Notices
718 GTS 4.0/GT4/GT4RS/Spyder/25th Anniversary Discussions about the 718 version of the GT4RS, GTS 4.0, GT4, Spyder and 25th Anniversary Boxster
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By: Cobb

Surprise allocation, finishing touches on build freeze in two weeks

Search this Thread

Old 06-24-2022, 02:18 PM
SpyderSenseOC
Rennlist Member

Received 1,321 Likes on 789 Posts

Originally Posted by Rich M
Here are the options on mine, all of which I am extremely happy with:
Carmine Red

Roadster Top in Black

Leather/Race-Tex Interior in Black/Carmine Red

Tachometer Dial in Carmine Red

GTS Interior Package

Wheels Painted in Silver

Fire Extinguisher

Smoking Package

Light Design Package

Steering Wheel and Gear Lever in Leather

BOSEÅs Surround Sound System

Navigation including Porsche Connect

Voice Control

Storage Compartment Lid in Race-Tex with Porsche Crest

Steering Column Casing in Leather

Headlight Cleaning System Covers Painted in Exterior Color

Door-Sill Guards in Stainless Steel, Illuminated

I don't feel the steering is necessary having driven some now, and I second the comment about navigation - which I like. I couldn't get your configuration to open, but the two I don't think have been mentioned are:

Illuminated door sill guards in stainless, which I got because they give the full length guards that I like better. The configurator picture incorrectly shows them as the short oval style like standard.

Steering column casing in leather, which to my eye makes the dash area look nicer.
I do like that Spec. The only thing I would change is I would go with the darker platinum wheels over the brighter silver. That deep Carmine red begs for a darker wheel.
Old 06-24-2022, 02:27 PM
Rich M
Advanced

Received 133 Likes on 37 Posts

Originally Posted by SpyderSenseOC
I do like that Spec. The only thing I would change is I would go with the darker platinum wheels over the brighter silver. That deep Carmine red begs for a darker wheel.
It's too late to help me, I already have the car

I was just trying to share the things I did and liked. I'm all old school silver wheels. I actually had the platinum selected as a compromise to my son's taste, but when I finally saw pictures of them on Carmine Red they looked "dirty" to me on that color for some reason. Totally happy, but I also know that's not the fashion now...

The following 3 users liked this post by Rich M:
SpyderSenseOC (06-24-2022), TripleL (06-27-2022), YetiMan (06-25-2022)
Old 06-24-2022, 09:16 PM
LZRD GRN
Rennlist Member

Received 152 Likes on 110 Posts

Originally Posted by manifold danger
Funny story- I'd get them if they were available. Can't even spec them.
I had my callipers painted for about 2k on my GT4, by a pro shop!

For that price you can change them up over time if you like...
Old 06-25-2022, 07:46 AM
manifold danger
Three Wheelin'

Received 1,133 Likes on 638 Posts

Originally Posted by LZRD GRN
I had my callipers painted for about 2k on my GT4, by a pro shop!

For that price you can change them up over time if you like...
The yellow might look good on Arctic Grey, but $2k for painted calipers doesn't strike a chord for me. The only way I'd consider it is with the carbon ceramics, which are not available on the GTS, at least not at the moment. If they were, I'd spend the extra money.

In the meantime I've convinced myself I need navigation even though I exclusively use CarPlay... the wife has an android, however, and I don't feel like having someone remote into my PCM from the Eastern Bloc to enable AA just to have wonky graphics and text and god knows what other unseen bugs... and the retrofit, as with nearly anything electronic on these cars, looks like a nightmare.
Old 06-25-2022, 08:47 AM
Dyim
Drifting

Received 1,021 Likes on 545 Posts

Personally I am not a fan of Porsche CF steering wheel either. The cutoff where one material changes to the next seems arbitrary.

IMO, mixing different materials on a steering wheel looks good if the wheel is not round.

My personal pet peeve is also to match the CF door sills with CF dash/ door/ centre console. A more cohesive theme. I leave the wheel out of it.

At the end of the day, it is your car. You will be the one driving and looking at it. You do what you like. No wrong choice here.
The following users liked this post:
DFW01TT (06-26-2022)
Old 06-25-2022, 09:08 AM
Dan Nagy
Rennlist Member

