RE01 to Re71R so I'm sure that tire is even better than the old RE71R's
I have used them on my Mazda and they were good but didnt last long at all. Also I am sticking with 20 inch wheels for now, might get 19's in the future but the ones I need now are to fit my OEM wheels.

I am not competing for any prizes so I will stick with CUP 2's for now. If my mate in his Lotus ends up threatening my lap times I might splash for A052's but while I am just driving for fun and not competitively I am keen to avoid getting into arms races.

Last edited by Reedy; 03-22-2022 at 12:30 AM.
Zhao (03-23-2022)
Old 03-22-2022, 10:42 PM
lovetoturn
Burning Brakes

Received 896 Likes on 460 Posts

Originally Posted by TurboCup87
Love to turn: On the Goodyears, What wheel widths and offsets are you using? Any rubbing or other issues?
Wheels are 9x19 ET50 and 11x19 ET48 Forgelines. The tires are 265/305-19s which fit ok but with a bit of rub on the inside of the top of the fenders. Already been through one set of tires without any damage to the them. The Gooodyears are slightly smaller to my first set of the now discontinued Trofeo Rs so they appear to fit a little better. I will be putting on motorsport camber plates since the front tires are pretty far out with the shim maxed out to get -3.02 and -3.05 of camber. Then I can remove a few mm of shim on the front LCAs to tuck the front wheels back in. A front offset of 55 could have solved this problem had I known better, but no one else had brought it up before.

The rubbing appears to be caused by the larger tires especially the 265 front tires. So if your are still running 245s in the front then maybe it wouldn't an issue. A 255/295 combo could also work well. I definitely like the 40mm stagger from front to rear over the stock 50mm of OEM stagger. Better bite into the corners, less understeer, and just better overall balance in the car for me. The car also rides a little lower than stock due to the original factory setting and then adding so much shim to the front and rear LCAs of the car to get the desired negative camber. It will be raised about 2mm the next time I adjust the alignment. All these things will fine tune the set up and should get rid of the tiny rub that I had with the Trofeos. I have yet to get the tar remover out to clean the rubber off of the wheel wells to see if the GYSC3Rs are currently rubbing.

Last edited by lovetoturn; 03-24-2022 at 12:41 AM.
Old 03-23-2022, 12:25 AM
DFW01TT
Burning Brakes

Received 522 Likes on 311 Posts

Originally Posted by lovetoturn
Wheels are 9x19 ET50 and 11x19 ET48 Forgelines. The tires are 265/305-19s which fit ok but with a bit of rub on the inside of the top of the fenders. Already been through one set of tires without any damage to the them. The Gooodyears are slightly smaller to my first set of the now discontinued Trofeo Rs so they appear to fit a little better...... snip ...I have yet to get the tar remover out to clean the rubber off of the wheel wells to see if the GYSC3Rs are currently rubbing.
Do you swap between street and track tires?
Old 03-23-2022, 12:36 AM
jwr9152
Burning Brakes

Received 352 Likes on 227 Posts

Wheels are 9x19 ET50 and 11x19 ET48 Forgelines. The tires are 265/305-19s which fit ok but with a bit of rub on the inside of the top of the fenders. Already been through one set of tires without any damage to the them. The Gooodyears are slightly smaller to my first set of the now discontinued Trofeo Rs so they appear to fit a little better. I will be putting on motorsport camber plates since the front tires are pretty far out with the shim maxed out to get -3.02 and -3.05 of camber. Then I can remove a few mm of shim on the front LCAs to tuck the front wheels back in. A front offset of 55 could have solved this problem had I known better, but no one else had brought it up before. The rubbing appears to be caused by the larger tires especially the 265 front tires. So if your are still running 245s in the front then maybe it wouldn't an issue. A 255/295 combo could also work well. I definitely like the 40mm stagger from front to rear over the stock 50mm of OEM stagger. Better bite into the corners, less understeer, and just better overall balance in the car for me. The car also rides a little lower than stock due to the original factory setting and then adding so much shim to the front and rear LCAs of the car to get the desired negative camber. It will be raised about 2mm the next time I adjust the alignment. All these things will fine tune the set up and should get rid of the tiny that I had with the Trofeos. I have yet to get the tar remover out to clean the rubber off of the wheel wells to see if the GYSC3Rs are currently rubbing.
I've got the same wheels and also run 265/305. Switching to the clubsport camber plates fixed the rubbing issue. I went ahead and added caster pucks later to get the caster closer to tolerance.
Old 03-23-2022, 10:31 PM
lovetoturn
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by DFW01TT
Do you swap between street and track tires?
Yes on occasion I do that. Easy with a large garage, two low jacks, and electric impact wrenches.
Old 03-23-2022, 10:36 PM
lovetoturn
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by jwr9152
I've got the same wheels and also run 265/305. Switching to the clubsport camber plates fixed the rubbing issue. I went ahead and added caster pucks later to get the caster closer to tolerance.
Camber plates are up next with probably some 60Nm Swift front springs at the same time. No real extra labor to install at the same time. It won't be RS stiff, but will certainly be an improvement over the current 45Nm ones. They will also blend in nicely with the standard rears, not over stress the shock tower mounts, and remain well inside the shock dampening characteristics of the standard PASM shocks. The caster pucks are great and further tighten up the steering response of the car.