Received 2,212 Likes on 1,114 Posts

Champagne problems to be sure, but it's been one hell of a ride for me the past few months as a Porsche-file.!
- Porsche logo in satin black. I deleted the model alphabet soup and kept the Porsche lettering in silver. It adds a little bling to the back end.
- Smartphone compartment. Seems like a complete waste, but am I missing anything here? It’s a waste and takes up room in the bin. I think you also lose the charge port.
- Dashcam wiring. Sounds like a huge pain alleviated, as I'd have to pay a shop to do this anyway. Sounds like it's just plug and play with Porsche's own dashcam... has anyone else spec'd this, and how is it? Wish this was available when I bought mine.
- Power steering plus. My current 718 has this, my 981 did not. I don't think I notice a difference... except it seems that the 718 (with ps plus) has a more pronounced "acorn" effect. I think I'll leave this off but still curious if maybe I'm just not attenuated to its advantages. You don’t need it, waste of cash,
- Aluminum pedals. Seems like I could address this through the aftermarket; I've seen that Numeric has their own pedals I'd want to investigate as well. I haven't seen pictures or impressions of them outside of the configurator. They're relatively expensive so would want to know they're at least an upgrade before ticking the box. I prefer rubber, but some prefer the slippery surface of metal.
- Carbon fiber steering wheel. Appears to be a no-cost option, at least when selected with the premium package which for me is a must-have. Haven't seen one in person, anyone have impressions on using it? I've had this steering wheel in several cars, and had the alcantara in my 981 (sport wheel). I like alcantara but my wife hates it. She wins, but for me it's leather vs cf, and cost isn't a concern... I'm leaning carbon but just wondering if anyone thinks it sucks lol. I think it sucks. I didn’t want a slippery surface on the steering wheel and it will heat up in the summer.
- Considering just ordering an extra set of wheels and tires for winter. I ordered the new Michelin all-season high performance tires. I hated keeping an extra set of winter tires and going through that gyration.

Old 06-25-2022, 09:17 AM
sin911
Rennlist Member

Received 710 Likes on 432 Posts

Congrats on the allocation! Arctic Grey looks fantastic in photos and videos, though to my eyes it may be a better match for the more aggressive GT styling rather than GTS (despite having the same engine). Not a fan of Chalk myself as it’s too much of a off-white color. Agate is a fantastic color, and it suits the less eye catching GTS looks for me. Wish it was available on the GT4/Spyder actually.

To my eyes the rear end looks too busy with Porsche script along with model designation that never seems to end. So if you’re planning to keep the model designation then I would do black Porsche script; if you will delete model designation then silver/shiny Porsche logo is ok.

Not the biggest fan of having CF everywhere on the interior, so personally would skip the CF steering wheel.

If speccing CF interior bits (mentioned GTS interior package) so I would do CF door sills too to match it.

I have aluminum pedals specced from factory and would do it again rather than going aftermarket, though I do have aluminum trim on the interior too.

IDK how useful Smartphone Compartment is, probably would skip that. Don’t want to deal with putting my phone in the center console each time I get in the car.

As mentioned before, I would spec the $0 Smoking Package to avoid the open console hole.

Last edited by sin911; 06-25-2022 at 09:20 AM.
Old 06-26-2022, 01:09 AM
gregturek
Racer

Received 94 Likes on 56 Posts

Our SA made a good suggestion: XUB. Headlight Cleaning System Covers Painted in Exterior Color Porsche Exclusive Manufaktur.

Probably more important on lighter colors. His comment "It's a small thing, but once you see it you can't unsee it".
The following 2 users liked this post by gregturek:
Larry Cable (06-26-2022), sin911 (06-26-2022)
Old 06-26-2022, 08:10 AM
manifold danger
Three Wheelin'

Good suggestions. I think I'll get rid of the model designation on the rear; my current 718 is black so it doesn't bother me... I'd consider painting it to make it subtle but that adds complexity to cleaning and there's really no point- plus saves a couple hundred bucks.

Wife will have final say on painting the Porsche logo.

Still sort of on the fence on the steering wheel... I'm not a huge fan of the looks but honestly kind of prefer the surface... to me CF wheels are anything but slippery. Maybe under certain conditions it would be slippery, but CF or wood wheels have always felt like they had the most grip, to me. Leather wheels actually feel somewhat slippery to my hands, especially when cold. If my wife hadn't already overruled I'd probably get the Race-tex wheel for that reason. But overall I think the leather wheel does just look more cohesive and the CF wheel throws things off just enough where I'll stay away from it.

Good call on the headlight cleaning covers... you can't see them in the configurator but I saw a review video the other day and they are obnoxious once you notice them. I'll note though this was a German spec car in the review... my wife has my 718 right now so I can't go run out in the garage and look! I've never noticed them before but again, the car is black... I'll have to pay a little extra attention but if they exist at all they'll look better painted. What's a couple hundred on a $116k build?? (Although I am looking for things to cut to make the Nav a little less painful...)

Of course I'm still bouncing around color ideas. Especially knowing that a non-special color effectively pays for the Nav. Now that someone mentioned it, I started poking around with Agate in the configurator and it actually does look really good. The draw of Arctic is probably too strong though, and I don't think there will be too many of them around. Interesting someone mentioned about it looking better on the GT cars as there's so much to contrast with the GT4RS and all its carbon fiber bits and vents and slats... but then there's the Cayenne Turbo GT. To my eyes the color actually looks BETTER on the Cayenne than the GT4RS because there's more surface area. I won't know until I see a GTS that color though but I think it's a "safe" enough color so I can live with that...

Shark Blue, on the other hand... seems everyone who ordered a 992 GTS spec'd that color... I think there will be tons of Shark Blue cars.

Last edited by manifold danger; 06-26-2022 at 08:16 AM.
Old 06-26-2022, 09:24 AM
Dan Nagy
Rennlist Member

Shark Blue, on the other hand... seems everyone who ordered a 992 GTS spec'd that color... I think there will be tons of Shark Blue cars.
I must say that Shark Blue looks great on the BGTS and photos do not do it justice. I’ve see it on the VW Tiguan and it just not look good on that car - too much surface area, not the right angles. On the small, curvy, sensuous body of the 718, it’s fantastic. I think sports cars should be a bright color, but again, IMO. Having written that, I don’t think there is a bad color that can be applied to this car due to it’s curves.
Old 06-26-2022, 11:41 AM
manifold danger
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Dan Nagy
I must say that Shark Blue looks great on the BGTS and photos do not do it justice. I’ve see it on the VW Tiguan and it just not look good on that car - too much surface area, not the right angles. On the small, curvy, sensuous body of the 718, it’s fantastic. I think sports cars should be a bright color, but again, IMO. Having written that, I don’t think there is a bad color that can be applied to this car due to it’s curves.
It looks great. Never said it didn't... in fact my first "dream build" was shark blue with aurum wheels (I'm actually a big fan of the M2 CS in similar spec). A buddy of mine has a 992 Targa GTS in Shark Blue and it is arguably the most eye-catching car I've ever seen.

It's just... I'm going to be driving this car every day. It already gets enough attention in the white and black cars I've had already. If this was a weekender or track day special I'd go for the Shark Blue. But that's just me! Other folks don't mind and/or want the extra attention, and I totally get that. Plus the general philosophy that if it gets more attention, it's probably more fun to look at. That concept does not escape me.

My comment though is more in regards to the general fervor around the color and the popularity that I've observed- and anecdotally with local deliveries and just talking to people. It seems, to me, that about 75% of the people I've talked to who've ordered a Porsche sports car in the past year have selected Shark Blue! Plus, head on over to the 992 forum, there's a pic thread for the 992 as people started taking deliveries in the past couple months- SO many Shark Blues.

Seems you and I are not the only ones who like the color!
Old 06-26-2022, 04:34 PM
Dan Nagy
Rennlist Member

It looks great. Never said it didn't... in fact my first "dream build" was shark blue with aurum wheels (I'm actually a big fan of the M2 CS in similar spec). A buddy of mine has a 992 Targa GTS in Shark Blue and it is arguably the most eye-catching car I've ever seen.

It's just... I'm going to be driving this car every day. It already gets enough attention in the white and black cars I've had already. If this was a weekender or track day special I'd go for the Shark Blue. But that's just me! Other folks don't mind and/or want the extra attention, and I totally get that. Plus the general philosophy that if it gets more attention, it's probably more fun to look at. That concept does not escape me.

My comment though is more in regards to the general fervor around the color and the popularity that I've observed- and anecdotally with local deliveries and just talking to people. It seems, to me, that about 75% of the people I've talked to who've ordered a Porsche sports car in the past year have selected Shark Blue! Plus, head on over to the 992 forum, there's a pic thread for the 992 as people started taking deliveries in the past couple months- SO many Shark Blues.

Seems you and I are not the only ones who like the color!
You might consider GT Silver with the Black/red interior. It’s one of my favorite combos and under the radar. That interior works with white, gray and black, too. Gentian Blue is one that I think straddles the fence - cool looking without drawing too much attention. Honestly, like I wrote, there isn’t a bad color for this car IMO. I wouldn’t worry too much about it. The car is so fantastic that the paint will be the last thing on your mind as you drive it.
Old 06-26-2022, 04:38 PM
Dyim
Drifting

Received 1,021 Likes on 545 Posts

Agate is a nice color.

I have it on the Macan and my friend had an Agate 997 cab.

I have never seen an Arctic grey IRL.

My guess would be agate would fly under the radar more than arctic, but I am probably splitting hair here.

Having said that, I think any Porsche vert doesn't fly under the radar too much, especially with the top down.

For me, any open top car is a fun car for me, even if I DD it. So I don't mind going with loud colors. Suit the 'personality' of the car. Red top on my GT silver.
Old 06-27-2022, 10:42 AM
Translog
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

My personal preference would be to get the black calipers option. I did this on my all-black GT4.
Old 06-27-2022, 09:00 PM
manifold danger
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Translog
My personal preference would be to get the black calipers option. I did this on my all-black GT4.
All black I can get with. The black calipers don't really look bad on any color. I also like the splash of color. I didn't spec the car I have now but I like it.

For me, the arctic grey would look too monochromatic for my tastes if I went with the black calipers. I'm also doing the red GTS package to tie it together a bit. I have to admit it's very much due to how much I'm enjoying the black-on-red look I've got with my current car.

Quick Reply: Surprise allocation, finishing touches on build freeze in two weeks