SPRING RATIOS (front/rear)
GT4 Springs: 45/80 = 56%
Swift Upgrade: 60/80 = 75%
4RS Spring: 100/140 = 71%

The stock fronts are overly soft for the track but nice on the road. An upgrade to 60Nm front springs will balance the ratio to be more like the RS, which will help the handling balance of the car. Less nose dive under braking, more level in cornering, still compliant for some forgiveness, and less expensive. An easy upgrade for those who would like to stay closer to OEM. Then there is the full spring upgrade with the tried and true 80/100 Nm Swift package that so many people have already put into service.

Last edited by lovetoturn; 03-23-2022 at 10:51 PM.
Old 03-23-2022, 11:34 PM
TurboCup87
Rennlist Member

Received 53 Likes on 39 Posts

Wheels are 9x19 ET50 and 11x19 ET48 Forgelines. The tires are 265/305-19s which fit ok but with a bit of rub on the inside of the top of the fenders. Already been through one set of tires without any damage to the them. The Gooodyears are slightly smaller to my first set of the now discontinued Trofeo Rs so they appear to fit a little better. I will be putting on motorsport camber plates since the front tires are pretty far out with the shim maxed out to get -3.02 and -3.05 of camber. Then I can remove a few mm of shim on the front LCAs to tuck the front wheels back in. A front offset of 55 could have solved this problem had I known better, but no one else had brought it up before.

The rubbing appears to be caused by the larger tires especially the 265 front tires. So if your are still running 245s in the front then maybe it wouldn't an issue. A 255/295 combo could also work well. I definitely like the 40mm stagger from front to rear over the stock 50mm of OEM stagger. Better bite into the corners, less understeer, and just better overall balance in the car for me. The car also rides a little lower than stock due to the original factory setting and then adding so much shim to the front and rear LCAs of the car to get the desired negative camber. It will be raised about 2mm the next time I adjust the alignment. All these things will fine tune the set up and should get rid of the tiny that I had with the Trofeos. I have yet to get the tar remover out to clean the rubber off of the wheel wells to see if the GYSC3Rs are currently rubbing.
thanks for your thoughts. Useful information for all of us.
Old 03-24-2022, 05:02 PM
jwr9152
Burning Brakes

Received 352 Likes on 227 Posts

Camber plates are up next with probably some 60Nm Swift front springs at the same time. No real extra labor to install at the same time. It won't be RS stiff, but will certainly be an improvement over the current 45Nm ones. They will also blend in nicely with the standard rears, not over stress the shock tower mounts, and remain well inside the shock dampening characteristics of the standard PASM shocks. The caster pucks are great and further tighten up the steering response of the car.

SPRING RATIOS (front/rear)
GT4 Springs: 45/80 = 56%
Swift Upgrade: 60/80 = 75%
4RS Spring: 100/140 = 71%

The stock fronts are overly soft for the track but nice on the road. An upgrade to 60Nm front springs will balance the ratio to be more like the RS, which will help the handling balance of the car. Less nose dive under braking, more level in cornering, still compliant for some forgiveness, and less expensive. An easy upgrade for those who would like to stay closer to OEM. Then there is the full spring upgrade with the tried and true 80/100 Nm Swift package that so many people have already put into service.
Yep, I'm running the 80/100. I like it even on the street. I also went with the 30% stiffer DSC tune.

Quick Reply: Let's Talk Track Tires - 2022 Edition